Game: Who likes Classic / Retro Gaming?

You know what I miss in today's racinggames? Weird tracks.....

You had games with real cars and (at the time) somewhat real handling, only you could drive them in industrial complexes, underground tunnelsysthems , volcanic area's, South American jungles with temples, I remember a level in tibet through the himalaya!

Nowadays everyone starts complaining when a track has a corkscrew turn in it.......

Screamer 2 : Arabian (Egyptian?) track:

screamer-2.jpg

1019-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ignition! :D

I have Ignition installed on my laptop and still play it occasionally. A fantastic game, that...

You had games with real cars and (at the time) somewhat real handling, only you could drive them in industrial complexes, underground tunnelsysthems , volcanic area's, South American jungles with temples, I remember a level in tibet through the himalaya!

You are thinking about NFS2? That had the Himalaya level and the temples, and it also had the Hollywood level (Monolithic Studios it was called)...

I don't think I posted this:
Speaking of awesome tracks! :D
It was called "Fatal racing" in Europe.

Wahey! Dragon Quest VI DS is out on February 15. Totally got to buy that. And Tactics Ogre remake on PSP! Same day! I'm an old timey RPG nerrrd.

I suppose this ISN'T retro but I'm not a huge fan of DQIX. I seem to be near the end, the story is kind of rubbish and the core game isn't all that compelling. There is supposedly neat multiplayer stuff and extra unlockable stuff, but since I tend to prefer speeding from beginning to end and only flirting with the fringes of the gameplay that's really not very interesting to me.

Been playing Mechwarrior 2 today, now that I have DOSBox set up and working. Barely by the third mission I've been reminded why this isn't your usual charge-in-and-blow-things-up FPS; you need to use buildings as cover and other such tactics to make survive when you're outnumbered by enemy Summoners.

My favorite 32 bit console era shooters (not quite classic but getting there)

G Darius (PS1)

G%20Darius_01.gif

Thunderforce V (PS1/Sega Saturn)

T-1811G_1,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-1-Thunder-Force-V-JPN.jpg

Sokyu Gurentai (PS1/Sega Saturn)

Soukyugurentai-jap-1.jpg

Radiant Silvergun (Sega Saturn)

radiant_screen009.jpg

Gradius Gaiden (PS1)

ggaiden-11.png

Parodius series (PS1)

1050859289.jpg

Mine would be the arcade version of Daytona USA. I'd say I easily spent $1000 over all the years on it.
More recently me and a few friends got it running on our PC's under emulation and had a 4 player network game. Good times!!

http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/1139/10vs5.png

Mine would be the arcade version of Daytona USA. I'd say I easily spent $1000 over all the years on it.
More recently me and a few friends got it running on our PC's under emulation and had a 4 player network game. Good times!!

Didn't play Daytona 1 much, friend of mine was addicted to that game, even submitted a FAQ writeup to gamefaqs.com. I preferred Daytona 2 in the arcade, never played it on the console

Didn't play Daytona 1 much, friend of mine was addicted to that game, even submitted a FAQ writeup to gamefaqs.com. I preferred Daytona 2 in the arcade, never played it on the console

It's probably not worth playing now if you've never played it before - too old and dated. But for me it holds a lot of memories and massive sentimental value so I absolutely love it. The console versions were pretty poor - the Dreamcast version got close but had sensitive controls. Can't beat the original arcade machine!

My cousin and I used to play Network Q Rally when it came out.

We'd sit there the entire night playing some of the 50 km stages, fuelled on paprika chips and soft drink. You would get mechanical damage too over the stage, so for the last 15 kims, the car would be continually jumping out of gear. Great fun!

We'd sit there the entire night playing some of the 50 km stages, fuelled on paprika chips and soft drink. You would get mechanical damage too over the stage, so for the last 15 kims, the car would be continually jumping out of gear. Great fun!

... and frustrating since they implemented the service rules... I remember one time when I was trying to do the whole rally, and quite far into it I lost sixth gear. After which there was a service break which was not long enough for gearbox change. So I went on and a stage or two later lost fifth as well so I had to finish the leg with the engine screaming on fourth pretty much throughout. But I survived to the end of day service which was long enough for the gearbox change. Only to discover that I had changed a gearbox earlier and was not allowed to do so again...

Provoked some big emotions ,that game...

It's probably not worth playing now if you've never played it before - too old and dated. But for me it holds a lot of memories and massive sentimental value so I absolutely love it. The console versions were pretty poor - the Dreamcast version got close but had sensitive controls. Can't beat the original arcade machine!

Daytona by today's standards is rather arse.

But if you grew up playing it, it's always fun :3
I always have a go whenever I see a Daytona machine.

Speaking old racing games in the Arcades... Anyone remember 'Hard Drivin'?

It had a force feedback steering wheel! It had a stick shift with clutch pedal!! And ignition key!

The sheer level of awesome this thing had even in mid-nineties was mindblowing.

[video=youtube;GW-wRuiev4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW-wRuiev4s[/video]

Last edited:

Oh I played Daytona 1 in the arcades...it was of my generation, I'm just saying I didn't embrace it at the time and liked Daytona 2 much better, both graphically and driving wise.

I have been paying a lot of old PS1 games and Dreamcast games lately, in fact now right now, I just popped Shenmue as I haven't played it in a while, gonna do a complete playthrough before Christmas day.

Also playing Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, gonna finally put this one to bed.

Most of the older games I play have already been mentioned, but I remembered something "new" today.

Terminal velocity. Easily approachable and exiting flying game with big maps and crappy graphics (even then). Been playing it for few hours and it's just as excellent as I remembered. :D