Which Mercedes? (slow internet warning-pics)

Which Mercedes? (slow internet warning-pics)

• 1929 SSK Roadster, I like the style and character of old cars

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • 2009 SL65 AMH Black Series, I like modern performance and reliability

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Id have both, I appreciate classics but I also like modern technology

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
So im bored, and procrastinating from school work, and I decided to make kind of a random poll. The choices are two cars from Mercedes Benz, one: a beutiful old classic, and the other: a modern supercar. The biggest difference between the two is their level of technology; the AMG is arguably the modern equivalent of the SSK. they were build for very similar purposes, just 80 years apart.

which one would you rather own and drive? (imagine fuel costs, maintenance, garage space, etc... are not problems)

Choice #1: 1929 SSK Roadster with coachwork by Murphy:

29_Mercedes_SSK_Murphy_Rdstr_DV_06-.jpg

29_Mercedes_SSK_Murphy_Rdstr_DV_-2.jpg

29_Mercedes_SSK_Murphy_Rdstr_DV_-3.jpg

29_Mercedes_SSK_Murphy_Rdstr_BY_05_.jpg

29_Mercedes_SSK_Murphy_Rdstr_DV_-1.jpg

2414-6.jpg

Choice #2: 2009 SL65 AMG Black Series:

Mercedes-Benz-SL65-AMG-2009-wide-2.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-SL65-AMG-2009-wide-1.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-SL65-AMG-2009-wide-5.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-SL65-AMG-2009-wide-4.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-SL65-AMG-2009-wide-3.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-SL65-AMG-2009-widescr.jpg

so, which one? and no, theres no "neither" choice, if you just dont like Mercedes, get out of this thread:p

edit: oh ffs, I misstyped AMG in the poll >.< fix pls???

Last edited:
SSK, just gorgeous.

The SSK without a doubt, I imagine it's hopeless on the road nowadays, but it is just so much more classy looking that the SL63.

With the SL, you just look that you have a lot of money!

Both. I'd have the SSK for the looks and the SL65 Black for the dynamics. (If you have money to buy both, you have money for a regular tire bill after track days. :D )

I'd even prefer a Smartcar over that old thing

Old cars scare the crap out of me, I'll take the Black.

Would you look at that interior!

It's not the Mercs I'd have though- I'd prefer a CLS63 or a C63 because I heart V8 saloons.

I would skip both, but if i had to take one i would go for SL65. These before 40's cars don't really get me exited at all. They are nice cars to know and to understand car companies history and all, but i can just buy Mercedes-Benz history book for that.

I'd take the SSK no doubt, preferably Ralph Lauren's "Count Trossi" version.

Both. Why not?

Sure the SSK is one HELL of a lot nicer to look at than the SL Black, but if someone was just giving them both away, you'd have to be a total fool to not take both....

Oh??... it's my money??... Yeah then the SSK, and just.

Sl Black without a doubt. I would drive it constantly, ragging it around the twisty roads near where I live, blast down the autobahn and the Nurburgring. Much as I do love the SSk with all my heart, I know all I would ever do with it is polish it. The Sl can be driven any day.

Both. I'd have the SSK for the looks and the SL65 Black for the dynamics. (If you have money to buy both, you have money for a regular tire bill after track days. :D )

I love how some ppl cannot follow the rules of the game and refuse to make a choice.

My gut tells me to get the SSK, it has real character, looks special, is beautiful and i can be assured i won't pass by another on the road anytime soon.

However my brain says to get the SL, because maintaining an running an antique car like the SSK would be a nightmare and i'd like to drive the car a little more often than the occasional drive and concourse show.

The downside to the SL is, its nothing really special, just another faster, more expensive version of a car that there are thousands of on the roads now. Plus its a car that will not be universally recognized as special and in fact just plain juvenile and with far less class than thee classic SSK.

However in this modern world $$ talks and the SL would still be warrantied by MB being a new car, so i would pick it and leave the SSK to ppl like Ralph Lauren who have way too much money.

The results are really making my head hurt.....

There is an option saying you can have both.....and the rules also state that running costs, maintenance, garage space etc. are NOT issues/problems...

Sooo....who the hell would'n have both given this option ?? Why would you pass on the other one if were to be given both ?? I am really struggling with this one. I don't care if you wouldn't need the other one, it's a damn free, expensive car !!