Which episodes of TG should I show to the unconverted?

Aston v. Train race.

Yes.

This was the first episode I watched of Top Gear, and it just blew me away. I have since religiously followed TG. Not only the Aston v. Train but the Apache vs. Exige.

Season 4, Episode 1 ftw.

Winter Olympics, Amphibious Car episodes (either of them), or the limo challenge. They show the structure of the show but are still incredibly hilarious. After that, toss in the Africa or Polar special. I think the Vietnam special is best appreciated after you get a good feel for the hosts' personalities.

The first episode that got my brother hooked, was 08x06 (caravan holiday). Had it on in the kitchen where the family were eating and since then my brother now watches it.

My mother always asks me to borrow the video that 08x06 was recorded on so she can watch it. She still has it actually.

I was going to mention the caravan one, totally agree. :lol:

If I was trying to get someone into Top Gear, I'd have to take into consideration how much of a car nut they are, what kind of cars they like, what they laugh at/find interesting.

For example, one of my favorite segments was the Evo vs. Lambo bit, but I know that'd probably be a turn-off to a guy who doesn't care about either of those two cars. But if someone's favorite car was the Evo, guess what I'd end up showing them? :)

I keep trying to drag other film majors into TG...and might focus on eps with amazing film work there, like maybe the recent part on the Focus RS with all the crazy lighting setups. I still can't believe they made a Focus (albeit a souped-up fun one, but still: a Focus!) look amazing in that.

Someone who doesn't care much about cars or just wants to see something funny, though? Go with the specials, like the Botswana or the amphibious episodes. Crazy boat action FTW.

Last edited:
The first episode that got my brother hooked, was 08x06 (caravan holiday). Had it on in the kitchen where the family were eating and since then my brother now watches it.

My mother always asks me to borrow the video that 08x06 was recorded on so she can watch it. She still has it actually.

Yes I would agree as well. There needs to be some kinda of 1hr demo video of top gear to introduce new people. I would include the caravan holiday, some really good news segment, a car review of some crazy car, and of course jay leno or mark wahlberg for all us americans.