Who here reads packaged food/drink ingredients list regularly?

I used to do it once in a while, meanwhile I do it regularly. I started to find ingredient lists particularly interesting when I learned that the order is dependent on the amount of the specific ingredient. Thus, when a beverage reads "Water, Sugar, ...", I put it back.

Also, I find the food industry repellent to an increasing degree. I mean, what is the food industry good for anyways? Mass-producing foods to make them available and affordable - yes. BUT ... and this is the catch ... they will also try to find substitute materials which make you think it's the real stuff, but it isn't. I mean who nowadays wouldn't put salami made of minced uteruses onto their deep-freeze pizza if it makes the production cheaper? I liked to think that there is some integrity left, but I think those times are well and gone. It is a highly engineered, profit-orientated business where they try to sell you everything as long as you don't notice, don't barf and don't die. A man once raised a very interesting question about the food industry: what good things has food research brought us in the last 50 years? There is exactly one thing: deep freezing. Everything else they have invented is designed to increase profits by using cheap substitutes.

Disgusting on the same level is the bullshit they write on their packaging. They make almost everything seem either premium, healthy or both. That most of what you put in your shopping cart mainly contains fat, sugar or even both is a simple fact. But they find nice names for it, they bend the truth or even simply lie outspokenly. They also find nice names for nasty things in the ingredient list. The German government has tried to prevent the ridiculous advertising here and there, but since the food lobby is quite an influential one, they always got away. Basically they're saying:"We design a product we can produce as cheaply as possible, we advertise it with blatant lies so you buy as much as possible of it, and we don't give a shit what it does to you as long as you can't sue us." ... except they're not actually saying it.

The food industry sucks, which is why I see myself moving further and further away from prepared food and towards selfmade food. For me, it's like a computer I build by myself. All hand-picked ingredients, so I know exactly what's in it. I love eating, and it has a huge impact on my body as well. That said, shoving an industrially made product into it without thinking about it has never been a good idea.

Last edited:
I've been doing it all the time for about a year now.

It doesn't mean I eat particularly healthy, I can't be bothered with that. But reading the labels does at least mean later when I go home I pig out less because I know just how many calories or grams are fat I'm eating in every so many bites.

Plus, some snacks and stuff are seriously deceiving, so that's another reason to read the labels... I used to eat dozens of Twizzlers at a time, before reading the label and finding out one serving is like 3 pieces. Also, keeping in mind that ingredients are listed in order of which is the most prevalent in that food item, it's shocking to see how many junk food items are made primarily out of sugar or corn syrup solids or other shit like that.

But yeah, like I say, it's more to entertain myself than anything. Food prices and gay ass government lobbies make it pretty much impossible to eat healthy regularly.

Wouw....there is actualy a 'right time' to buy coke huh? (I tend to buy it when I need it) And people actualy calculate what it costs a litre? Are we discussing cutting coupons and reusing toilet paper next? :p

I don't think its that hard to eat fresh food thats healthy for almost every meal in the week. If I'm packing lunch it will be a sandwich with a salad. For dinner I love to cook so it really could be anything. I tend not to drink more than one sugar drink a day, most times its just water. I make things ahead of time, for salad protein I'll cook chicken at the begginning of the week, or steak or whatever protein I get on sale. I always have boiled eggs as backup. Salads even come prewashed and cut these days if you are supremely lazy. I tend to eat a lot more than the average person so I never make it more than 1 meal of leftovers before I need to cook something else for dinners.

Wouw....there is actualy a 'right time' to buy coke huh? (I tend to buy it when I need it)

When it's on sale every few weeks it's considerably cheaper. That would be the right time.

And people actualy calculate what it costs a litre?

Nope, the price tag states cost per unit and cost per litre. No need to calculate yourself.

When it's on sale every few weeks it's considerably cheaper. That would be the right time.

Nope, the price tag states cost per unit and cost per litre. No need to calculate yourself.

Hrmphh......I never notice such things, then again I have been know to do my shopping at gasstations so I might not be the cheapest most price aware person in the world......

As I'm on a bit of a diet right now (4kgs already gone, 20+ to go), I started comparing calories - veeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting. Unfortunately, that alone doesn't cut it. For example, I found out that the low calorie potato chips of Aldi have about the same amount of calories as their dried banana slices. Also, a nice fruit juice has the same calorie figure as Coke. I think we all agree that there is a very big difference in healthiness between these pairs. Therefore, I can only urge to read ingredient lists, but to also use your brain when you want to buy something.

Allergies and only buying kosher stuff for home makes me do it.

As I'm on a bit of a diet right now (4kgs already gone, 20+ to go), I started comparing calories - veeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting. Unfortunately, that alone doesn't cut it. For example, I found out that the low calorie potato chips of Aldi have about the same amount of calories as their dried banana slices. Also, a nice fruit juice has the same calorie figure as Coke. I think we all agree that there is a very big difference in healthiness between these pairs. Therefore, I can only urge to read ingredient lists, but to also use your brain when you want to buy something.

Yeah, quite often someone will point out a 600 calorie salad with a bunch of fat and say something like "that's just as bad as 3 McDonald's cheeseburgers" which if you are only looking at those numbers is fair, however, there is lots of nutrition you get from the salad ingredients that are nowhere to be found in that burger.

Soemtimes. I bought a chocolate joghurt today, despite not liking joghurt, because it had twice as many calories per 100g than the milk I was also buying. Not a good buy, really - I had to chuck most of it away because it was 'orrible. And if I don't like chocolate joghurt, I'm never going to like joghurt.

Soemtimes. I bought a chocolate joghurt today, despite not liking joghurt, because it had twice as many calories per 100g than the milk I was also buying. Not a good buy, really - I had to chuck most of it away because it was 'orrible. And if I don't like chocolate joghurt, I'm never going to like joghurt.

Joghurt? Coolwhip?

In the spirit of this thread, and so you never have to buy a jar again, here's the method for my patent pizza/pasta tomato sauce.

Large wide pan, screaming hot, a couple of lugs of olive oil then a 14oz/400g tin of tomatoes, 1 teaspoon each of sugar and salt and half a teaspoon of black pepper. Keep heating and stir constantly to prevent it sticking or catching until reduced by half then allow to cool. Blitz with a hand blender until smooth with a large clove of garlic and a whole stalk and leaves of fresh basil. Also amazing mixed with freshly cooked pasta and topped with fresh grated parmesan. Makes enough for two large pizzas or pasta for four.

Simples. I shared it with a few forum members a while back, most of whom reported back that it is, indeed delicious.

Latest batch went onto these two. Note segregated pepperoni pizza to handle fussy children who don't like olives or mushrooms.

199158_10150100596428152_534358151_6176712_1610997_n.jpg

Is Joghurt Swedish yoghurt?

I don't really read the ingredients unless I'm particularly concerned, but I know someone who does read them...

[video=youtube;BEGUNcc05-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGUNcc05-E[/video]

I was actually reading phonetically as 'yoghurt' in my head even tho you spelled it that way. I forget but there is no written 'y' used in German, is there?

I'm trying to think of a word where there is a y used as a consonant in the German language. However there is most certainly a word where it is used as a vowel: Bayern (Bavaria).

<-- points at location

Last edited:
You could use it as a consonant in Bayern - Bajern :D

More clearly, Yacht.

Except for the spelling of "Bairisch"

But yeah, Yacht works I guess, though it's a Leihwort. Can't think of any non-Fremdw?rter.