Whoa, the Corvette has paddle shifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, pushing forward to upshift is kind of like pushing on the fire button in a fighter jet. One press of the button, and there's bound to be something interesting happening.

Lusitano said:
Vettes are as sophisticated as Ben Hur?s chariot!
You have been voted off the island. Thank you for playing.

bartboy9891 said:
isnt the auto only a 4speed anyway? why bother, it's worth it to just learn to drive the 6 speed

The C6 has a 6 speed automatic. I can't recall for sure but I think the C5 has a 5 or 6 speed auto.

I'm still of the opinion that 5 speeds are plenty for bigger motored vehicles like the Corvette.

Lusitano said:

Yep, Magnetorheological dampers are so old, I mean Ferrari/Porsche/Lotus/Lamborghini has had them since...
Oh wait Ferrari is 2 years behind the Cheap American POS with "OMGWTFBBQ!???!!!111 Leaf Springs."

Perhaps you'd like to fill us in on Nuclear Fusion, I love hearing from people who don't know a thing about what their talking about :no:

thedguy said:
Perhaps you'd like to fill us in on Nuclear Fusion, I love hearing from people who don't know a thing about what their talking about :no:

Ok Smartass, first off it's fission.... :lol:

MasterEvilAce said:
Piss off about the leaf springs. They work.

Yes they work.In fact they work so well that in the Z06 they dumped them altogether and it's been what 10-15 years since they almost completely disappeared from the normal car scene.

You buy yourself a nice "high-tech" coupe and voila you end up with leaf springs as suspension.Wow.

I mean there's no point other than stubborness in keeping with the leaf springs.Even I can set up coilover type suspension quite easily.So what's the point?

klorphil said:
I mean there's no point other than stubborness in keeping with the leaf springs.Even I can set up coilover type suspension quite easily.So what's the point?

why change? it goes around the ring in less than 8 mins --> end of discussion

why do we still use helicopters and submarines? michelangelo already drew them, they're so old :roll:

old school rules, and if you can achieve similar results with less parts, you're on the good way :thumbsup:

could say the same about the porsche GT3, it doesn't use any electronics like all the others do today, so it must suck
well, it's one of the best cars porshe has

The transverse Leafsprings are still on the Vette for one reason...Because GM is to fucking cheap to design a new Chassis. if they were all that, the C6R would use them, but no...they use coilovers.

Yes they work...But think how well Coilovers would work.

As for the Magnetorheological dampers...why are they not on the new Corvette...oh ya...because they didnt work very well...furthermore, to sit there and say that Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo are behind GM in engineering, siting one part which is more "advanced" is stupid (regardless as to wether or not that part was a POS they stopped using)...Corvettes do things differently than European Sportscars...they use displacement and pushrods instead of Engineering and technology...

why change? it goes around the ring in less than 8 mins --> end of discussion

why do we still use helicopters and submarines? michelangelo already drew them, they're so old :roll:

old school rules, and if you can achieve similar results with less parts, you're on the good way :thumbsup:

could say the same about the porsche GT3, it doesn't use any electronics like all the others do today, so it must suck
well, it's one of the best cars porshe has

Yes it does go around the ring in less than 8 min. but IIRC thats the Z06.The Z06 doesn't use leaf springs and neither the C6R.Following your logic why have they changed.

Because leaf springs are rubbish.They have some advantages like less parts to brake better durability and better weight/payload ratio.But for a sports car they don't work.They didnt work before and they dont work today.The Vette and pretty much everything used them in the 60s and 70s because there was nothing better but in 2006 thats not the case anymore.Sports car wise the Vette is the only one to still use that and it doesnt work well.

Re: electronics.

Most sport cars are faster without the electronic aids.It's just there for safety reasons so that the Rowan Atkinson of this world dont kill themselves maxing their cars.With a correctly setup car and some driving skill you dont need electronic aids at all.The Porsche GT3 is a masterpiece at that though reading some road tests its still a handful.

thedguy said:
bartboy9891 said:
isnt the auto only a 4speed anyway? why bother, it's worth it to just learn to drive the 6 speed

The C6 has a 6 speed automatic. I can't recall for sure but I think the C5 has a 5 or 6 speed auto.

