Whoa, the Corvette has paddle shifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Boss said:
BlaRo said:
^ :lol: I dunno if that was making fun of me or not, but you need to get out more! :p

(Like I'm one to talk.)

No it wasn't aimed at you, Blaro you're one of ones here I like. I'm just so sick of the 2 great debates here at FG.com. "The Porsche is teh suxors" debate and "The Covette is teh suxorz" debate.

well I'm half on your side then :D, I have nothing against the Leaf springs or anything so don't shoot me yet. Its just the design and proportion seems abit funny.

andyhui01 said:
No Boss said:
BlaRo said:
^ :lol: I dunno if that was making fun of me or not, but you need to get out more! :p

(Like I'm one to talk.)

No it wasn't aimed at you, Blaro you're one of ones here I like. I'm just so sick of the 2 great debates here at FG.com. "The Porsche is teh suxors" debate and "The Covette is teh suxorz" debate.

well I'm half on your side then :D, I have nothing against the Leaf springs or anything so don't shoot me yet. Its just the design and proportion seems abit funny.

We should have in the "Forum rules":
1) No arguing if American cars are good or bad.
2)No arguing if the rotary engine is a good invention or not.
3)No arguing if tuner cars are nice.

No Boss said:
BlaRo said:

(Like I'm one to talk.)

:blush: :cheers:

As a moderator (one of these days, just you wait! :twisted:) at Finalgear, I hereby decree that from henceforth on, the sports car formerly known as the "Corvette" will now be refered to as "that which shall not be named". On penalty of death.

Nothing I have read indicates the C6 has the MR shocks...and I did check on the internet and lots of sites were speculating that the C6 would have it, but thus far I have not been able to find anything which would indicate that the current C6 has an MR suspension package.

I even went as far as to go to the GM website, and they made no mention of the C6 having nything other than a standard suspension setup. tehn I checked the options list...nothing there either. Im not saying im not wrong...Im just saying that if it does have MR shocks, they are being rather tight lipped about it.

and just for accuracy sake, the Road going Z06 does use the Leafspring setup...its all well and good to make fun of the vette...but lets be accurate here people.

and I have never said that the Z06 Corvette dosent offer bargain performance...what i freaking hate is the band of Corvette freaks out there who defend the thing to the end...and wont shut up about it.

FACT: the 7.0L LS7 engine does not get 28MPG (ask anyone who owns one...like my neighbor) try 18MPG

FACT: the people who tested the C6 (non Z06) on the 'ring did their time with the TC in the full on position...citing that the car would not have been able to set the time it did with it off...due to squirly handling

FACT: the Z06 has an isolating ride, which makes it very very difficult, although not impossible, to drive on the limmit...

FACT: the Cabin sucks

FACT: the depreciation of Corvettes is freaking staggering...meaning that it is cheaper to buy a Porsche GT3 so long as you intend to sell the car...if you plan to keep the car forever, the Z06 is cheaper.

but these things do not take away from the fact that it is a performance bargain...they are just flaws.

leif said:
they are just flawed.

Which every car is.

I defend the 'vette so much because I get sick of hearing day in and day out (both on the net and off) that American cars are worse than Pacific Rimmers. And that cars have to have all this technology to be great.

I can't comment on the c6, but my friends dad had a C5 z06 and he has nothing but good things to say about it. He only bought it to drive the piss out of it, so any thing that bothers you for Daily driving he never noticed (like crappy interior or shitty ride).

Should we just make a new thread that compiles all the other threads that have dissolved into a "American cars are rubbish LOLZOMG!!!!! PAGANI!!!!! VEYRON!!!!" argument?

On my count it's around 15 so far.

12-link electromagnetic brake-by-wire Sensotronic computer-controlled Active Steering ceramic disc suspension iDrive springs

sth like that can only be invented by koenigsegg :lol:

Dihedral Synchro-Helix Door Actuation anyone? :think:

leif said:
Nothing I have read indicates the C6 has the MR shocks...and I did check on the internet and lots of sites were speculating that the C6 would have it, but thus far I have not been able to find anything which would indicate that the current C6 has an MR suspension package.

I even went as far as to go to the GM website, and they made no mention of the C6 having nything other than a standard suspension setup. tehn I checked the options list...nothing there either. Im not saying im not wrong...Im just saying that if it does have MR shocks, they are being rather tight lipped about it.

and just for accuracy sake, the Road going Z06 does use the Leafspring setup...its all well and good to make fun of the vette...but lets be accurate here people.

and I have never said that the Z06 Corvette dosent offer bargain performance...what i freaking hate is the band of Corvette freaks out there who defend the thing to the end...and wont shut up about it.

