Who here always has the compulsion to modify his/her car?

Oh I have the compulsion alright. I have gotten better rotors (cross drilled) and pads already. This week is likely to be APR upgrade Stage 1 (170/166 to 215/245 is no joke yo).
To Do (very slowly):
Tinted Windows
17/18 inch wider wheels (BLACK damnit!!)
Sports shocks and springs
Probably a thicker swaybar for the rear.
Exhaust and a split intercooler (EU spec)

Other than that I would like better seats and a manual but either a swap or trading it in is too much $$ :(

I'm thinking of finding an A4 wagon 1.8t just to get the ecu upgrades that give such nice boosts in power.

BTW, you do know that cross drilled rotors are a complete waste of money and merely crack and warp easier right?

Ehh, not really. Not that I would mod my current car anyways... but I'm looking to get a new car next year and I can't see myself doing much to it aside from wider tires. It's not like I'm ever going to auto-x or track it or anything, so I don't see the point in throwing wads of cash into a car.

:dunno: meh

Yes. This is why I have this in my Garage right now....

fullystrippedmirage001.jpg

fullystrippedmirage009.jpg

I'm thinking of finding an A4 wagon 1.8t just to get the ecu upgrades that give such nice boosts in power.

BTW, you do know that cross drilled rotors are a complete waste of money and merely crack and warp easier right?

I heard that but I have no problem with them so far. Although I would say that I would rather have gone for either normal vented or slotted because the Hawks HPS brakes work better when they get to a certain temperature and with cross drilled it cools down too fast.

I've always modified our cars every since I got my license. Only with my own car have I gone a step further with some of the mods. Here's a list (probably forgot a thing or two) of what I've done with my xB:

Audio Mods
-Pioneer AVIC-D3x

Body Mods
-Custom powercoated grill (flat black)
-Front window tint @ 20%
-Custom red/smoke tails

Power Mods
-AEM cold air intake
-TRD exhaust

Suspension Mods
-Tein S.Tech springs
-OTG stacked rear spacer shims

Wheel and Tire
-Rota Torque 15x6.5
-Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/55

Other Mods
-TRD Japan shift knob
-Custom black leather shift boot
-Stebel air horn
-Broadway 240mm convex mirror
-4300K HIDs

Future Mods
-DC Sports 4-1 header
-CorSport aluminum shifter base bushings
-CorSport metal shifter cable bushings
-TRD Quickshifter
-Rear sway bar
-Front strut bar
-Shallow sub/amp combo (will go under the front seats)
-Greddy turbo kit :cool:

I'm one of those who never really modify their cars. Only thing I added to my car, was leather seats since the factory didn't specify them.

At one point, I considered modifying the suspension slightly, with some lowering springs. I talked myself out of that pretty quickly. On a standard road car, I just can't see why you'd want to make the car less comfortable. Unless you're entering some competition which requires it.

Call me captain sensible, I suppose.

I'm one of those who never really modify their cars. Only thing I added to my car, was leather seats since the factory didn't specify them.

At one point, I considered modifying the suspension slightly, with some lowering springs. I talked myself out of that pretty quickly. On a standard road car, I just can't see why you'd want to make the car less comfortable. Unless you're entering some competition which requires it.

Call me captain sensible, I suppose

Nothing wrong with that attitude at all. I'm just surprised that given all the forum ppl who lust after the latest hardcore/no-traction-control/stripped out/lightweight sports/supercars and say that lack of comfort is worth all the performance. (and these are street cars to boot)

Yet when a lot of the same ppl say they don't mess with their daily drivers, its because it'll make them less comfortable (which is true).

It confuses me when ppl on the forums complain about a lot of current sports/performance cars being too heavy, and built more for comfort. It seems like that's what most of us want after reading people's various replies.

Is it just 'yes i love those kind of hardcore cars....from a distance' kind of thing?

I'm resisting the urge to whack a supercharger on mine, but I have done some mods.

Brabus exhaust, aftermarket intake, Brabus rims, ECU remap, New eibach suspension kit coming in soon, and some bigger brembo brakes will be mine soon.

Modifying is fun. Adds an individual touch to your car.

The past two cars I've owned have been modified, mostly on the suspension, wheels, and interior.

Previous Owner Mods:
Sparco Steering Wheel and shift knob
Tanabe Sustec Coilovers
Drilled and Slotted Rotors
HID's

This is the current mod list that I've done to my current car.

Suspension:
ITR Springs
Koni Yellow Shocks

Wheels:
Rota Circuit 8's
Falken Ziex Tires

Interior:
Corbeau A4 Seats
Corbeau 4 pt Harness

Upcoming Mods:
Brake Replacement - Brembo blanks with high performance pads
ITR Front Lip

Hopeful future mods:
ITR Rear swaybar w/ ASR subframe brace
Turbo the stock B18C or swap a 2.0L engine (B20 or K20)
ITR Rear spoiler
New 15" wheels and tires

Well the Grand Prix exists entirely for this reason.... I just need to get a better job, save some money and sort out a few other things before that's ready for work.

The buick is the opposite. Its the soft daily car that gets no modification what soever in fear of becoming unreliable. but I can think of thousands of times I thought about ripping out the interior and going crazy with it. I really don't care about comfort in a car other than the seats. when the car is moving I don't expect to be comfortable. Ironically the Buick currently is probably the softest car on Finalgear but I could care less. :lol:

so the only thing stopping me is money.

Nothing wrong with that attitude at all. I'm just surprised that given all the forum ppl who lust after the latest hardcore/no-traction-control/stripped out/lightweight sports/supercars and say that lack of comfort is worth all the performance. (and these are street cars to boot)

Yet when a lot of the same ppl say they don't mess with their daily drivers, its because it'll make them less comfortable (which is true).

It confuses me when ppl on the forums complain about a lot of current sports/performance cars being too heavy, and built more for comfort. It seems like that's what most of us want after reading people's various replies.

Is it just 'yes i love those kind of hardcore cars....from a distance' kind of thing?

I think its a case of price vs reward. I can spend 5-6K on my car just to make it equal in performance to an S4. By the same token I can get a B6 S4 right now for about the same money I bought the A4 a year ago. It's the same with just about anything, you can pour all the money into your car just to make it close to a car that will actually be cheaper if you were to buy it.

There is also the fact that most of us have cars for practical purposes. I drive my g/f places and go grocery shopping in my car. I don't go to mountain passes or tracks so stripping out the daily driver would be useless. I suspect it's the same with the rest of the "non" moders on this board.

I've had my rx7 about 2 weeks now. On the way in the mail already is a centerforce clutch and a K&N air filter. About to order some tokico shocks, new oem-spec springs, new oem wheel bearings, polyurethane bushings, hps compound brake pads, stainless steel lines, and a racing beat front anti-roll bar. After that I will be doing full exhaust (racing beat header and pre-silencer, custom cat-back) and an MSD 6AL ignition system with Magnecore wires. That will do it until I have enough money to really really do it up, a couple years down the road. (bridge ported naturally aspirated 20b with full suspension, big brakes, and a 6 speed trans)

My Mark VIII has stayed stock because I can't justify modding a 173k mile daily driver, but I've done a little modding to my Cougar. Unfortunantly, many of the parts are uninstalled.

Roush ground effects
Roush spoiler
Roush 2nd gen wheels (17x7) with Ecsta MX (225/45/17)
Kosei K1 Racing (17x7.5) with Ecsta MX (225/45/17)
stock wheels with Ecsta V710s (225/50/16)
Roush rear sway bar (uninstalled)
Custom 24mm hollow rear sway bar
D2 coilovers (9 kg/mm front/7 kg/mm rear)
Roush springs (removed)
OMP front strut tower brace (removed)
Carbotech pads (XP10, IIRC)
SVT upper intake manifold
SVT upper intake manifold max Extrude Hone'd (uninstalled)
SVT throttle body
filter on a stick intake
SHM headers (uninstalled)
Brullen y-pipe
2.5" SS cat back with Magnaflow muffler

I've also got several bits for a planned, but on hold, swap of a 3L Duratec to replace the current 2.5L.

I like to modify cars. Here is a list of what I've done to my Jeep.

Engine
-Swapped stock 4.2 for a 1998 4.0
-K&N air filter

Transmission
-Swapped stock T5 for a 2003 NV3550 5spd

Suspention
-1" lift springs
-HD shackles
-Rancho Shocks
-Swaybar Delete

Front Axle
-Dana 44 internal locking hubs\
-Detroit EZ Locker
-4.56:1 gears

Rear Axle
-1-piece alloy axle shafts
-Full carrier Detroit Locker
-4.56:1 gears
-Custom full width strengthening truss

Interior
-Custom 6-point rollcage tied into the frame
-Tuffy Security console
-Alpine stereo with kicker and kenwood speakers with a 200w Infinity Sub

Exterior
-Custom rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier
-1997-2006 Jeep Wranger Fender Flares

Misc
-HD driveshafts
-33x10.5 BFG Mud Terrains
-Hella 500 driving lights

All I've done to my truck is install an Alpine head unit, but I'm considering an ECU remap to see if I can get some more power.

Every car I've owned (yah, all three of them :p) I have modified to some extent. My EL Camino had extensive suspension/engine mods, and my civic got a new sterio and some rims and tires. My next car will probably get some mods too.

[snip]

We can dream. I would also like to live somewhere less flat where the roads have more than one curve every 100km. ;)

Supercars / sportscars are great, but unless you have somewhere to go fast in one (twisty roads, auto-x, race tracks) then the car won't be happy. Supercars that only get to do stop'n'go traffic are sad. Nobody likes a sad supercar. And I guess that's why some of us aren't really into heavy modding, our cars take us to places, and in town you'll get there at more or less the same time no matter how you drive, so why not be comfortable along the way? If you have two cars it's a different story, but you're clearly a car nut (or rich) in the first place if you have more than one car.

I fabricated really basic stuff for my MR2, and i suppose you could say having to rebuild my tempos exhaust and doing it in a none-stock configuration was a modification, but otherwise not really. I love modifications if their done well, my problem is that means I won't buy coil-overs until i understand and can fix the suspension geometry of the car (fairly large undertaking.) So yes, i am always thinking of things that could be done to "modify" the car, but its not exactly off-the shelf type stuff most people go for, and at the same rate i rarely ever do anything because my expectations are a bit too high for my current skill level.

Supercars that only get to do stop'n'go traffic are sad. Nobody likes a sad supercar.

:lol:, poor little supercars

Answer the question: yes. I'm a Skyline owner, it's what we do ;)

Just wondering, what suspension kit would be good for my E55? I'm looking at an eibach kit and about to bite the bullet on them, but was wondering if there are other just as good options.