I'm still of the opinion that 5 speeds are plenty for bigger motored vehicles like the Corvette.

Lusitano said:

Yep, Magnetorheological dampers are so old, I mean Ferrari/Porsche/Lotus/Lamborghini has had them since...
Oh wait Ferrari is 2 years behind the Cheap American POS with "OMGWTFBBQ!???!!!111 Leaf Springs."

oh its a 6speed?? damn i was off by a long shot. then its not that bad at all, its still a auto but it shouldnt "hunt" for gears nearly as much as i thought it would.

leif said:
The transverse Leafsprings are still on the Vette for one reason...Because GM is to fucking cheap to design a new Chassis. if they were all that, the C6R would use them, but no...they use coilovers.

Yes they work...But think how well Coilovers would work.

As for the Magnetorheological dampers...why are they not on the new Corvette...oh ya...because they didnt work very well...furthermore, to sit there and say that Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo are behind GM in engineering, siting one part which is more "advanced" is stupid (regardless as to wether or not that part was a POS they stopped using)...Corvettes do things differently than European Sportscars...they use displacement and pushrods instead of Engineering and technology...

The only thing that I would give to the Vette is that it got one hell of an engine.Yes its an old pushrod block that in its basic form has been there for what 40 years?But IMO it's still a mighty one.

Taken alone it's a really good car but it dont stand comparison to others in its class.Also you can use it as an everyday grocery getter and its cheap as chips.Then again its a question of tastes i wouldnt take it.Well maybe yes if i had the dough to buy 100 cars.I'm kind of a collector at heart :D

Not this again.

Someone write a script that auto-bans people that post the phrase "leaf springs".

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!11one1!1!1~`11`2~!!~ @`12~!2`!!!!1@`1!!!!2!!!11!!!1!!!!qwerty!!!11!1!!!!

The Corvette makes the most out of "old" technology because it still works. Just like how Porsche still puts the engine in the back. Updating the Corvette with 12-link electromagnetic brake-by-wire Sensotronic computer-controlled Active Steering ceramic disc suspension iDrive springs would alienate their core audience, just like moving the 911's engine to the front would cause a riot.

Now get over it.

:wall: x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

BlaRo said:
NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!11one1!1!1~`11`2~!!~ @`12~!2`!!!!1@`1!!!!2!!!11!!!1!!!!qwerty!!!11!1!!!!

The Corvette makes the most out of "old" technology because it still works. Just like how Porsche still puts the engine in the back. Updating the Corvette with 12-link electromagnetic brake-by-wire Sensotronic computer-controlled Active Steering ceramic disc suspension iDrive springs would alienate their core audience, just like moving the 911's engine to the front would cause a riot.

Now get over it.

:wall: x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

http://img488.imageshack.**/img488/1370/11404218023737iy4qb.jpg

^ :lol: I dunno if that was making fun of me or not, but you need to get out more! :p

(Like I'm one to talk.)

klorphil said:
MasterEvilAce said:
Piss off about the leaf springs. They work.

Yes they work.In fact they work so well that in the Z06 they dumped them altogether and it's been what 10-15 years since they almost completely disappeared from the normal car scene.

You buy yourself a nice "high-tech" coupe and voila you end up with leaf springs as suspension.Wow.

leif said:
As for the Magnetorheological dampers...why are they not on the new Corvette...oh ya...because they didnt work very well

I had this huge post written up, but changed my mind. I will only say 2 things...

The Megentorheological dampers are on the CURRENT corvette's. Do a search on the Corvette C6 suspension.

And

It's fucking GM NOT Ferrari or Mclaren! If they built a car that competed with their cars in price and performance, GM would lose out because of who makes it. Just admit the car does what it's suppost to do, provide great performance per $, and nothing else.

BlaRo said:
^ :lol: I dunno if that was making fun of me or not, but you need to get out more! :p

(Like I'm one to talk.)

No it wasn't aimed at you, Blaro you're one of ones here I like. I'm just so sick of the 2 great debates here at FG.com. "The Porsche is teh suxors" debate and "The Covette is teh suxorz" debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.