Which female should replace Hamilton on the US $10 banknote in 2020?

stiggie

pop
Car(s)
Golf GTI
The US Treasury have announced that when the design of the $10 note is replaced in 2020, it will feature a woman, rather than a man. Only two women have ever appeared on US banknotes- Martha Washington and Pocahontas, both in the mid-1800's. They won't decide which female figure will be adorning the new note until later this year.

Who do you think it should be?

Given all the stuff that has been happening lately with cops using excessive force and killing so many African Americans I can think of no better candidate than Rosa Parks.

Keeping Hamilton is not an option, they are definitely replacing him. It is just a matter of who to replace him with. The treasury pointed out in their announcement that 2020 will be the 100th anniversary of female suffrage in the US, so don't be surprised if it is a suffragette. I guess Susan B. Anthony would be the front-runner.

- - - Updated - - -

Rosa Parks would be a good choice.

Nellie Bly should be considered.

Given that Hamilton was non-controversial and nobody was asking for him to be replaced, I have to wonder why they're doing this. Jackson was being targeted for replacement because he was a genocidal maniac. Hamilton did nothing worse than getting killed by Aaron Burr.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la m?me chose...

Watching Neil's take on American banknotes, you kind of start to think that maybe they should change all of them.

He makes a good point. Just looking at our currency down here I notice that, of all the people who have appeared on notes since we switched from pounds to dollars in 1966, political figures don't figure very prominently. The Queen appears on the $5 note and the first female member federal parliament (Edith Cowan in 1921) appears on the $50 note. The rest are writers, poets, inventors, scientists, aviation pioneers, explorers, a WWI general, the guy who discovered how to produce penicillin, an renowned opera singer and people who worked for social equality and civil rights. We haven't had a single Prime Minister appear on our banknotes.

- - - Updated - - -

I knew somebody would say that eventually. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hilary Clinton.

Miss Piggy?

Bet you weren't expecting that one! :tease:

Miss Piggy?

Bet you weren't expecting that one! :tease:

No, you got me with that one. :lol:

[Bad joke] I hope whoever they select, she's naked! [/bad joke]

Seriously though, there are many deserving women from US history. It'll be interesting to see who is selected.

There will be a public consultation period of some sort, so people will get to have their say if they are interested.

Stephen fry? Oh wait...

Well, Ben Franklin was not a president, and he's on the $100, so it definitely doesn't need to be a president.

Last edited:
Hamilton wasn't a president either. was he?

Edit: No, he wasn't. He was the first Secretary of the Treasury.

Last edited: