Which animal ist this?

We've also these hedgehogs here. But when u see one, is flat like a piece of paper and on the road :rolleyes:

But yes, they are cute, one day i had a living one here... that even wasn't so scared and you could feed it.

But porcupine... never seen one and well they don't exist here.

:lol: I love the literal translation of Nova Scotia. :mrgreen:

Mh.. i really translated it from German... and i never spent one second thinking that Latin would be the correct translation

Last edited:
In that case it's interesting that your friend translated it into german. Also, syntactically you should have said Nova Scotia, Canada rather than Canada/Nova Scotia. :p

I'm not entirely convinced that porcupines are real. You only ever see them dead on the side of the road - methinks it's a conspiracy by the major tire manufacturers to destroy people's tires so as to make themselves more money.

I'm not entirely convinced that porcupines are real. You only ever see them dead on the side of the road
That reminds me of an anecdote of Rich Hall's that I might as well tell. :)

He was driving, trying to find a friend of his' farm. He pulled over and asked a local.
The local said "Go that way for about two miles. When you see a dead possum in the road, turn left."
"How do you know the possum will be there?" asked Rich Hall
Said the local "Would you move a dead possum?"
Canada/New Scotland
I can't say exactly why that is so pleasing, but it is :D
Oh shi- that's the mammal other than duckbilled platapi that lays eggs. I knew there was another but forgot what it was and couldn't be bothered to ever look it up.
II believe that the duck-billed platypus is still the only mammal to 'sweat' milk (rather than have nipples)

Since this has become the 'cute animal thread', I give you the Wombat:
2624_wombat.jpg

I believe that the duck-billed platypus is still the only mammal to 'sweat' milk (rather than have nipples)

This is true. It goes to show how primitive platypuses are in their design compared to other mammals.

I'll counter your cute marsupial with another:

http://img194.imageshack.**/img194/3787/babykoala.jpg

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of CuteOverload, but with not your typical animals :lol:

I only knew Neufundland (=Newfoundland?) and thats the real name isn't it? Or is it nova funterra or sth like that :lol:

Hahaha, yep, it's Newfoundland. Canada was influenced by so many cultures we can't even get our naming conventions straight. :lol:

Mhh... multicultural influence :? yes but I doubt Canada was influenced by the Romans :lol: so where does it come from :p

Well, it was renamed "Nova Scotia" from "Acadia" by King James I, who was King of Scots at the time, hence the Scottish connection. It's likely that Latin just happened to be in vogue with the royalty at the time and he thought it sounded good.

Giant Ant Eater napping on Mom

http://img38.imageshack.**/img38/3136/340954759555f3a7224fb45.jpg

Well, it was renamed "Nova Scotia" from "Acadia" by King James I, who was King of Scots at the time, hence the Scottish connection. It's likely that Latin just happened to be in vogue with the royalty at the time and he thought it sounded good.

Ah, I see, thx. :cool:

That reminds me of an anecdote of Rich Hall's that I might as well tell. :)

He was driving, trying to find a friend of his' farm. He pulled over and asked a local.
The local said "Go that way for about two miles. When you see a dead possum in the road, turn left."
"How do you know the possum will be there?" asked Rich Hall
Said the local "Would you move a dead possum?"

I can't say exactly why that is so pleasing, but it is :D

II believe that the duck-billed platypus is still the only mammal to 'sweat' milk (rather than have nipples)

Since this has become the 'cute animal thread', I give you the Wombat:
2624_wombat.jpg

To me Wombats look depressing... :| Koalas and Sloths look lazy. Not cute

Depressing?

wierd.

What about the Tree Kangaroo?
TreeKangaroo.jpg

To me Wombats look depressing... :| Koalas and Sloths look lazy. Not cute

What? How can you say Wombats look depressing:

http://img193.imageshack.**/img193/2098/aniwombatgallery550x393.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.**/img190/5479/128871101332903520.jpg

Getting back on topic for a moment, what the hell is this: