who here drives a beater, but has a nice ride for the weekend?

post pictures of our beater?!?

svo_mwsns2.jpg

You can't tell it's a beater from the photo. There isn't much that doesn't need attention, but it runs. Today it ran a 15.81 @ 87, then it ran like crap.

I also picked up this beater yesterday:
yota_1.jpg

svo_mwsns2.jpg

You can't tell it's a beater from the photo. There isn't much that doesn't need attention, but it runs. Today it ran a 15.81 @ 87, then it ran like crap.

I also picked up this beater yesterday:
yota_1.jpg

now thats a beater.... enjoy!

x2! We have a carbage thread. I think its time for a crappy car thread. :p

make one then....

a post your beater thread!

I've got a temporary beater! :p

1985 910 Bluebird with a meaty CA20S. Well, about as meaty as a veal.

*cue fancy night photos*

http://img409.imageshack.**/img409/8053/img3998ix3.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.**/img409/682/img4006ri5.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.**/img409/6430/img4007rq9.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.**/img409/1023/img4013ro5.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.**/img409/6889/img4026zy4.jpg

It may become a project car. I haven't gone completely mad.. it's RWD, there's a stong modding scene.. a 910 (japanese imported one with irs) placed first in the b class races on bathurst, back in the day.

Last edited:
'95 Lincoln Mark VIII. It wasn't initially purchased as a beater, but as the miles pile up it is becoming one (154xxx and counting). The pic is from almost 60,000 miles ago and it's been in two minor collisions since then. It still runs strong, but it isn't the cheapest to maintain. I figure I'll keep driving it until something expensive breaks.

Mark_1.jpg

Don't those Lincoln Mark VIIIs have something cool to do with their suspension? I remember reading that somewhere.

I bet the ride is so soft though, eh?

even darkness, cant cure its uglyness :D though u cant kill those cars, they keep going

The water/cooling thermometer (You know the part that opens at a certain temperate and lets in cool water? Can't think of the name) broke and we almost thought he/she was dead! :lol:

I need to buy a paper bag to go over my head so I can go driving soon 8)

Don't those Lincoln Mark VIIIs have something cool to do with their suspension? I remember reading that somewhere.

I bet the ride is so soft though, eh?

Yup, speed sensitive air suspension which lowers the car at speeds over 55mph. It falls into the expensive to fix category. It is Mark VIII specific and you are stuck going to Ford and paying dealer prices for most of the parts. The ride is the main reason I bought it. I rack up a lot of highway miles and it makes them much more comfortable.

It was also the first car in the US with HIDs (1996) and the first application of Ford's DOHC 4.6L V8.

I think I can answer your question perfectly:

Thegirls.jpg

The Peugeot I've had for 3 years. My first car. Paid ?125 for it, done 35k miles, only needed service items, (oil, filters, plugs and tyres) a starter and a fuel pump (I may have killed the fuel pump though...). Fantastically reliable, very very cheap in everything (insurance, tax, petrol). A great laugh and fantastic to throw around. Been great this last winter as I've moved somewhere with crappy (slippery) roads so I was thankful for the front wheel drive. Plus if I crash it it's not a huge loss. Or if it rusts away from underneath thanks to our salty roads. I love it, but I think that she's going to fail her MOT later this month and there's a chance I won't bother repairing her.

The other one is my pride and joy. Had the MR2 for just under a year now. Love it to bits. I'm a post-grad student now, so can't thrash it if only down to petrol costs, but I love it too much to treat it too hard anyway... Done a mild restoration to it, (not quite finished yet) and managed to keep it in my parents garage during the Winter months just gone, but don't have that facility anymore. :(
The MR2 is a 1989 Mk1, and has 99874 miles on it - as of this evening... :)
It's definitely my weekend/Summer car - I tend to go to meets in it. Love the roof off capability. Just a fantastic car IMO. Definitely my weekend car, but recently it's been my daily driver too as the Pug has been unwell (fuel pump) - or jealous... :p
(Not that I mind too much - what a daily driver! I can have the crappiest day in the office but still have a HUGE smile after my 15 mile drive home on the A and B roads I have to take!!!!)

So, just to explain why I have two cars... down to the way the insurance is on these two (MR2 on classic car, limited mileage policy - with a lot less miles than I do a year; all the no-claims bonus on the Pug) the insurance & tax combined for two cars is cheaper than if I was running just the MR2. Weird, but true. This year that'll change though, and it'll probably just be MR2 all the way.

This photo was taken not after the MR2 had just been washed. Oh no, between the washing and this photo was a 200 mile round trip and a bit of time on a race circuit to attempt to set a world record... (most number of one model of car in a rolling convoy - we managed 293 MR2s).

Oh, and the oil spots on the floor are not mine.

So... that's my story... :)