Whisky

I'ts not your tastebuds, its your age.....for some reason (over here atleast) Whisky almost never appeals to people under 25 :dunno:

I think that applies to a lot of alcohols in general. Most young people think this is beer:

A_bottle_of_Budweiser.JPG

I think that applies to a lot of alcohols in general. Most young people think this is beer:

Agreed, however I notice a revival in the drinking off proper speciality beers among young people since the breezah fab died down, not convinced if its for the taste though....most off em just want to get buzzed faster.
And offcourse the larger beer companies reacted to this by bringing out commercial swirl that's just heavier in alcohol and down in flavour....<_<
Yess inbev I am looking at you , you money grabbing tradition stealing bastards.

My favourite cheap whiskey is Passport, good taste for that money. Than comes Ballantine's, Chivas Regal and Glenfiddich. From Ireland I like Jameson and Tullamore Dew (very smooth). When it comes to bourbon Jack is my choice. And I don't like Johnnie Walker. I mean form Black Label up it isn't bad, but you can buy much better whisky for the same money.

I'ts not your tastebuds, its your age.....for some reason (over here atleast) Whisky almost never appeals to people under 25 :dunno:

I have many friends who like whisky so maybe it's different here. But I have to say, I also know some people who just hate it.

And offcourse the larger beer companies reacted to this by bringing out commercial swirl that's just heavier in alcohol and down in flavour....<_<

That's a better approach. If it tastes like piss you might as well get drunk quickly. Over here there are state laws that limit the amount of alcohol in beer. Hence Budweiser is capped at 5%. The worst of both worlds.

Eh! I resent that. There's plenty of younger folks round my university swillin back whiskey on a regular basis. Personally I'm just new to the hard liquor scene. I find it difficult to believe that most people's very first experience with whiskey was "Mmm Delicious!".

(over here at least) A person's alcoholic taste generally starts off with a lager beers, works up to ales, then stouts. Scotch and Whiskey start cheap, then get finer. It's about experience, not age.

Eh! I resent that. There's plenty of younger folks round my university swillin back whiskey on a regular basis. Personally I'm just new to the hard liquor scene. I find it difficult to believe that most people's very first experience with whiskey was "Mmm Delicious!".

(over here at least) A person's alcoholic taste generally starts off with a lager beers, works up to ales, then stouts. Scotch and Whiskey start cheap, then get finer. It's about experience, not age.

And what usualy comes with age? ;)

I don't really like Johnnie Walker either and I think even the black label tastes like dirt. I've tried green label but man, I was so drunk already by that point in the evening that I don't really remember what it tasted like.

I really love Wild Turkey, say what you will. I think it's probably my favourite whiskey overall. I'm not a huge fan of scotch. I don't dislike it, it's just not really my preference. I do like it as long as it's not a blend, of course. Single malt. Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps. Maybe Glengow-any 'Glen'.

Japanese whiskey can be hard to find here but I have tried a 12 year old Yamazaki and it was very nice but it didn't have a lot of charcter. It's hard to describe. It sort of reminded me of the Japanese cigarettes I used to smoke; They just tasted of good quality tobacco and they were smooth and had a nice draw... but they didn't really have the same kind of flavour of, say, Benson & Hedges. The whiskey was sort of the same way. Absolutely nothing wrong with it... but hard to describe beyond that. That's not a criticism though, don't get me wrong.

I like Irish whiskey a great deal but it's pretty expensive here, especially if you want something that's, you know... good. Like Bushmills for instance.

When it comes to bourbon Jack is my choice.
Jack Daniels is not a bourbon whiskey.

Last edited:

I can't stand the taste of any beer.

I really love Wild Turkey, say what you will. I think it's probably my favourite whiskey overall.

I can't stand Wild Turkey. The only whisk(e)y's i've tried are Jamesons and Jonnie walker (black and red). I enjoy both, but i rarely drink them straight.

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon whiskey.

Yeah, what I meant was American whiskey made partly of corn (bourbon, Tennessee whiskey and other). It's popular here to call them all "bourbon". I know it's not correct and will try to stop saying that myself. ;)

On this front...I had a chance to pick up a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan about 5 months ago, passed on it in a fit of budgetary sanity.... but now I regret it :(

Steve

:blink: You know what...I never did like Whiskey until I was in my 30's. Very interesting! :think:

Carbonated slightly alcoholic urine, I believe that is. I always dump on American beer, especially Pilsners, but I just love MGD. Granted it's a lager, but still. That sweetness is perfect with a lot of foods.

As for me and whiskeys, it's Canadian Club all the way. I have tried many others, from gut rot to finest single malt, and they all seem to twist my stomach into knots. I like it best with one shot CC, two icecubes, and Seven Up in those little seven ounce cans.

I'm not a great fan of Scotch whisky, or bourbon. Though I did take a tour once of the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee (great tour, and free, but you couldn't drink 'cause the distillery is in a dry county.... go figure, lol). Whiskey is another matter and there Tullamore Dew wins it for me, hands down. So smooth... almost buttery. Neat at room temperature or slightly warmed, Irish Coffee (my adult beverage of choice), on the rocks, with OJ. I've tried many of the other Irish Whiskeys... John Powers (yecch), Bushmills (regular and Black Bush) which I find to have a sharper edge than most of the others, and Jameson, which isn't too bad and my second choice if I can't get the Tully.

Bit of trivia about the Buena Vista cafe in San Francisco, which touts itself as the birthplace of Irish Coffee in America after some SF-based writers (Stanton Delaplane, et. al.) discovered it while at a transoceanic stopover in Shannon, Ireland. The "house brand" of Irish Whiskey is actually Tullamore Dew custom bottled for them.

@cobol74: Perhaps you know the answer to this. I've heard that between Jameson and Tullamore Dew, one is a Catholic distillery, while the other is Protestant, but I don't know the truth of that, or if it is true, which is which.

http://img15.imageshack.**/img15/7175/img0430u.th.jpg

These are the 3 whiskys i have at the moment: a 10 year old Glengoyne, a 12 year old Balvenie and an Ileach ("the man from Islay"). (They are all single malt whiskys)
the last one is my personal favorite

Im not,in all honesty,that much of a whisky drinker. I started out of curiosity a couple of years back but currently i rarely drink the stuff. one of the reasons is,right now,that its summer..for me whisky is a cold weather drink (or..bad weather drink..something like that).