Who is fed up with the "green" movement?

Probably a repost, but I think it fits this thread:
[YOUTUBE]7W33HRc1A6c[/YOUTUBE]

It's not 8:30pm here yet, but I'm going to turn on all the lights and such here, too.

And then I'm going to go out and start all my cars for good measure. F**k the greens.

It's not 8:30pm here yet, but I'm going to turn on all the lights and such here, too.

And then I'm going to go out and start all my cars for good measure. F**k the greens.

don't forget to water your lawn 2-4 times a day for 15 minutes each time.

I don't have a lawn, so I can't do that.

Besides, I wouldn't do that. Not because of any green tendencies, but because Texas is technically still under drought conditions - and I don't want to waste water that I might need for drinking later.

I was at work during the "lights out" We kept ours on :p

So for all the people who celebrated earth hour. As you turned off your lights and sat in the darkness, know that what you saw all around you as you huddled in the dark and cold, without any modern conveniences is exactly what the environmentalist wackos are trying to accomplish for all of humanity. Welcome to the new Dark Ages.

I hope I wasn't the only one that turned on all the lights and appliances at 8:30 pm tonight...

:lol:

I was busy getting pissed at 8:30 and listening to pummeling, loud music.

nouseferaname90

don't forget to water your lawn 2-4 times a day for 15 minutes each time.

I don't have a lawn, so I can't do that.

Besides, I wouldn't do that. Not because of any green tendencies, but because Texas is technically still under drought conditions - and I don't want to waste water that I might need for drinking later.

Just to point out...

This thread has filled up, over the last weeks, with the worst rantings against everything that is not "do whatever you want, waste whatever you can waste, and fuck the rest of humanity".

What is driving this thread now is no more some right point against the we-all-should-live-in-a-cavern-and-eat-our-own-s**t green fanatics, but some grim anger towards everyone telling us that some of our habits are unsustainable and must be changed, even if this is difficult, painful or not funny.

Why be so angry when someone propose to turn the lights out? Do you really think you have a "right" to burn energy and to wate it all around? You should still be thanking whichever god you believe in because you had the chance to be so wealthy as to forget the real value of things.

Turn on all the lights instead of turning them off is one of the most childish way of acting that I have ever seen.

And I'll tell you why: I'll borrow the example from Spectre; We don't have endless resources. Texas, as all US southwest (and many other places in the world, including southern italy), is paying a high price for having believed that water was free and could be used and wasted witout regard. And, let's face it, if someone thinks global warming doesn't exist(which is possible), the only conclusion is that some places on earth simply don't have enough water to have green grass and swimming pools everywhere.

It is the same for all resources: they are not endless, they are not free, they are not "ours". And I think it is vital to understand this, because, as George Carlin pointed out cleverly in his shows, we don't have to save the world, the world is fine with or without us, we have to save our a**.

I am no green, I have not turned off my lights yesterday, nor I am going to turn them off tomorrow or some other day just to make some hypocrit "save the world today, f**k it the rest of the year" thing, but I won't waste energy either, because I don't think the idiocy of the green movement should be used as a cheap justification to avoid dealing with our own errors.

Last edited:
The problem with the world is not enough people are willing to take the middle ground. Here in this topic, you've got people turning on all their lights in some sort of protest to this earth hour malarky. Why? It isn't any more of a protest than merely keeping one light on, or just ignoring it completely. Being deliberately wasteful doesn't prove anything except that you're just as much of a twat as the sanctimonious earth hour people, just in the opposite direction.

And I'll tell you why: I'll borrow the example from Spectre; We don't have endless resources. Texas, as all US southwest (and many other places in the world, including southern italy), is paying a high price for having believed that water was free and could be used and wasted witout regard.

Uhh....

Texas has never believed that water was free. I don't know where you got that idea from, but that's not the case here.

When Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836, there was exactly ONE lake in the entire state. ONE. Of course, the Rio Grande was actually a river and not a damp ditch then, but it wasn't exactly the source of drinking water for the rest of the state. There were other rivers, but even at the time they weren't that impressive, nor could they really support a large city of the era.

Since we wanted to have water to drink, and bathe in, and do all the myriad other things one uses water for, we built lakes. Oh boy did we build lakes. We built over 100 giant lakes to collect water. That's why most of Texas can support cities now - because well water sure couldn't do it.

Perhaps Italy thought that water is free, but Texas never has. Water in Texas is obtained through hard work, not from sitting around praying to Jupiter.

