Which Top Gear spin-off is better: Russia or Australia?

Which Top Gear spin-off is better: Russia or Australia?

• Top Gear Russia

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Top gear Australia

Votes: 121 59.9%

• Total voters
TGR... please try again later..

TGR... please try again later..

I think that TGR is by far the worst. Their "Secret test track" looks as if the best car to drive on it, is a Camel Trophy Land Rover:?. There's so many bumps on the road, that even a german tank would have problems driving a straight line. I can't possibly see Clarkson and co. beeing happy too see TG's good name beeing slaughtered. I'm not trying to offend others, and there's bound to be someone out there who likes it. But then again, it's "designed" for the russians to see, and not the rest of the world... Thank god for that..

Their "Secret test track" looks as if the best car to drive on it, is a Camel Trophy Land Rover:?. There's so many bumps on the road, that even a german tank would have problems driving a straight line.

That is to show you, wealthy citizens of OECD states, that there are places on Earth where speed limits are set not because of those silly environmentallists, but because of really poor road conditions. :(

P.S. And when somebody is talking about Russian secrets (military, KGB, etc.) just remember this SECRET test-track and don't take the talks too serious. ;)

Last edited:
being a russian, i hated the first episode of tgr

but the second one gave me hope

someone has already mentioned, that tgr looks like a reeeeeealy cheap version of TG, rather then the aussie one

that's why there's still hope that if tgr shows that it can do better the producers will get more money to spend on camerawork etc.

but the australian version is just hopeless

TGR's second episode was not bad. I like the chemistry of the presenters more than TGA

Well I voted for TGA and didn't like the TGRussia that much, too much reading to really enjoy it, but TGRussia should not be canned as the Ruski's need the show in there own langauge.

Imagine what they would think of TGUK subtitled into Russian, probably the same thing as those of us that don't like their show. Especially some of the early TGUK episodes.

For me, the presenters of TGR ruin it so far. I speak Russian and watched the three episodes without subtitles - and I just don't like the way they do it.

Petrovsky is the only one who got the TG's way of presenting somewhat right. Fomenko is shouting too much, acting like everyone basically has to accept him as an authority; while Clarkson more or less does the same thing, he is being funny at that, and Fomenko just isn't. Kuchera is something in between: he sometimes does decent stuff (like the Mustangs comparison in ep3), but his way of doing the cool wall and generally all of his studio appearance is just plainly rubbish.

True is also what I've read somewhere in here already - they shouldn't have chosen Petrovsky as the target for continuous jokes. Yes, that is what TG does with May, but in May's case it developed through the series, and with Petrovsky being the only presenter I can stand watching and the other two being unfunny shouty idiots most of the time and trying to make jokes about him, acting as though it was natural - sorry, it just doesn't work.

All in all - they need to work harder on developing the chemistry between the presenters, in my opinion even the Australians managed better at that. And, since TGA looked like some money was put into it and TGR looks like the film crew don't even know anything about in-car lighting and camera lens filters, I go for TGA.

I think TGR has fallen into the same trap that TGA fell into - they've tried to imitate the TGUK trio which doesn't go down all that well.

I actually had a lol moment when they compared the porche's gearbox to ones in Russian cars which took me by surprise.

The camera work, like TGA when it started, needs serious improving. The rapid camera changes around the test track did not give much of a hint as to its layout (what's the deal with the finishing line on the exit to a corner?!?). They should have taken the time to introduce the track properly. It was a shame that the filming on the track took place on a dreary overcast/rainy day...or is that normal there? The camera work in the studio was ok but nothing special.

Having said all that, the Russian ladies in episode 1... :jawdrop: I hope that's not the only thing keeping me watching future episodes of TGR. If it gets better I'll consider remembering the hosts names :p

ediesbra The only problem in your thery, that we dont really like our show that much either..

Fair enuf. :) You guys are the people that really matter, but I'm guessing that you can speak english so therefore can watch TGUK. I watch TGRussia and get sick of it quickly, mainly because I can't speak Russian, wouldn't you agree that you could get sick of TGUK if you couldn't speak a word of English and just spent the whole program reading subs?

Last edited:
Fair enuf. :) You guys are the people that really matter, but I'm guessing that you can speak english so therefore can watch TGUK. I watch TGRussia and get sick of it quickly, mainly because I can't speak Russian, wouldn't you agree that you could get sick of TGUK if you couldn't speak a word of English and just spent the whole program reading subs?

Probably.. but.. I dunno.. I was speaking (mostly underdtanding) english fairly well since I was nine y.o... It's quite hard for me to imagine.. but probably.. dunno.. TGUK even if I cant understand it would make better impression than TGR.. I mostly just cant stand Fomenko and Kuchera, cant see thier faces, hear thier voices without wanting to slam my face against the keyboard... :lol:

I'd be definitely missing Jeremy's facial expressions and an occasional hand gesture or two :D With the russian version though, it might just save you from the horror of witnessing the awfully fake smiles and such. It really lacks in all the subtlety that I enjoyed in TG. Without it, it's your average Fifth Gear episode, at best. If you see what I mean.

I mostly just cant stand Fomenko and Kuchera, cant see thier faces, hear thier voices without wanting to slam my face against the keyboard... :lol:

:lol: Good point.

well, since I speak both english and russian, I think I can compare it - for me TGA was little bit boring... but TGR...hmm... sad thing is that russian jokes are not funny at all... thx god for english sense of humour.. and I hate TGR presenters...all 3 - no charisma at all. what I like ( a lot ) about TGR is how they dont care about laws at all... thats crazy.. their driving is crazy, but I didint find them "good" drivers so far... too soon after 2 episodes...

looking for original TG bloody much :D

I have only seen episode 1 of TGR but I thought it was great! Quite funny and using lots of local Russian stuff to be humerous. TGA I find zero chemistry between the hosts, boring segments often, and forced humor. The Russians also are crazy! the Boxster was flying through downtown, the lawlessness is fantastic! I like the Russian fashion with the pretty girls in the background wearing ordinary sweaters and the hosts wearing 5 necklaces! Good stuff!!

Can't wait to see the next TGR, even though reading subtitles is a pain, I think its a CLEAR winner over TGA thusfar. I think most people who are disappointed in TGR and TGA are too hardcore TGUK, while often great (sometimes quite mediocre) you can't expect the exact same clarkson humor in the other ones.

I'm glad we get to even select from THREE different TG's! what great times we live in!

TG Russia seems like watching a campy sitcom. Yet it still wins over TG Australia for me. TG Aus, for all it's shine, is boring.

I'd say Australia.

The funny thing is that if we (Sweden) got Top Gear Sweden, we would still prefer the real Top Gear.

When I saw the first "spin-off" of TG (Australia, S01E01) I got a bit mad at them coz it was EXACTLY like Top Gear, just not a fun. It is the same thing, no individuality!

Last edited:
hi all

i?m Portuguese so i watch TGR with english subtitles imagine that and it still looks a lot "better" than TGA.

btw when is TG coming back?

It'll be back in 3 months.