Which would you rather have? 2.5-16v or E36 M3

Which would you rather have? 2.5-16v or E36 M3

• The Cosworth

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • The Bavarian

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters
Is 'none of the above' an option? I can think of at least one car that would be fun at a track day that costs less than either of those.

What would your choice be APART from a Jag?

I have always had a "soft spot" for the 190 of what ever nomenclature - built when Mercedes made cars really rather well.

btw - holy moley that wing is the biz.

Last edited:
That's ridiculously expensive. Quick someone buy it and drive the nuts off of it! It's not even broken in!

Yeah, the price is insane, but the car is sooooooooo delicious.

The M3 is the first time I ever remember wanting a BMW (I was 8, and also liked the Subaru SVX, so maybe I had bad taste) and I really still like the look of it. It has to be in subdued colors though, or else you look like un penis plus grande.

What would your choice be APART from a Jag?

Aside from the fact that the X300R would mop the floor with any of the three cars in the test...

1990-93 Q45t, just off the top of my head.

800px-1st-Infiniti-Q45.jpg

Last edited:
The US-spec E36 was only half-cocked compared to the Euro special. So I'll gladly pass on that. I'll also pass on the electrics of the 190e. I think I'll have to agree with Spectre and get an XJR if I want a 4 door for the price.

orrr go for something completely different and get a Mercury Marauder or 2004ish Infiniti M45

03m45_5.jpg

marauder-05.jpg

Last edited:
Just to keep this in perspective, as of today's mid-market fixes, 5,000.00 GBP = 7,566.42 USD.

^^ Yeah so that makes that 100k GBP an even crazier price for those in the States. I doubt he's gonna get his asking price.

I'd take the Benz. That is one of the few modern era Mercedes that I like, the car has a nice stance, and even looks good with that little wing. I have an old 325i E36 beater that I picked up last year. Nice little car, and they're pretty cheap right now.

That gen 3series BMW has one of the worst reputations here and when they talk about the M3 being a car for cocks ... that started with the E36. Doesn?t matter how fantastic it is to drive, I wouldn?t want one for free if I actually had to drive around in it. I?m not a fan of that Merc either, but the E36s image is so ruined, I?d gladly take the Cosworth.
I don't understand this attitude. no matter what I drive, someone's going to think less of me for driving it. I'll choose the car that is what I want. I have better things to do with my life than do what other people think I should do.

I have an irrational dislike of Mercs because of how heavy the modern ones are, and though I have a bit of a, "Hi, could we get some BRAKES please?" attitude about the M cars, I've enjoyed the M3s I've driven. This causes me to lean toward the M3, but I can't really choose until I've driven the cars. I'm really picky about a car's feel and would need drive both before I decided.

Just to keep this in perspective, as of today's mid-market fixes, 5,000.00 GBP = 7,566.42 USD.

I've seen both of the two I posted for less than 7k USD

picking from those two I'm not sure, but I'd say the M3, it apparently performs much better but niether fit my style very well, If I wanted a German car the last thing I'd do is get a 15+ year old one, because I'd buy it for the overall german sturdiness and probably not entirely the performance factor.

+1 for the M45, they have the correct sedan shape as far as I'm concerned.

Dollar for dollar the E36 destroys just about anything at track days. Non-M E36s are a dime a dozen (and the M cars are cheap as well), so you can gut them and drive them to within an inch of their lives on-track without fear. There's an enormous E36 racing community and innumerable spares for every part you could conceivably want or need thanks to how well they sold stateside. I'll keep my individuality statement to two wheels and enjoy one of the best driver's cars ever made when I need four, thanks.

Seems like an idiotic question given that you're comparing a car that is nearly 10 years older than the other.

Given that the US Cosworth is even slower than the euro spec unit, I'd rather have the m3. Larger aftermarket, superior chassis, better engines, loads of spare parts abound thanks to all the rich kids who wreck them on a regular basis. Shame the e36 is a less than stellar put together car on the inside.

With that said, I'm with Spectre, I'm going with "none of the above." I disagree on the XJR part though.

I'll stick with my daily e30 and my track miata. I get all the utility I need in a 4 door sedan and the superior performance of a better/cheaper chassis produced by Mazda. Added bonus, if I blow up my track car, I can still get to work the next day.

Last edited:
190, no contest. And that EVO II is mega delicious. If I was a millionaire I would totally snatch that up and ship it here.