Which book to buy?

matskulainen

I am going to buy The Big Book of "Top Gear" 2009 tomorrow, but I would also like to buy another TG-related book at the same time. I just don't know which book to buy, so I am asking for your opinion on which of the following books I should get:

1. (Richard Hammond) On The Edge: My Story

2. (James May) Notes from the Hard Shoulder

3. (Jeremy Clarkson) For Crying Out Loud: The World According to Clarkson v.3 (World According to Clarkson 3)

:welcome: to FG first of all!

1) A very interesting account of the hell his family went through. The sections written by his wife (during his coma) are very moving.

2) Haven't read.

3) All 3 of 'The World According To Clarkson' books are funny, interesting and a great read. Its the basis of how Clarkson became famous - by being outspoken and brash. Good stuff.

If you can afford them, I would get both Hammond's and Clarkson's. You'll enjoy them both.

I don't want anything too much car-related and technical. I would very much like to read something with a bit of a "behind the scenes -style" but the Big Book covers that area pretty well.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy and read all 3 books at some point and this is all basically just the hard selection on which to start with:lol: .

Earlier I was already leaning to Hammond's book but after reading some of Amazon's customer reviews I got scared about the fact that there is actually a BIG amount of chapters written by Mindy. Clarkson's book on the other hand is more freestyle...ish and I read the first few pages of it through Amazon (it was pretty nice). James' book, as shancmf mentioned, is a collection of his columns - and the negative thing is that nearly all of them can be read online from Daily Telegraph's website.

So: Despite writing this confusing message, I still have absolutely no idea which to buy.

How much TG-stuff does May's book include (if anyone knows)`?

EDIT: I searched a bit and found something about a new book from Hammond coming in January. Is this true? Because if so, then I don't think I'll buy On the Edge.

Last edited:
Earlier I was already leaning to [On the Edge] but after reading some of Amazon's customer reviews I got scared about the fact that there is actually a BIG amount of chapters written by Mindy.

Well, in a way, she kind of had to write at least some of it. Otherwise, there'd be quite sizeable gaps in the story.

I'm going to be getting this soon(ish) myself.

EDIT: I searched a bit and found something about a new book from Hammond coming in January. Is this true? Because if so, then I don't think I'll buy On the Edge.

I think As You Do has been released already in the UK.

I've heard the audiobook version of it (bits have been cut from the book). It is quite good. A good bit of it has to do with the Polar Special--particularly his preparation for it, as well as stuff not seen on TV--as well as a little on the Botswana special (how he found "Oliver", and some insight on the trek across). The book also gets into the first US road trip and meeting Evel Knievel--neither of which were included in the audiobook, unfortunately. There's a little non-TG-related content, too. I'll be getting the book version when it's released Stateside.

Clarkson's recent books are more collections of his columns, so you can get most of them from timesonline. As said before, May's Notes from the Hard Shoulder is also a collection of his columns and you can get lots of them from the Telegraph site. Reading online should tide you over until you save up the $ to go buy them.

On The Edge is good, mostly specific about the crash and the impact on the family (I think Mindy's actually a better writer than Richard, so she certainly doesn't harm the book in any way). But there is some background about Richard's early life and getting onto Top Gear. If you're more interested in TG background - As You Do is far more interesting about the big challenges and Richard's experiences, and is available now (got mine at the local Bookstore in trade paperback). More a companion book for the show than On The Edge.

Having read all of the above mentioned (both Hammond books) Personally I would recommend On The Edge. It is a somewhat emotional read thou and be prepared to at least tear :cry: up at more then one point. As mentioned Mindy is an excellent writer and does bring alot to the book that of course Richard couldn't. As you do is also excellent and again as mentioned is more TG related.

Both Mays and Clarksons books are a collection of their articles and while interesting may not be TG related in large sections as some of the articles were written quiet a period ago.

Dont think it really matters what you purchase all are good books. How about just lining them up shutting your eyes and taking pot luck :p

Good luck with your choice let us know which you decide on

At the moment I am getting a strangely strong attraction to buy Big Book + As You Do:think:

I can very much recommend 'On The Edge' instead of the others. It will give you an insight to the crash that you havent read anywhere else.
I read books very rarely, finishing them is even more rare, but I went through 'On The Edge' just in a few weeks.

really enjoyed On the Edge and i've read one of Clarkson's books. its a good read. haven't got around to buying the recent Hammond book but it is on my list of books i have to get.
On the Edge i found a great insight into Hammond, his early life, starting a career in media and his eventual arrival on Top Gear, really enjoyed reading about the first meeting between Clarkson and Hammond.

I saw a copy of 'As you do' in Aus a couple months back or so.
So that's been out for ages, especially considering what kind of mall I was in.

I've read and have every book the TG three have put out - although I cheated with As You Do and got it as an audiobook instead (no time to sit and read).

Very few of them are THAT Top Gear related - As You Do is probably the most 'behind the scenes' of all the books - the others (especially the more recent Clarkson books) are collections of columns - some of which DO talk about what they've been up to on the show.

Personally my favourites are the James May books as I prefer his writing style but he doesn't write about TG that often. My favourite of his books so far is James May's Magnificent Machines as you can really feel his passion fo technology and innovation - nothing TG though.

Personally my favourites are the James May books as I prefer his writing style but he doesn't write about TG that often. My favourite of his books so far is James May's Magnificent Machines as you can really feel his passion fo technology and innovation - nothing TG though.

yup, thats what I would recommend too. has to do with writing style etc, so it's highly subjective

I'm reading Magnificent Machines at the moment, and have to agree with upyourego, James has a really good writing style, easy to read, gets the story across even with it gets into the technical side of things, you understand his appreciation and respect for "men in sheds". I think his are the books you'll hang on to, whereas, particularly Clarkson's, may end up at the Bookfair (gasp! no!) in a few years raising money for local charities. Personally, I reckon James should have the honorary PhD for Engineering rather that Jezza.

Guys, I have just bought The TG Big Book 2009 and.....get ready...wait for it...wait for it........On the Edge.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new topic for pretty much no reason.

So, I only started reading On the Edge yesterday at about 7.-7.30 PM and I just finished it a few moments ago (took only a day to read)! It was truly an amazing book and I'm happy I chose it.

I already ordered As You Do and am very much looking forward to receiving it (as well as the other books written by TG Presenters [yes - I'm going to get all of them] ).

I'd also recommend James May's 20th Century. But then, I'm a geek. :D Though the Big Book of Top Gear is apparently hilarious. :D

Does anyone know if "The World According to Clarkson" (1st one) is available as an audio book? I see it is listed as one in Mininova - does anyone know what that torrent contains?

If it's a torrent, then I'm guessing it might be a zipped file but i'm not sure (I got the audiobook of On the Edge on mininova and that was a zipped file).

Anyway, You'll enjoy As You Do. I'm halfway through that at the moment and it's a really good description of what happened behind the scenes to what became The Polar Special, Africa, The Channel Crossing and his Evel Knievel Doco. There's also a chapter about during the '07 floods when he rescued his mate from them.

Anyway, I haven't read Jeremy's or James's books, but I do read their columns on the internet and that's fine by me.

And when I have enough money, i'm gonna buy the The Big Book of Top Gear.