Also, regarding turning all the lights on - it is specifically done to screw up the whole "aerial photography" propaganda scheme of certain green movements that they planned to use to influence Congress. I know for a fact that in California, the Sierra Club was flying an airplane over Los Angeles at 8:30pm local time to photograph what they thought were going to be vast swaths of houses "blacked out" in sympathy with their movement. The intended use was to show politicians how many people support their cause and how the politicians should do what they say. Turning all your lights on tends to ruin the impact of such photography.

Last edited:
the hour thing is 830 pm, right?

I want to make sure I have my ps3 on and am playing GRID while simultaniously on both of my computers with the lights on the living room on. Might wash some clothes for good measure as well while my dad sits in darkness.

Ironically, from the Nashville Post (http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/03/29/al-gore-will-leave-the-lights-on-for-ya/):

Al Gore Leaves The Light On For Ya
By Kleinheider Posted on March 29, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Even during Earth Hour. President of the Tennessee Center For Policy Research Drew Johnson takes a Saturday drive by Al Gore?s during the time most environmentalists went dark:

I pulled up to Al?s house, located in the posh Belle Meade section of Nashville, at 8:48pm ? right in the middle of Earth Hour. I found that the main spotlights that usually illuminate his 9,000 square foot mansion were dark, but several of the lights inside the house were on.

In fact, most of the windows were lit by the familiar blue-ish hue indicating that floor lamps and ceiling fixtures were off, but TV screens and computer monitors were hard at work. (In other words, his house looked the way most houses look about 1:45am when their inhabitants are distractedly watching ?Cheaters? or ?Chelsea Lately? reruns.)

The kicker, though, were the dozen or so floodlights grandly highlighting several trees and illuminating the driveway entrance of Gore?s mansion.

I [kid] you not, my friends, the savior of the environment couldn?t be bothered to turn off the gaudy lights that show off his goofy trees.

Last edited:
^ well what did you expect? its Al Gore... a politician, and since when did that lot ever follow through with their promises or practice what they preached?

Uhh....

Texas has never believed that water was free. I don't know where you got that idea from, but that's not the case here.

[...]

Since we wanted to have water to drink, and bathe in, and do all the myriad other things one uses water for, we built lakes. Oh boy did we build lakes. We built over 100 giant lakes to collect water. That's why most of Texas can support cities now - because well water sure couldn't do it.

Still, you suffer drought, so either too many people are now living in Texas and some of them should go somewhere else (there is a physical limit to how many artificial lakes you can build), or too much water is wasted. Unless, of course, we want to blame Global Warming.

Personally, I think it's realistic to say that part of the water is wasted (even) in Texas.

However, my intention was not to insult people caring for their land. I have borrowed your words not because you are wasting, but because you are aware of the fact that we only have limited resources.

^ well what did you expect? its Al Gore... a politician, and since when did that lot ever follow through with their promises or practice what they preached?

"But but but but he's the great Saint Algore of Greenpeace! He's our leader! He couldn't do anything wrong!" - idiot greenie.

And there have been politicians that did what they promised. Just none lately, and none at all in the current administration or dominating party.

Still, you suffer drought, so either too many people are now living in Texas and some of them should go somewhere else (there is a physical limit to how many artificial lakes you can build), or too much water is wasted. Unless, of course, we want to blame Global Warming.

Personally, I think it's realistic to say that part of the water is wasted (even) in Texas.

However, my intention was not to insult people caring for their land. I have borrowed your words not because you are wasting, but because you are aware of the fact that we only have limited resources.

Yes, we suffer drought - but this is a normal condition. Right now, we're nowhere near the limit of lakes we could build in Texas, actually. We're larger than France with something like 1/3rd the population and lots and lots of undeveloped land. The reason we stopped building lakes is because we have no need of more at the current time, given current projected population trends for the next 40 years. Barring unforseen circumstances, we're set for water. Plan B (which smart people should have) involves the South Texas Nuclear Project (an already existing nuclear reactor complex), the proposed and I believe already approved addition of two new reactors there, and the desalinization/possible hydrocracking station that has been proposed next to it. Desalinating seawater will resolve any drinking water problems quite neatly.

In any case, we save water not just because it is a limited resource but because it is priced accordingly - and everyone wants to save money, now more than ever. Of course water is wasted, even here. Hell, we "waste" water from our lakes through evaporation alone.

That said, there is a difference between common-sense stewardship or resource management and this Earth ?ber Alles religion. Make no mistake, this green movement *is* a religion.

Last edited: