Who here gets attached/emotional about their cars?

Just today a friend of mine bought a '88 BMW E30 320i. The seller was an old guy who had bought it new and driven all these years with it. He had taken a good care (even public would be amazed by the amount of documents), but of course after so many years and 240k km it had a bit of rust and some other little things, but all the major things worked well. He had bought a 1-series to replace it, maybe he got a bit too old to drive without power assistance, I don't know. Anyway, he didn't have a place for the E30, and he wanted to sell it instead of crushing it, which was the right thing to do. Of course I was happy when a friend of mine had bought a good car for a bargain, but it kinda hurt me when I started to wonder what the man was thinking when we two unknown men drove away with the car he had been using for almost quater of a century. I certainly couldn't have been able to sell it.

I've never sold a car, so I don't know what it's like to part with one. That, in and of itself, is an answer though.

Barring something catastrophic, I'm not getting rid of the Cougar. It was the first new car I ever bought and I have met way too many people because of it and have way to many memories with it to part ways with it.

The Lincoln I could probably part with and not be too impacted. I've been thinking of replacing it for a few years now, but since it is 16 years old with 208,000 miles and a laundry list of problems, it isn't worth selling. Yet, despite the problems, it's too solid to send to a scrapyard (no rust or drivetrain troubles) so I'm hanging onto it. That said, if something major fails, it's gone.

I've been a mess whenever I've had to part with cars. I've never had a lemon or something that has made my life miserable. Not saying they haven't had problems, but I learned lots from fixing them. But most of them have done lots of country miles, been to obscure little towns in the middle of nowhere, suffered through the burning dashboards of summer and the frozen radiators of winter, lots of memories and a ton of personality, each one with it's own idiosyncrasies. All but the mazda. My current (and first bought as new) car. Don't get me wrong, love it as a car, have lots of fun with it, but I haven't bonded. Dunno if I am going to feel the same when it's time to sell it.

Just today a friend of mine bought a '88 BMW E30 320i. The seller was an old guy who had bought it new and driven all these years with it. He had taken a good care (even public would be amazed by the amount of documents), but of course after so many years and 240k km it had a bit of rust and some other little things, but all the major things worked well. He had bought a 1-series to replace it, maybe he got a bit too old to drive without power assistance, I don't know. Anyway, he didn't have a place for the E30, and he wanted to sell it instead of crushing it, which was the right thing to do. Of course I was happy when a friend of mine had bought a good car for a bargain, but it kinda hurt me when I started to wonder what the man was thinking when we two unknown men drove away with the car he had been using for almost quater of a century. I certainly couldn't have been able to sell it.

Just wait when you discover all the rust the car has, and then you'll see how he could part with it. :lol:

"You must find some rust before giving rep to public again."

But yeah you're right, old cars can easily get really expensive. But still, you'd pay easily couple of thousands to cure a sick dog or cat that's been part of the family for 10 years?

Most worked up I got was when I traded my 1994 Mustang Cobra for a newer, 1998 model. I had put about 80k on it in 3 years - had a Crane cam installed in it at one point which dorked up the computer, and I could never quite get it to idle at a stoplight again with the A/C on. Synchros were starting to whine, about to need new brakes, etc, and I found an immaculate '98 model (two years old at this point) with less than 10k miles on it in perfect shape.

I bawled after getting home with the new car. Which was a great car, just not MY car.

Funny thing - at the last minute, I told the dealership I wanted the pony emblem from the front of the car. They told me they couldn't, and I told them I was going to walk.

I still have that pony. :)

Only pic I have of it online is here, in the background of me riding away on my new sportbike back in 1999.

196532822_5fd5693d7f_b_d.jpg

Back in the spring of 2009, I traded in my old 323 for the 323F. I had maintained the 323 HB fairly well, made sure it didn't develop terminal rust, jamesmayed it every now and then, you get the idea. It was a student's car, and treated likewise, but never unfairly. After I had traded it in, it sat at the forecourt for some months, and then some chav ruined it in a matter of months after buying it. Dented the bodywork, burned out the tires, ripped up the interior, did whatever. The indignity only ended when the gearbox went (sui-car-cide?), and the car ended up half-abandoned behind a garage, being cannibalized for parts. When I bumped into it, it was in such a sorry state it took a while for me to recognize it - I had to look for old dents in the bumper that I remembered. Didn't feel too good about that.

I still have part of the grill from my first car. It popped out when it hit the rear end of another car, so I picked it up and kept it. :(

It'll go back up on the wall when I move somewhere.

Of all the cars I've owned I've never been emotional when selling them, as I get bored quickly and want something different, but I do tend to regret it a year or two down the road (I'd love to have my 77 Town Car back right now).

The most attached I've been to a vehicle is actually the 91 Dakota that I'm trying to sell right now. My parents bought it new in 1990, and its passed back and forth a few times between my Dad and I since I started driving at 16. It took a long time to decide to try and sell it, but I still dont want to. I just have to keep reminding myself that I dont need a truck in the city, especially a V8 gas guzzler thats getting to the age where little things can start going wrong and pile up.

I still have part of the grill from my first car. It popped out when it hit the rear end of another car, so I picked it up and kept it. :(

It'll go back up on the wall when I move somewhere.

I did something similar.

:shakefist:

I've just spent most of the evening looking for 70s cars for sale. Damn thee otis.

And I've still got the plates and badges from my XA... :(

I've still got sitting on my window sill a red plastic piece of what used to be my old E Coupe's destroyed front bumper. The car's gone from my garage but not from my heart, because I've got that piece of plastic.

Also, when I walk away from my mom's 190E, I go "I love this car" despite all that's wrong with it.

I put my 205 (that i've had for eight years) on the market when i got my mr2 because i didn't have the space for two cars. After driving it for a week while the mr2 was getting new parts installed i couldn't bring myself to sell it. It's now sitting in someone else's parking space in my apartment complex. I have no idea where i'm going to move it when someone finally complains, but i'm sure as hell not selling it!

After so many wonderful years i owe that car one full restoration. If i do ever sell it, it needs to be its best! :>

I've been a mess whenever I've had to part with cars. I've never had a lemon or something that has made my life miserable. Not saying they haven't had problems, but I learned lots from fixing them. But most of them have done lots of country miles, been to obscure little towns in the middle of nowhere, suffered through the burning dashboards of summer and the frozen radiators of winter, lots of memories and a ton of personality, each one with it's own idiosyncrasies. All but the mazda. My current (and first bought as new) car. Don't get me wrong, love it as a car, have lots of fun with it, but I haven't bonded. Dunno if I am going to feel the same when it's time to sell it.

Maybe because it's modern...there's a certain "something" that a lot of newer mainstream cars just doesn't have anymore. Can't quite put my finger on it.

As for me, I'm a bit attached I guess. It's more of a love hate relationship though. I like the size and the interesting things about my car, but I hate things breaking or falling off every few months. Currently it's parked with a dead battery in the resident lot outside my dorm/apartment building. I'm hoping a jump will get things going again so I don't have to put a new battery in. :/

Yes I'm emotionally attached to my truck, why else did I buy a v8 in the midst rising fuel prices? His name is El Kabong, from the cartoons. :D

I've loved this thing and learned alot with it as it's still my first car. It's had it's usual 160,000 mile problems. It's also my escape for not having to be at home all the time and despite the gas mileage being 11-14mpg at best, I still drive it as much as possible. I've put 25,000 on it in the 5.5 months I've owned it. My old job was 4 miles from home and the new one I just started last month is 20 miles away. Yeah you can see how much I've tried to stay out... Anyways, how many f150's have big comfy 70s oldsmobile style seats, custom rattle can two tone blue air brush style paint, blue neon underglow, a banging stereo for me tunes, and has a production name called "flareside"?

I actually felt bad for buying it from the previous owner because it was his son's first car as well, and he kept it 2 years after he moved out. You could see it in his face he was sad to see it go.

Last edited:
My first car, my Mustang, I am hugely attached to. I get angry at myself every time I go in the garage and look at it for not making any signifigant progress restoring it, and I will likely not be complete untill it is running again.

My current daily driver Regal, on the other hand, I have tried and utterly failed at becoming attached to in any way, shape, or form. I didn't pay my own money for it, as I did my Mustang, it's a family hand-me-down, so it doesn't even feel like mine. It makes my life more convenient, and that's just about it. I might be slightly annoyed at having to call someone for a ride if it got stolen. I cannot find anything about it that endears it to me; I am no more attached to it than I am any other appliance. In fact, I am actually more attached to my toaster. It makes me toast and nice warm pop tarts, and I love toast and nice warm pop tarts.