The Stig: Who is buying the book then?

Who is buying the book then?

• Total voters
Considering he apparently only was hired on a per-season basis or a similarly short interval there would have been enough opportunities for him to use his growing experience of the working conditions in the new contract.

How exactly? How do you negotiate a better contract with no bargaining chips?

Let's make sure we are clear ona few things:

He didn't have a contract.
His last contract expired months ago.
He was not bound by any kind of non-disclosure agreement.

Are we clear on this now?

He has a contract every season. These contracts are very clear. If he reveals his identity the contract will become void and he will not be given a new one. He hasn't been fired, per se, he will just not be given another contract.

If true then it's due to the independent contractor thing. I'm sure it's not a black and white issue though, for example I can't imagine he had to buy insurance that covered the tyre-eating Koenigsegg. If all the cars he drives are not insured through him personally but either the manufacturer's press office or the BBC then you can't really say he has to buy his own insurance without at least giving background info. See failing tabloids :lol:

Do you have any idea how much the insurance for him alone would cost? The insurance for a koeniggsegg would be pennies in comparison. There is a reason why Jackie
Chan cannot perform his own stunts in hollywood, the insuarance is extotionate.

All this whining about his renewable contract and lack of pension. Hammond and May are on two year renewable contracts (source, all the kerfuffle about the contract negotiations last year or the year before). James May was also on a single-series contract for the first several years (source: James May) which rose to a single year contract until last year (or the year before - see above). As contract staff, I doubt very much whether they benefit from any BBC pension scheme either. It's the way it works.

Yeah, they kicked up a big fuss about their contracts. Greedy, you could say. Especially considering James May was nothing before he was on Top Gear and Richard Hammond was hosting a failing daytime tv show on the now defunct 'granada breeze'.

Ben Collins just left and published his memoirs, and yet all of the bile is reserved for him.

True, but Collins was an external contractor paid to turn up and drive. If he didn't like the pay and conditions he didn't have to do it.

Yes, and after 7 years he decided not to.

The pay reflects the fact that his role is entirely replaceable.

Fine, but then you can't criticise him for 'betraying' anyone. You can't say he is replaceable and expendable, a mere prop, and then expect him to show to wilman a special kind of loyalty that he never received in return.
We will see whether he really is replaceable.

I'll buy it.

Oh man another thread degenerated into heavy arguing... it was a simple yes or no question, people!

Oh man another thread degenerated into heavy arguing... it was a simple yes or no question, people!

Welcome to the Internet!

I wouldn't buy Collins' book, but I may borrow it from my local library when it becomes available.

Won't be buying it, he sure does have racing driver skills, but I wouldn't think of him as a good writer. Clarkson's or May's books are good because these two are good journalists not because they are TG personalities.

I may go to B&N and read some of it in the store. If its interesting, I might buy it. Or I might wait for the local library to get it.

I'll buy it .....if it's free.
anyway, there's TG, there still be another Stig, but what colour will he\she\it be in?

If anyone wants it cheap, its currently ?10 at WHSmiths when its released on thursday. Print off the top voucher in this link and use it to purchase the book for ?5 all in. I think for ?5, its a worthy read :) http://marketing.whsmith.co.uk/images/51/WHSmith_Welcome_Voucher_23_Aug10.pdf

Ive just finished reading perry mcarthys book i bought on ebay the other day for ?2. Thought it was fantastic and couldnt put it down.

If anyone wants it cheap, its currently ?10 at WHSmiths when its released on thursday. Print off the top voucher in this link and use it to purchase the book for ?5 all in. I think for ?5, its a worthy read :) http://marketing.whsmith.co.uk/images/51/WHSmith_Welcome_Voucher_23_Aug10.pdf

Ive just finished reading perry mcarthys book i bought on ebay the other day for ?2. Thought it was fantastic and couldnt put it down.

Except McCarthy actually managed to get into F1. The F1Rejects site proves that any F1 driver, no matter how unsuccessful, is more interesting than a lesser formulae driver. Look at their articles on Jean-Denis Deletraz, or even McCarthy himself.

Except McCarthy actually managed to get into F1. The F1Rejects site proves that any F1 driver, no matter how unsuccessful, is more interesting than a lesser formulae driver. Look at their articles on Jean-Denis Deletraz, or even McCarthy himself.

Meow! This kitty's got claws

Nonadmittance into F1 doesn't preclude you from telling a good story. I'm sure there are plenty of interesting things he'll say about working on Top Gear, if not his racing career itself (which I know nothing of personally).

LeMans racers are more interesting than some dilettante who prances around a track for a couple hours then goes home.

Hrm, lemme think...

NO? NO!

Anyone know where I can buy this cheap online? Right now I've got The Book Depository who have it for $20 AUD