Which antivirus should I get?

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Paying for anti-virus, which prolly is the most important piece of software on your computer, is nothing but wise to do.

I'd rather spend my money on M$ OS

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I've had no problems with AVG 8, I find it even less obtrusive than 7.5 was. Updating no longer slaps a dialogue box on the screen that you can't get rid of. Updates don't seem to be a problem either.

lvnproficy

Car(s)
2006 Honda Accord
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've never heard of NOD32 before but the reviews seem very good so far. I'll install AVG 8 on my comp here and try out NOD32 on my other computer and see which one works out to be the best.

I would go for Kaspersky but it's a bit too out of my price range.

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Yeah, another vote for Nod32. Use it on all 5 computers in the house, with the workstation ones actually being legal. :D It's the only AV that's written in assembly, not any other higher level language, which dramatically reduces resource consumption. It also keeps an eye out for spyware and trojans. The updates are automagic, fast and numerous. I get about 2-3 pop ups a day (and that's the time that I'm actually at the pc), so the ESET team is constantly on the look out for new threats and ways to combat them. WELL worth the money.

Here's the list of definition updates and as you can see, I wasn't exagerating. http://www.eset.eu/support/update-xy1

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
It also keeps an eye out for spyware and trojans. The updates are automagic, fast and numerous.

I generally agree about NOD32 being a good antivirus program, however I think this is where it fails miserably - spyware and trojans.
I've been using NOD32 for 2 years now and it has killed all viruses that are actual files.
Three months ago I discovered I had some spyware and trojans on my pc, so I installed Spyware Doctor - it killed them all. NOD32 didn't even find them.

NOD32 also can't deal with the Vundo trojan.

GTV V6

Car(s)
Audi TT V6, Renault Megane Sport Tourer 110 dci
I've got ESET Smart security on my home PC a combination antivirus & firewall, bought and paid for, well worth it in my opinion.

You can also go the freeware route with AVG or Avast, both are good, I installed AVG on the last 3 PCs I dealt with for friends & Family.

Don't forget the firewall too, ESET SS has it built in. But you can also go the freeware route with Zonealarm or Kerio (now Sunbelt kerio personal firewall), Personally I go for the latter, it has less issues.

ShadowWings

Car(s)
Peugeot 207
I have both Eset Smart Security and Eset Anti Virus both are working very good.

nist7

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL
Yeah....stay far, faaaaaar away from McAfee/Norton.

AVG Free is perfectly fine.