Which cheap and cheerful car for ringmeet?

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
I'm maybe planning on attending ringmeet, but as I currently don't own a car and have a fuel card from my employer with 250 Euros to burn (literally...) I might just buy a cheap car to bring me to the 'ring and back and put a couple of laps in for good measure.

The obvious choice would be an MX-5 NA or NB, but they aren't really cheap anymore, the cheapest ones which are drivable I found in the vicinity (Hamburg + 100 km) are about 3500 Euros. I could afford that, but ideally I'd like to spend less than 2000 Euros. It doesn't have to be the prettiest thing in the world, but it should have enough TÜV to attend ringmeet and sell it afterwards with a couple of months to spare.

If there is something a bit further away than 100 km from Hamburg I could take the train, but then the car would have to be in a city where you are able to take a train to so cheap cars in rural areas more than 100 km away are out.

If you have any current offerings on mobile.de, autoscout24.de or ebay-kleinanzeigen.de which fit the description it would be much appreciated. :)

I second a Ka. If you can get a Lufthansa edition, even better. I might even buy it from you. 😁

Keine Ahnung or Ford Ka? :razz: That said, I might even consider a Streetka. 1136 kg dry weight and 95 hp doesn't sound too bad, it's a convertible and there are offerings for less than 2000 Euros in the vicinity to boot...

Lufthansa edition
A whatnow? There was a Lufthansa edition of the Ford Ka? :huh: I guess those little snotboxes never peaked my interest so I have never heard of that...

I saw a Streetka a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in years. I support this idea.

A whatnow? There was a Lufthansa edition of the Ford Ka? :huh: I guess those little snotboxes never peaked my interest so I have never heard of that...

Yes, for whatever reason, Lufthansa wanted to tie their name to cheapest pile of shit Ford made at the time. 😂

Well, kaka. Sounds like you need a Ka.

(Or a similarly enjoyable peanut. mobile.de's sub-€500, current TÜV, price ascending search is one of the few for-sale things online that's actually amusing to look through, haha.)

Yes, for whatever reason, Lufthansa wanted to tie their name to cheapest pile of shit
...not sure if talking about a car or the partnership with United 👀

I comply with the idea of getting a Ford Ka Lufthansa Edition. I actually set up a <€500 search on mobile.de, and the first three results I've got were all in fact Ford Kas. I do admit, I did search for Ford Ka Lufthansa Editions beforehand, so that might've influenced the algorithm.

What's so special about the Lufthansa Edition that it's apparently sought after? According to wikipedia it's a bunch of stuff with Lufthansa branding (leather seats in Lufthansa Business Class design and some badges in the interior and on the A pillars) plus a bit of stuff which I'm mostly not interested in (passenger airbag, better audio system - mind you, that was 25 years ago so it's gonna be very dated by now, rear headrests, leather interior). Most Streetkas I found do have leather interior as well and let's be honest a convertible is always better than everything else. Additionally the Streetka was only available with the most powerful engine (95 hp) while the one Ka Lufthansa Edition I found for sale has a whopping 60 hp, that's definitely not cheerful...

What's so special about the Lufthansa Edition that it's apparently sought after? According to wikipedia it's a bunch of stuff with Lufthansa branding (leather seats in Lufthansa Business Class design and some badges in the interior and on the A pillars) plus a bit of stuff which I'm mostly not interested in (passenger airbag, better audio system - mind you, that was 25 years ago so it's gonna be very dated by now, rear headrests, leather interior). Most Streetkas I found do have leather interior as well and let's be honest a convertible is always better than everything else. Additionally the Streetka was only available with the most powerful engine (95 hp) while the one Ka Lufthansa Edition I found for sale has a whopping 60 hp, that's definitely not cheerful...

Yea exactly! I’ve had a weird soft spot for them because it’s such a dumb partnership.

Lufthansa Edition is mostly an insider joke around Chris' adventures in Germany, I think.
StreetKa is much better!

Lufthansa Edition is mostly an insider joke around Chris' adventures in Germany, I think.
StreetKa is much better!

Pretty much this.

StreetKa would be... better? Is any Ka actually good? :ROFLMAO:

Are Twingos out of the picture?

Audi A3 125 horsies:

Hmm, looks like a French version of the Honda CRX:

Last edited:
You little fuckers... :x :razz:

StreetKa would be... better? Is any Ka actually good? :ROFLMAO:
At least it's a convertible and should be within my budget...

If you find me a pink one, I'll buy it as long as it is roadworthy and within my budget. :yes: Instant guarantee forthe ringmeet award for the gayest car (again, after the Swift convertible way back in 2014). :yes:

Only things I can say against the Ka Is they rust around the fuel filler and when I drove my mother’s I would keep pulling the gear knob off in 2nd and 4th. Not sure either apply to the StreetKa.

"Für Gewerbe und Export" (for traders and exporters) - nope ;-)

Otherwise a fine specimen of ... err, whatever that is....

P.S.: mobile.de showed me this CAPTCHA (choose all tiles with bicycles) - does the webserver know that I'm cycling a lot? :ninja:

1656835650068.png

3 1/2 hours (plus walking, might be an hour if it's outside of the city) away by train for a neither cheap nor cheerful car? No thanks... ;)

I think I'll stick to a Streetka, for example this one: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/ford-street-ka/2110098918-216-26475
Or if I can find one maybe an MGF which has a better power to weight ratio and is mid engined and rear wheel drive... :think: