Who here reads packaged food/drink ingredients list regularly?

But yeah, Yacht works I guess, though it's a Leihwort. Can't think of any non-Fremdw?rter.

Well, wikipedia claims it comes from the Dutch/low German word "jacht" ... so apparently the Y was our more recent doing :lol:

I have to read all bread labels these days because it seems that they all put sunflower seeds in every f*cking bread and I'm allergic to them.

That's a shame. I have an awesome salad recipe that uses toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, although I guess you could omit the former.

Anyway might as well leave it here.

Put a tiny amount of oil and add a handful each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds into a frying pan and toast over a medium heat with salt, black pepper and a large pinch of cayenne until they start to colour - best to keep them moving - then remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Cube a de-seeded galia or cantaloupe melon and 250g/8oz of goat's cheese and arrange over 4 plates. Deseed and finely chop a red chilli, and slice up 6-8 spring onions (scallions) and a handful of fresh mint leaves and sprinkle over the cheese and melon along with the toasted seeds. Squeeze over the juice of a fresh lime quarter over each plate, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a little more freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.

Serve with a bread of your choice, and a nice crisp dry rose or sauvignon blanc. The mix of textures and flavours is astonishing.

Wouw....there is actualy a 'right time' to buy coke huh? (I tend to buy it when I need it) And people actualy calculate what it costs a litre? Are we discussing cutting coupons and reusing toilet paper next? :p

Reusing? Kinda sounds like me dad, the scaffy bastard reuses his bloody teabags. Dirty sod ?_?

I cook a lot from scratch so it's not often that I actually buy anything packaged. That is me dad's duty because he is an idle bugger nor can he cook, even attempt to cook or even be arsed to learn how to cook, or just won't do it because there's me an me mam int th'ouse an it's a womans duty to cook; so he buys a lot of pre-made/packaged shite. Then complains about bad guts. ?_?

There is reading labels and then understanding them. A friends girlfriend is doing a fruit juice fast, and is sanctimonious about HFCS. I wanna make something called high glucose cane syrup so people can freak out about it too.

I wanna make something called high glucose cane syrup so people can freak out about it too.

And who says it will be any better?

It's still high fructose something, meaning you modified in a lab to make it into something that in no way occurs in nature.

Real shock was going to the states and looking at the nutritional information compared to European equivalents.

It's like they're trying to kill you guys off.

It's still high fructose something, meaning you modified in a lab to make it into something that in no way occurs in nature.

It is sucrose (table sugar) converted with an enzyme into fructose and glucose at roughly a fifty-fifty ratio. The first thing the body does when it breaks down sucrose is convert it into about a fifty-fifty ratio of glucose and fructose. Google mono and disaccharide.

Perhaps it's modified with an enzyme but so is jam, wine, beer, cheese, yogurt, saurkraut, etc. For centuries...

Glucose and Fructose do occur in nature, they are an essential part of photosynthesis as well as an essential nutrient to humans. They are essentially the building blocks of sucrose.

Caustically science has proved nothing wrong with HFCS.

Which doesn't automatically mean it's bad. I love that we're finally are bucking the trend with using it ubiquitously in soft drinks though, I hate the aftertaste.

It is sucrose (table sugar) converted with an enzyme into fructose and glucose at roughly a fifty-fifty ratio. The first thing the body does when it breaks down sucrose is convert it into about a fifty-fifty ratio of glucose and fructose. Google mono and disaccharide.

Perhaps it's modified with an enzyme but so is jam, wine, beer, cheese, yogurt, saurkraut, etc. For centuries...

Glucose and Fructose do occur in nature, they are an essential part of photosynthesis as well as an essential nutrient to humans. They are essentially the building blocks of sucrose.

Caustically science has proved nothing wrong with HFCS.

Whatever you say chief.

If memory serves you work in the soft drinks industry, right? If so you are the most credible source to tell me HFCS is perfectly healthy to consume.

Seriously, I will shut the fuck up now because I have been schooled. I can't even pronounce some of the words in your post, I guess I'm a 'tard!

I still don't get the "doesn't occur in nature" argument. Who says nature is the be-all and end-all of what is safe to eat? Twerp's post actually makes a lot of sense, and if you don't agree, how about debating rather than being sarcastic. I don't like HFCS either but it's not for health reasons.

I still don't get the "doesn't occur in nature" argument.

You don't get it because it's a stupid argument put forth by a dimwitted guy! Like I said he obviously knows way more than me so I"ll just have to shut up.

Actually HFCS seems awesome... it's preferred by the food and beverage industry over other forms of sweeteners and it's totally safe to consume on the level that the average North American does consume the stuff... it's a win-win!

Am I being sarcastic? Hell to the no - I only ever went off on HFCS to look cool and make myself look knowledgeable which I guess I'm not. Which is just as well since I just drank my last can of Throwback.

Last edited:
I still don't get the "doesn't occur in nature" argument. Who says nature is the be-all and end-all of what is safe to eat?

I've always thought that, too. Mercury and chlorine occur in nature. Doesn't mean you should be drinking them just because they are "natural."

You don't get it because it's a stupid argument put forth by a dimwitted guy! Like I said he obviously knows way more than me so I"ll just have to shut up.

Actually HFCS seems awesome... it's preferred by the food and beverage industry over other forms of sweeteners and it's totally safe to consume on the level that the average North American does consume the stuff... it's a win-win!

Am I being sarcastic? Hell to the no - I only ever went off on HFCS to look cool and make myself look knowledgeable which I guess I'm not. Which is just as well since I just drank my last can of Throwback.
I'm going to level with you then, you're being an asshole and not making any sense. Extreme sarcasm is not an argument. If you disagree with a post, it might be helpful to state why. Anyway I'm out of this conversation.

There is sort of some logic to the 'not seen in nature' argument, as we learned with Thlidomide that the human body is capable of interacting with molecules in all sorts of isomer banter.

That said, problems would have been identified by now.

But...there's just as much logic going the other way. That's one example of something "artificial" behaving poorly. As with the example I previously mentioned, take some naturally-occuring mercury internally, and let me know things pan out. Or drink a glass of chlorine. Two things found in nature that the human body doesn't take to too well.

Just as prehistoric relatives found out through trial and error with things in nature, we too need experimentation to find out if different things will hurt us or not. People used to think tomatoes were poison because they were red.

All the time. I at least want to know what crap I ingest, if I can't avoid it.