Whisky

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
Seeing as there is one beer thread (actually two), how about a whisky thread? (Hope there isn't one already, I've search this sub-forum and haven't found one).

What are your favorite ones? How do you drink it (straight, on the rocks, with just a few drops of water)?

One of my favorite cheap ones is the Glenfiddich 12 year old Highland scotch single malt. Straight.

The Glenlivet 12 is also a classic.

I tried the Macallan Cask Strength 10 year a few months ago, with water. Pretty good too.

Edit: thread title corrected.

Last edited:
Chivas Regal 12 Year Old. Granted, it's the only kind I've had, but I liked it quite a lot.

I have said it before but I will say it again:

Whiskey = Irish (Bushmills and Jamesons etc. )

Whisky = Scotch (Glenfiddich, Laphraoig. ...)

I'm gonna be honest I haven't had all that much Whiskey. My dad has been giving it to me since I was teething (literally.) Used to upset my stomach just thinking about it. I've had Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, but usually Jamesons. There is a bar by me that specializes in Irish Whiskeys and Scotch but I always spend my $4 on a beer instead, plus my friends think SoCo is whiskey so not really getting any help from them.

I always add a little water to a finger of whiskey, supposed to help the aromatics or something. What about ice, is that good form, seems like whiskey lends itself more to cellar temperature?

I have said it before but I will say it again:

Whiskey = Irish (Bushmills and Jamesons etc. )

Whisky = Scotch (Glenfiddich, Laphraoig. ...)

Didn't know that, I stand corrected, and have fix the thread title and first post.

My facourite whiskies are The Macallan Fine Oak, wonderfully smooth and subtle; The Yamazaki 10, Unbelievably smooth, flowery whiskey with tones of honey and vanilla; Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, a fine whisky matured in Port casks, gives it a very rich and deep taste.

I drink all my whiskies straight, sometimes with a few drops of water.

My facourite whiskies are The Macallan Fine Oak, wonderfully smooth and subtle; The Yamazaki 10, Unbelievably smooth, flowery whiskey with tones of honey and vanilla; Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, a fine whisky matured in Port casks, gives it a very rich and deep taste.

I drink all my whiskies straight, sometimes with a few drops of water.

I tried the Quinta Ruban, it's good, but I am not sure I prefer it to the regular Glenmorangie 12.

In Schotch I still prefer 12 year old Glenfiddish
I general tend to stay away from the older stuff as it's usualy to intence a taste for me to realy enyoy, peat whiskies I avoid compleetly.
I have been told by people who should know these things that my tastepallet in whisky isent fully developed as I have only been seriously tasting it for a couple off years and it should evolve to the heavier stuff.......that or, you know, liverfailiure :p

My personal preference runs to Islay whisky, Ardbeg in particular. The 'new' 10 year old (just hitting the market) from post-repoening of the distillery is a great baseline. The only Ardbeg I've been really disappointed in was their latest "Supernova" bottling -- heavily peated, yes, but a bit too young. I think if you go overboard on peating then you have got to let it age a lot longer.

My favorite whisky is a 28 year old Port Ellen (Port Ellen no longer distills, it is strictly a malting facility for the island distilleries).

Don't overlook Japanese whiskey either. I've got a 30 year old Yamazaki (blended malt) that's outstanding.

And if you find yourself in the Speyside area, Balvenie has a 4 hour VIP tour of their facility. You get to go through the malting floor, cooperage, and down into the stocks -- but in much more detail than a typical quick tour. We probably spent half an hour talking with the coopers and seeing how they rebuild casks by hand. Then you do an extensive tasting that starts with new make spirit and works its way up to their 30 year old. You can really taste the progress and how the spirit matures over time.

My biggest issue is that I am more of a taster than a real drinker... so I end up buying far faster than I drink.

Right now I'd really like to get a bottle of the Johnnie Walker "Double Black" but right now it's only being sold through a few duty-free shops and I'm not traveling that much these days. :(

Steve

Balvenie Doublewood and Balvenie Thirty. Honestly it depends on my mood, I love them both. Only straight, I actually find it offensive if it's offered to me any other way :lol:

All my friends love drinking CC or Crown Royal. Personally, I can't stand whiskey. Tequila is the only liquor I can drink straight.

I never liked whisky until I was (as an adult) introduced to 'good' whisky (as compared to Johnnie Red or whatever was on sale for under 10 bucks). Obviously, as a matter of taste, a lot of people will never like it, but if you have the chance to try some really good stuff, you should... even mid range whisky is far cry from the very harsh low end stuff.

Steve

Bushmills black. And my favorite without breaking the bank is Woodford Reserve.

All my friends love drinking CC or Crown Royal. Personally, I can't stand whiskey. Tequila is the only liquor I can drink straight.

I love Tequila too, however, CC and Crown Royal are poison, they aren't Whisky. You need to try some of the good stuff :)

Only whisky I've ever tried. Wasn't a big fan, my taste palette isn't developed enough for the whisk.

fireball_fridays.jpg

Only whisky I've ever tried. Wasn't a big fan, my taste palette isn't developed enough for the whisk.

fireball_fridays.jpg

I'ts not your tastebuds, its your age.....for some reason (over here atleast) Whisky almost never appeals to people under 25 :dunno:

Johnnie Walker is the only Scotch worth mentioning. Though, I'm usually cheap and buy the red label, but I like black better.