Which cheap and cheerful car for ringmeet?

Pretty much this.

StreetKa would be... better? Is any Ka actually good? :ROFLMAO:

Are Twingos out of the picture?

Audi A3 125 horsies:

Hmm, looks like a French version of the Honda CRX:

Hey, @Eye-Q let me know if these are shit options. Does it have to be a Cabrio?

Well, the A3 is just a Golf in a tuxedo, a Twingo is boring. The only one remotely interesting is the C4 Coupé, but most of the available ones have the smallest engine which means 88 hp, and that isn't cheerful. :( It doesn't have to be a Cabrio, but it's a big plus if it is. ;)

MGF is a great way to turn a cheap car purchase into a big investment. I almost got one but saw sense. :p

I would suggest another Swift :lol:

What about a Paseo convertible?

Oh come on, we all know the golf is the safe option. :D

Those 316's exist to annoy people, like the current 4 series. :D

If it were me, I'd choose either the Polo, or A4 if it was manual, same for the 320i.

I will say, someone brought an imported MGF to the aircooled VW rally I just did around Austin and it kinda stole the show. Americans are all like, WHAT IS THIS?! We never got it here, haha.

(Maybe that's where you send it before you have to deal with its problems?)

Pretty much this.

StreetKa would be... better? Is any Ka actually good? :ROFLMAO:

Are Twingos out of the picture?

Audi A3 125 horsies:

Hmm, looks like a French version of the Honda CRX:

Ooooooooh *I* like this A3

(mostly because of the green, NGL)

(Also a fan of the Prelude, but no TÜV might be ???? ?????? on a short-notice lulz-car and the ad already notes it needs rust repair. Also^2, lol the track I hang out at all the time used to have one of these A4 Avants to schlep things around. Fun car. Hung out the back of it taking pics of stuff. I accidentally splattered the inside with mud when I went off on a wet day just hooning it around. Good times, good times.)

Last edited:
One addendum: I don't like autotragics so only manuals allowed. :razz:

Get a Pluriel, and leave the roof at home.
You've never actually been at the Eifel, right? :razz: There's almost no chance that the weekend will be completely dry so I'll only get a wet butt...

MGF is a great way to turn a cheap car purchase into a big investment. I almost got one but saw sense. :p
Don't care, as long as it survives the 'ring weekend. I'll sell it afterwards anyway.

I would suggest another Swift :lol:

What about a Paseo convertible?
I actually thought about another Swift since our first survived romanian roads and a good amount of 'ring laps, but they're few and far between. Paseos are the same, either very far away or too expensive for what I'm planning.

I know why I didn't find those: they're either boring (c'mon, 60 HP Polo? Golf? A4?), need work (Prelude), autotragics (320i) or underpowered-ish (the 316s).

She just keeps on going. Need more than 200 horses?

V6 Jaaaaaaaag
Mondeo ST220?!?!!?
Relive the Ring TG episode in your 3l S-Type Jaaaaaaaag
V6 Saab are you kidding

All of these are excellent, can vouch
All of these except for the ST220 are autotragics so they're out for me. I know I haven't specified that before, but that's the way it is, I don't like autotragics. The ST220 might actually be alright, but no TÜV, it stood for a couple of months and isn't registered so I'd have to get temporary plates to just test drive it and there's the gamble if it passes TÜV with the knocking joint when you corner.

I have contacted the seller of this Streetka, it's still available and registered and I will have a test drive later this week. Let's see if I can live with that thing even for this short amount of time...

One addendum: I don't like autotragics so only manuals allowed. :razz:

You've never actually been at the Eifel, right? :razz: There's almost no chance that the weekend will be completely dry so I'll only get a wet butt...

Don't care, as long as it survives the 'ring weekend. I'll sell it afterwards anyway.

I actually thought about another Swift since our first survived romanian roads and a good amount of 'ring laps, but they're few and far between. Paseos are the same, either very far away or too expensive for what I'm planning.

I know why I didn't find those: they're either boring (c'mon, 60 HP Polo? Golf? A4?), need work (Prelude), autotragics (320i) or underpowered-ish (the 316s).

All of these except for the ST220 are autotragics so they're out for me. I know I haven't specified that before, but that's the way it is, I don't like autotragics. The ST220 might actually be alright, but no TÜV, it stood for a couple of months and isn't registered so I'd have to get temporary plates to just test drive it and there's the gamble if it passes TÜV with the knocking joint when you corner.

I have contacted the seller of this Streetka, it's still available and registered and I will have a test drive later this week. Let's see if I can live with that thing even for this short amount of time...

Has more power than the Polo. Win. 😁

Combo breaker here. Get something shit and rwd, i.e. Sierra or Bugeye Scorpio. Even a 9-series Volvo should be within budget.

You mean like so? https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/ford-sierra-tuev-trift-tracktool-alles-pu/2133415722

Hmm... :think:

Volvo 7- or 9-series are surprisingly not that cheap, but that gave me an idea - what about (I think) the only Volvo with pop-up headlights, the 480? It only weighs a hair above a ton and it's at least quirky... :mrgreen:
I know, I bought the cheapest 940 available in Germany last year ;-)

480 is cool and quirky. Reputation for electrical problems and parts available do not have to concern you for short term use.
But it's fwd.

All that being said, get the Sierra. It's shit, it's cheap, it's local, it has TÜV.

480ES is one of my original dream cars but they are by now both shit and expensive (which they were new, too!) Off the top of my head I can't remember anything about them that isn't trouble, between bad electrics, severe rust and Renault engines. The Schlafaugen don't work reliably either.

I still want one, but it'd need to be really good.

Here's a cheap and crappy MX-5 NB for two grand. It has ... marks from use but it's cheap and very sellable, with TÜV til October. Heck, you could even sell it abroad in the meet?