which should i choose?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
right i wanna get a new lens

basically everyone just threw money at me for christmas instead of buying something and combined with some left over cash i have a nice chunk to get something good with.

i am after a new phone, but im getting an upgrade in january anyway

there is 2 lenses i would like, but i can only get one.

Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS http://photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_70300_456is/index.htm

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM EX DC
http://photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1020_456/index.htm

its quite a tough decision i think because on the one hand i like sports photography where the long reach and IS will no doubt come in handy, but i also like shooting in close quarters where the sigma will excel.

now the Canon is actually the most expensive here, but there is a guy selling one on ebay right now for ?250+ shipping of ?18 USED. that is a steal i think given the lens retails for ?350+

unluckily no one is selling a Sigma 10-20mm used on ebay and the cheapest prices i can find for that are ?200 ish + ?40-50 shipping from Hong Kong (which im a little uneasy about if im honest)

should i just go for the canon?

been looking on flickr, searching for shots taken with each lens..... im really feeling the sigma, especially at its wide end

EDIT: fuck this shit im sold, at least on flickr the sigma seems to producing the most interesting shots of the two, espeically at 10mm. the canons shots are super sharp but it would seem the uses for that lens stop at gigs and wildlife....neither of which i do. it would be good for motorsport and swimming though but i dont get to motorsport events too much and with swimming its the same, plus im usually the one swimming! lol.

so i think the sigma is gonna be the one, does anyone have any experience with buying from those ebay stores located in HK? i assume they are just fine, but being in HK means sorting things out when it goes tits up is gonna be difficult.

im going to head down to RGB in town tomoro and try these two lenses anyway. see which i like best.

Last edited:
All I can say is that my bf used the canon at Le Mans this year and got some pretty nice pictures :thumbup: so it can be used for that too.

it's kind of hard to tell you since they're totally different lenses for two totally different purposes...

yeah i think ill be happy with which ever i buy

think i will go with the sigma, been thinking about it and i reckon ill get more use out of that thing until summer where ill actually be free to go to see races n stuff, hopefully ill have a summer placement as well so affording it wont be a problem either.

be spending a lot of time indoors doing work so i reckon i can eek some fun out of the sigma in those times of boredum sat in engineering CAD'ing things up.

still that canon is a bloody good price.

mgkdk you got a link to any of those shots?

I have the Sigma 10-20 and I adore it!

yeah tried the sigma out today.... i fucking loved it. they said they got 12 70-300mm IS's in over xmas and all 12 were gone in days.

its the one im gonna go for i think... its ?2 shy of ?300 in RGB which is a lot. i know i have the possibility of getting it cheaper on ebay

but im unsure about all these engrish speaking ebay companies in HK that sell goods without the VAT, but then dont make it clear if i will then have to pay VAT or whatever when it arrives here.

one guy did say he ships items marked as gifts to avoid import tax, but he said its not all ways successful.

bought the sigma

ahhh this thing is soo cool! im gonna have some fun with this!

yeah i will, might not be today though, got a lot of other things that need to be done first. plus the only ones i got so far are silly ones of me pulling faces right up at the lens. its wierd, it can make your body n limbs look stretched or like theyre further away than they should be

if the weather picks up, might go take some shots of the lexus