Which Mercedes? (slow internet warning-pics)

Which Mercedes? (slow internet warning-pics)

• 1929 SSK Roadster, I like the style and character of old cars

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • 2009 SL65 AMH Black Series, I like modern performance and reliability

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Id have both, I appreciate classics but I also like modern technology

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
I think picking both is cheating, so I picked the SSK, just because I love old cars.

I?m always in favor of the classic on these polls so I?ll vote for SSK ...

But ... given the choice between an SL63 Black and any classic Merc ...

I?d pick this:
The "Autobahn-Kurier"

1934_MercedesBenz_540KAutobahnkurier8.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3604.html :drool:

The results are really making my head hurt.....

There is an option saying you can have both.....and the rules also state that running costs, maintenance, garage space etc. are NOT issues/problems...

Sooo....who the hell would'n have both given this option ?? Why would you pass on the other one if were to be given both ?? I am really struggling with this one. I don't care if you wouldn't need the other one, it's a damn free, expensive car !!

If I took both, I would sell the SL65 immediately. But the real question is which one do you want more, and the SSK easily wins that for me.

How about neither? I'd have an SLR 722 GT and a CLK Black.

hmm, maybe I shouldnt have put in an option for both, that does kind of make it too easy

I just figured there might be people who would appreciate both cars for what they are, even though they are so different

The SSK. ok it's not as reliable as the SL, but a lot more rarer then a modern Merc. A SL Black suggest a shitload of cash and a racing attitude eg a lot of nouveau riche. A SSK on the other hand suggest real passion and Style IMHO. :D

hmm, maybe I shouldnt have put in an option for both, that does kind of make it too easy

I just figured there might be people who would appreciate both cars for what they are, even though they are so different

Nope, that was not a good decision, should have made the poll just one or another. I understood the spirit and intent of your poll, but you kind of messed it up with the 'both' option. Plus i'm sure your point was for ppl to make a difficult decision and weigh the pros/cons of each choice and the way those chose is reflective of their tastes/personalities.

But by giving the 'both' option, you give ppl an excuse to not have to think and choose the easy way out.

Who says we don't?

If I had to show up at an event (and if I owned a Mercedes, that's what it'd be used for), it'd have to be in the SSK.

Nope, that was not a good decision, should have made the poll just one or another. I understood the spirit and intent of your poll, but you kind of messed it up with the 'both' option. Plus i'm sure your point was for ppl to make a difficult decision and weigh the pros/cons of each choice and the way those chose is reflective of their tastes/personalities.

But by giving the 'both' option, you give ppl an excuse to not have to think and choose the easy way out.

jeez, I admitted I screwed it up, no need to rub it in:p

Who says we don't?

I ddint mean that, I was just saying adding the both choice in the poll kind of spoiled the purpose of it, thats all.

the poll was kind of secondary anyway, I just wanted to see the discussion that would happen with this mostly.

I wanted to wait till there were at least a few replies to say my choice, so I could see what others had to say, but my choice would be the SSK. of course the SL Black is nice, and of course I wouldnt turn down an offer to drive one, especially on a track.

but with this choice I thought of Jeremy Clarkson's comparison of the Ferrari 575 and Aston Martin Vanquish. I know those are both new, but I think this still applies. if you pulled up to a party in the SL, everyone there would secretly hate you. but with the SSK, youd be the most interesting person there before you even said a word. I think even people who dont know anything about cars would realize the SSK is something special, while theyd probably not give the SL a second thought. but i dont pick cars because of what people think of them. I think driving the SSK would turn almost any drive into an adventure. it has pretty much every fearure I like in a car from that time, the long curvy fenders, the boat tail rear end, cut out doors, an engine with more liters than cylinders, and a nice long hood. I havent actually heard an SSK running, but id imagine I could listen to the sound it makes all day!

a modern one please, anytime!

but with this choice I thought of Jeremy Clarkson's comparison of the Ferrari 575 and Aston Martin Vanquish. I know those are both new, but I think this still applies. if you pulled up to a party in the SL, everyone there would secretly hate you. but with the SSK, youd be the most interesting person there before you even said a word.

I can see why a social person would care about that, but this is an internet forum.

The modern one. It will be a thriller and a pussy magnet! :p

Seriously, I chose the new one because it looks way too good. And sorry, as someone born in the IT age, the tech toy is simply awesome :D

Maybe we should add another dimension to the discussion.

Here is the sound of a 1927 Mercedes Benz Typ 680 S, as it climbs up a winding road.

It's a 6.8 liter engine with a Roots supercharger, that comes to life in the second part of the audio file. When it turns on, the power goes from 120 to 180 hp in an instant.

Now I don't know about you but that noise will definitely turn some heads. I also recommend connecting a subwoofer :)

27_Mercedes_S_J_Sauotchik_Rdstr_DV-06-MDB_01.jpg

Last edited:
Um, 180hp from a 6.8 is not exactly my idea of fun even if it sounds good.

Um, 180hp from a 6.8 is not exactly my idea of fun even if it sounds good.

rofl, I'd cry if my 6.8 is only pushing out 180bhp.

Modern Technology FTW!