Who cares about 3D Movies... Its all about 3D Gaming!

djdorifto

Car(s)
Honda S2000
There's a cool article over at gizmodo about 3D gaming. The author tried out the new game Metro 2033 in 3D and he was amazed on how much full of win it was.

http://gizmodo.com/5493828/screw-avatar-3d-gaming-is-what-will-get-you-to-buy-a-new-tv

So whats your take on it?

I'm mixed on this, sure it would be awesome to experience HL, CoD, Battlefield, MoH, Doom, etc.... in 3D and with the level of attention level designers are putting in games now a days, it be insane to see what they can push it with 3D.

But I have enough trouble (money wise and research) on just the computer hardware itself right now. Now I got to worry about 3D hardware (monitors, 3D cards, Glasses)...

I don't care about 3D until a TV I can afford comes without needing glasses.

I wear one pair just to see the damned TV, I don't want another pair.

I've played Attack of the 50ft Robot and Trackmania in anaglyphic 3D, options that are included with the games. I thought it was more effective in the former than the latter, but both were made more immersive. I also played Half-Life 2 on a mate's computer with a 3D system and that was pretty awesome, although as it was an add-on there were some glitches.

I think 3D gaming's a really good thing, it not only makes games more immersive and solid but helps with judging distances intuitively, which would come in very handy on some games. Take FIFA, in which the ball doesn't change size much from one side of the pitch to the other, making it difficult to judge when the ball's in the air quite where it is at times (not unlike real football, which I think will also benefit from being shot in 3D - I missed the Man Utd-Arsenal game they recently showed).

we already have amazing 3d gaming.

virtualboy.jpg

Have they ever thought about all those people who already wear spectacles for their entire life????? Who's gonna wear another one on top of those

Im all for equality, but i will not have the handicapped holding me back from the future, my eyes work just fine :lol:

Have they ever thought about all those people who already wear spectacles for their entire life????? Who's gonna wear another one on top of those
In my experience, people who normally wear glasses are less likely to object to 3D specs. People who don't wear glasses usually find them more irritating because they're not used to them.

In my experience, people who normally wear glasses are less likely to object to 3D specs. People who don't wear glasses usually find them more irritating because they're not used to them.
Nope. I wear glasses, I don't want to wear more glasses. Plus extra glasses never fit properly.

Fantastic, I'd gladly pay a shitton for hardware that will induce headaches.

I've tried the Nvidia 3d Stereo thing (new one) with sort of big heavy glasses and all the rest of it, - it's rather good and completely different from Avatar or 3d movies, although it includes the same type of big 3d glasses.

My biggest problem with it - it's very uncomfortable to wear on top of my regular glasses. Constant fiddling, red marks on the nose after an hour. Another issue is that you really need a 120hz screen for it, and there aren't many good models, especially 24' Full HD ones, IIRC first one of those - Acer 245 hit the shelves a month ago @ $450. Add to that a high-end Gfx card to produce those 120fps and that's not a pretty financial picture.

The benefits are:

1. A real 3D effect, comparing to 2.5D you get in movies.
2. It doesn't tire your eyes, because of 'fake' blinking eyes in turns every Xms.
3. It already works on a large number of games, even not specially designed for 3d like Batman or Metro. I tried it on NFS Shift and it was very good.
4. Potentially it could work wonders with next generation of consoles (720, PS4) with motion controllers and Natal.

Personally I am completely turned away by glasses, but, unlike 3DTV, you are better of with a 3D screen without glasses, as you always sit in a fixed position.

Last edited:
where did you try out the nvidia 3D? I haven't looked into pricing one out but how much is just the nvidia 3D thing?

I'm about that 3 year mark where it's time to upgrade my computer and I was thinking of upgrading with 3D in mind.