FACT: the 7.0L LS7 engine does not get 28MPG (ask anyone who owns one...like my neighbor) try 18MPG

FACT: the people who tested the C6 (non Z06) on the 'ring did their time with the TC in the full on position...citing that the car would not have been able to set the time it did with it off...due to squirly handling

FACT: the Z06 has an isolating ride, which makes it very very difficult, although not impossible, to drive on the limmit...

FACT: the depreciation of Corvettes is freaking staggering...meaning that it is cheaper to buy a Porsche GT3 so long as you intend to sell the car...if you plan to keep the car forever, the Z06 is cheaper.

but these things do not take away from the fact that it is a performance bargain...they are just flaws.
you are just anti corvette. many of those "facts" are false. You just dont see the point of the vette. Its a mucsle car with a plastic american interior with the bouns of supercar performance. Its not a supercar!

Carsightings said:
leif said:

you are just anti corvette. many of those "facts" are false. You just dont see the point of the vette. Its a mucsle car with a plastic american interior with the bouns of supercar performance. Its not a supercar!

banghead.gif

leif said:

hi there leif.
this can only be a good thing for those looking for one second-hand in a few years. you can get vettes that are only a few years old for next to nothing. inversely, many people want vettes and you may be able to sell them for more than they are worth.

bartboy9891 said:
leif said:

hi there leif.
this can only be a good thing for those looking for one second-hand in a few years. you can get vettes that are only a few years old for next to nothing. inversely, many people want vettes and you may be able to sell them for more than they are worth.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Still:
room.jpg

no i'm completely serious. think about how cheap ZO6's will be soon.
here in michigan, you can buy an '04 ZO6 (originally around $50K) with 20,000 miles on it for about $30K. $30K is an amazing deal. of course i'm completely ignoring the people that bought it new...

Magnet said:
Should we just make a new thread that compiles all the other threads that have dissolved into a "American cars are rubbish LOLZOMG!!!!! PAGANI!!!!! VEYRON!!!!" argument?

On my count it's around 15 so far.

I say sticky a thread with links to all the threads where people bitch about the vette and/or American cars.

Or better yet just pull the entire arguements out of them and then put them in a fresh stickied thread.

This is precisely why GM could never make and sell a car on par with the pricing of a Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari. It would still be a GM made vehicle and will depreciate like one.

Anything with a Chevy badge will depreciate, it's a fact of life. Given how many 'vette's are sold each year in the states, it's bound to happen. One of the many reason's it's been nick named the "Everymans sports car."

And as far as MPG's go, your more than right. The EPA testing system is a joke, cars aren't actually tested it's done via a simulation. GM has just mastered manipulating it. And besides that...

Anyone who gets 26 or more MPG from a c6 or z06 needs to have the car taken away, as they aren't driving it properly.

All I have to say about this endless argument is:

I wish people would stop talking about the 'Vette in terms of price, as how it's such a bargain when compared to anything else. "It's ok, but considering how cheap it is...it's fantastic!" Dammit, it's a pretty good car on its own merits, stop passing it off as a cheaper alternative! :?

its a 6 speed auto and America makes the best transmissions...BMW use to buy GMs 5 speed getrags trannys for the previous gen 5 series

niteriyder said:
America makes the best transmissions...BMW use to buy GMs 5 speed getrags trannys
Getrag makes several trannies for both Ford and GM, but unless I'm way off base here, Getrag is a German company.

Back on topic, however, when "manumatics" hit the market in the US, the vast majority of them were setup forward +, back -. Several are now the other way round, but the 'Vette's setup is most likely used because it's more familiar in US cars.

kaleidopope said:
niteriyder said:
America makes the best transmissions...BMW use to buy GMs 5 speed getrags trannys
Getrag makes several trannies for both Ford and GM, but unless I'm way off base here, Getrag is a German company.

Back on topic, however, when "manumatics" hit the market in the US, the vast majority of them were setup forward +, back -. Several are now the other way round, but the 'Vette's setup is most likely used because it's more familiar in US cars.

GM and ford both make some of their own, and also outsource as well.
Most automatics for GM are made by Hydromatic (a company they own).
GM's 6-speeds I believe are Tremec Units which are designed by tremec.

Status
Not open for further replies.