which would you buy?: '02 m3 or '03 s2000

which would you buy?: '02 m3 or '03 s2000

• Total voters
I'm not really a convertible sports car guy, but I've got to go with the S2000 of the two choices you've picked.

Remember, the reason insurance is higher on the BMW is because of the cost of replacement parts. Otherwise, a 2 seat convertible sports car would have higher premiums than a 2 door sports coupe. And you'd still have to pay out of your own pocket for normal maintenance and repair.

Personally, I would go for one of these or one of these if you're feeling sporty.

There's also this Mustang - which looks nice. A little too nice for the price, actually, but it may be worth a call.

that's a good point about the insurance, and probably a valid one. the difference in insurance is about equal to difference in financing equals out, but obviously the maintence and cost of replacement parts do not (let's hope i'll never need to).

i've never been a jag fan, and as for the z, i like them. they're near the top of my (reasonable) list of cars to own though. and mustangs... well, "superchevy" should give you an indication on how i may feel about that.;)

now a corvette... definitely on that list, but more than what i want to spend on a car right now.

From what I understand the value of S2ks has gone up recently. When I looked at them back in '07, an '03 S2k with about 30k on the clock was going for ~$17k (asking price at a dealership). Now that Honda has killed it and the prices have risen, they just aren't as good value for the money IMO.

Honestly, used Honda prices are pretty insane across the whole lineup. Everything from 1 year old Civics barely cheaper than brand new ones to the old trash heaps that just refuse to depreciate below $1000.

Well then, which one stirs your loins the most?

:D

That'd be how I decide. Remember, the S2000 is the CBR2000RR, it must be driven like a motorbike, although leaning doesn't do too much :p

I chose the S2000 for the purpose of this exercise. However my honest answer would be neither.

IMO S2000s are more interesting and have more potential than that gen M3

Another vote for the Honda although I hear they have some "interesting" handling characteristics. And once you start to enjoy the convertible experience every drive with the top down puts a grin on your face.

If I had the means I would go for the M3 regardless of the maintenance nightmare that it is at that point of it's life, but that's just me :p

If you are going for the M3 I would strongly consider going for a car with half the millage of the one you are looking at.

The M3 is overall a nicer car. It's sporty aswell luxurious and there's more space for other people and luggage, too. The only minus I can think of are the maintenaince costs, but if you're not ready to throw some extra dough to keep the car running, you shouldn't be looking at M-cars, or anything else in it's class. If money is an object, then it's the S2k. Otherwise I'd go for the BMW, there's just more bang and business for the buck in it.

I'd get the M3 and a CSL airbox. Sounds epic.

I was all ready to vote for the m3, but after reading through the posts I changed my mind.

Neither. The M3 will cost you an arm and a leg to keep running and BMWs are not all that easy to work on. I was going to say S2000 because I do like them and I'm a fan of convertibles but the handling isn't quite what its made out to be. Its nowhere near as toy like and tossable as a Miata, and nowhere near as neutral. You have to at least get a front sway (surprisingly expensive) to get it to handle right at the limit (I can expand when not on a mobile device.) I honestly prefer my Miata over either gen S2000 (haven't driven the M3 though.) Honestly, at $15k you can't beat a C5 Corvette. Just as reliable as the Honda, much faster than either the S2000 or the M3, cheaper parts, better gas mileage, better aftermarket, even more practical thanks to the huge hatch. The C5 is testament that you don't have to pick just two from the "cheap, fast, reliable" list. The Z06 is even more spectacular and can be found for upper teens these days.

I'm warning you, within 2 years or 25,000 miles you will spend another $6-8,000 on maintaining that M3.

The C5 Z06 idea is a good one, but I would probably wait for the C7 to come out and then reach into the C6's for an even better car. There is absolutely no comparison between the C5 and C6.

The 50k mileage difference seems to really favor the S2000 in this scenario. A Corvette would be great but it's very different to drive so that would come down to preference. Personally I find it hard to get over the C5 interior, it reminds me too much of my '96 base model Chrysler Sebring.

A C6 Corvette would be no contest but I suspect they are still too expensive.

I would recommend a C5 Corvette as well, but only if you could stretch your budget to $20K. That seems to be the going amount for a clean, low mile, manual C5.

Like this one in Polo Green. Or this one if you want a convertible.

A C6 would be much better, but $25K seems to be the going rate for a good one, and that would probably be out of your reach at this time.

The M3 is overall the better car, especially if it's your only car.

However, the milage simply makes it a no go in comparison to an S2000 with half the miles. Unless you're not too worried about money.

I'm warning you, within 2 years or 25,000 miles you will spend another $6-8,000 on maintaining that M3.

He said that he'll drive not even 7,500 miles a year, that should lower the maintenance costs from your estimate quite a bit.

I voted for the M3, the maintenance costs will be high but should be manageable given the relatively low yearly milage. To me personally the M3 is just a much nicer car overall and also you don't have rev its nuts off to have a spirited drive.

money is definitely a concern. a c5 is juuust outside the realm of what i'm willing to spend with financing + insurance. and if i were to get a c5, i think i would only consider a z06. right now, i'm really leaning toward the s2000. it's out of production and it's hard to find one unmolested as it is. there will "always" be m3's, and i could probably find a e46 or e90/92/93 a few years from now for a good deal and also when it'll be more afforable for me.

money is definitely a concern. a c5 is juuust outside the realm of what i'm willing to spend with financing + insurance. and if i were to get a c5, i think i would only consider a z06. right now, i'm really leaning toward the s2000. it's out of production and it's hard to find one unmolested as it is. there will "always" be m3's, and i could probably find a e46 or e90/92/93 a few years from now for a good deal and also when it'll be more afforable for me.

Thing is though, the base C6 is equal, performance-wise, to the Z06 - you might as well wait a bit longer and buy one of those, as it might make a better daily driver.

Yeah, if the S2000 ticks all the right boxes for you, I say go for it. I would consider saving up money for a track day/driving school though before I ever tried driving more than 6/10's.