Who takes pics at the Dragon (US 129) ?

Roman

Resident Skydiver
Car(s)
Boring '02 Accent.
I assume you don't want pictures from the beetle forum? :p

It's somewhere I've always wanted to drive, but the last time I was in the US I didn't even have a licence. I hear from friends over there though that the Police are VERY keen, so be careful!

Yeah the police are there almost constantly. My local Miata club goes there several times a year. Just do a track day, it's safer for you and your driving record.

True. I also have a track an hour from my house, and four more within a five hour's drive, including Road Atlanta. Still, Deal's Gap isn't what it used to be. It's getting as crowded and overblown as Pigeon Forge. At least with the track days, the number of registrants are limited, and there are no police.

Enough with the :offtopic: please !

I am not asking for travel advice or suggestions on what to do if I were you on my vacation here.

I know about the cops, read plenty about THP and BCSO at the Dragon, even inputed their favorite spots in the GPS with alarms relative to the speed limit, I am not out to set any kind of record, all I want to do is a road trip and enjoy myself with this car that I have and this topic here is about where to look for possible souvenirs of that part of the trip.

Thank you.

Okay, okay! At least you're not planning a long trip with unrealistic expectations. Have a good time.

There were not many cops (just saw 2) and they seemed more interested in dealing with the idiots on the crotch rockets than everyone out just having fun but not being stupid about it.

Let's face it, on a road like that gross, abject stupidity tends to be self-correcting.

I'll be there this weekend, and next :p

Maybe we will see you there. I'm with the Saturn club that will be there this weekend staying at Fontana Village.

Swing by Fri night around the trout pond at Fontana and hang out for awhile. A few of the Team Integra guys are planning on stopping by Fri night. I do take it you will be with the Integra group since that's the car listed in your profile.

The last few times I was there I just couldn't really get into it because of all the other people on it, not to mention a fair amount of cops. The good news is that there are a lot of other very good roads in the area that aren't easy to find but they're practically devoid of traffic.

Considering the popularity the state should turn it into a track. They would make a bit of cash and save on the costs of policing it.

Considering the popularity the state should turn it into a track. They would make a bit of cash and save on the costs of policing it.

CA-2 would also make a badass one. The national fire service would probably welcome it, since that road primarily exists as a fire road and has been washed out for like 6 years because it's so far down the funding list that it's only just now getting repairs. Especially if they were to extend it to shoot across the desert along I-15 to Vegas. I'd GLADLY pay an exorbitant track fee to get on in LA, blast along without caring about cops, fill up in Barstow, and desert blast all the way to the Nevada border (especially considering this is my preferred route anyway. I've already claimed the life of one Honda Civic's automatic transmission on that route - just 30,000 miles into its life) Just make the entrance fee the same cost as a mid-level speeding ticket and I'm there.

Just walked in the door an hour ago from Tail of the Dragon. Got there Thursday and left Monday morning.

The cops weren't too bad there this weekend. Didn't see any on our run thru on Thursday. Only saw about 3 on Sat. Not sure about Friday and Sunday since we went late and did some night runs. Only one of guys out of a group of about 50 cars got a ticket for about 60 mph. I think anymore they are really looking for people crossing the yellow line and cars and bikes that are just flying thru there. I passed the same trooper at 40 mph (speed limit is 30 mph there) that gave the other guy a ticket and he never gave me a second look.

I had a blast up there as usual and am completely worn out from the trip.