Who takes their car to the track?

Who takes their car to the track?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if rallycross counts as track then 5 times a year or so (when she was up and running of course)

why wouldnt dragstrips count?

why wouldnt dragstrips count?

i would assume he is trying to find out how many people run their cars on road courses. Also i think because going to a local road course tends to be more expensive than going to the local dragstrip in my experience anyway.

I'm biased against drag racing. :) Actually, I just personally find it uninteresting -- not demeaning it...just not my cup of tea.

And I do think there's typically more commitment involved in running road courses; it certainly burns up consumables far faster than a night at a dragstrip where you might make 4-5 passes.

Steve

Only a few times a year. Wish I could do it every weekend, but it's simply too hard on the brakes and tires. It's a lot of fun to wring your car totally out as it would be insane to do that out on the street.

I would like to...but the nearest racing track to me is about a 2 hours drive one way.

Same for me. Even though i live relatively close to the ring, it's still a 2.5 hour drive, not counting the ever-present traffic jams at German Baustelles... So i try to take my car a few times a year to the ring, which is enough for me. I like doing the occasional lap, but my current car is all but made for this kind of thing, so i shouldn't do it too often, because it's especially hard on the brakes. That being said, having my own ring-toy is still a dream of mine, so who knows in the future....

The 'Ring is still a bit too wild and wooly, though :) I say that because I've been there only three times, but holy cow -- people have spun in front of me, made crazy passes, etc, more than at any track day. It's neat to run but you have to assume a far higher level of aggression than you see on a track day, IMO.

As far as distance, there's only one semi-road course within an hour of my home; we typically drive 3-5 hours to get to the track (normally, drive in the night before, overnight in a hotel, drive the next day on the track and then head home).

It definitely does lean on tires and brakes, especially tires when you have a crappy weight/tire ratio like my 300 has.

Steve

I'm biased against drag racing.

well then thats ur opinion. but youre on an automotive enthusiast forum that has different kinds of ppl who like different kinds of racing.

me for example: i LOVE every kinda racing. but drag racing is what got me into cars.

i believe this would be a better thread if drag racing werent exempt.

Are you counting ad-hoc tracks like auto- and rallycross? Then yes, if only very infrequently.... daily drivers, tight budgets, and tracks don't mix too well.

Yep been racing my road car for over 2 years now. Now have bought a dedicated race car to make the big step up next year.

<-- Honda Civic. Need I say more?

Hey, I've seen some pretty quick Civics!

Honestly, though, you shouldn't let that stop you. There are tons of people who track near-stock Miatas -- in fact, there's a pretty strong argument that a Miata is the absolute best $/fun ratio you can get at a track.

Besides, until you get a lot of track time, I can assure you that the thing that will hurt your laptimes the most will be the driver :) :)

Take my car, for example. While I lust after lighter, quicker cars, the truth is that my friend can take his identical 300 and run laps many seconds faster than I. Of course, he's also won the 24 hours of Daytona three times in his career, so I don't feel too terrible about that -- but it shows that I'm the weakest link :)

Steve

Actually, I just personally find it uninteresting

I truly believe that anyone that finds drag racing uninteresting in their own car, has a very boring car. :lol:

No really, I work at a dragstrip, and like most of these guys, getting to a road course is at least a 3 hour drive. Plus, the costs involved are 10 fold what it costs for a day at the drags. :?

Now, I'd love to give a shot at auto-x, but since I work most every weekend I haven't had a chance. :mad:

What, he's somehow stopping you from voting "Yes"?

I voted "at least 3 times a year" because I drag race when I have the chance, and I really couldn't care less what the OP thinks.

well he can't people from voting but he did say no drags

I was wondering how many people here run their daily car on the track. Dragstrips don't count :)

Steve

id have to drive hundreds of miles to reach a dragstrip or even an auto x event

and buick century