• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Why are best cars always British?

darcangelo

Does it strike anyone as the least bit odd that all the seriously cool cars on TG are always either British or British made? They're always like "hmm yeah that Porsche might be technically speaking the best car... but a TVR, now that has soul!"... I've also seen that if you watch a french car show it just so happens that the best cars a french... so does this have something to do with the way a car is specifically tailored for the needs of a market or is it just misplaced nationalism?

Yeah i like the way he talks about the Frenchies :mrgreen:

[Spinning the Clio V6 "I think the problem is that it's French, it's a surrender-monkey"] :mrgreen:

Truth is, we know British cars aren't that great. In history, they've been break-down monkeys.

But hey, it's their show and their country.

Truth is, we know British cars aren't that great. In history, they've been break-down monkeys.

yeah my thoughts exactly... when they test a french car they're like "oh look at this, it's so horibly built and it breaks down every 50 miles"... when they test a TVR they're like "yeah this car has been known to have some issues with the build quality but just listen to that remarkable engine sound!"

or they test a Lambroghini they're like "yeah but it's reactions are too violent, it's twitchy... not like a Noble who's precise like a surgeon's knife". But when they test a Porsche they're like "this is too precise, it doesn't have a soul, it's the result of heartless german engineering... not like the TVR which may throw you around corners in oversteer if you're not careful, but just feel the passion!"

and so on... the comentaries seem very biased to me...

Why are the best cars always British? It's because we're so great :wink:

*Simon runs to a safe distance*

its a british show with british people who will like british cars and british design more then others.

notice also that JC brings bit of history to almost every car review.

tbh it is a little nationalist in that its a bit bias towards england, but i dont think that much. JC and co. are British grown people and have lived a very traditional English lives, especially James May whos a very down to earth toff (cambidge/oxford) type person. And so their values will be reflected in the cars they favour, and so cars like the DB9 will appeal more. tbh having been in a e-type and a db7 on many occasions i can see the appeal and that other car may seem tritely dull and lacking character

Well, I think we all would kick Clarkson's ass for proclaiming the Carerra GT uncool. He had a point, just not a valid one. He's entitled to his opinions, but I don't share many of them. Who cares? I think half of the comedy is watching him trash other cars.

i do kinda agree with him tbh, not just because hes JC. I think the super 7, the r500 caterhams and the lotus elise are amazing cars, even though they would rate low too on his scale because they are not strictly cars, they are track cars, like the Porsche 911GT. The merc SLR is cool because it can be used in every day really life kinda situation. not sure if u get what i mean. 911GT - track car, not much good for much else although u can try, SLR ever day car thats been given the once over by mclaren. But yeah its a very personal opinion

Honestly, I think it's pity.

British cars really aren't that great and the only way you can really compliment a crappy car is by calling it an underdog and saying it has "soul". I understand where they're coming from; the sound of the engine, the classic styling, and the oversteer-biased natures of British cars are charming but they really aren't winning.

They aren't great cars, but they've got spunk. It's the same way people talk about classic cars, they drive like crap and probably pollute like crap but they've gotten "soul".

What has always baffled me is that TG gave the M3 CSL a seriously uncool rating because it had a carbon fibre roof... :?

MPower said:
What has always baffled me is that TG gave the M3 CSL a seriously uncool rating because it had a carbon fibre roof... :?

That is because people would go "Why is your roof different" or something similar and then you "the owner" would have to explain.

That makes it annoying and uncool, well at least to birtish

MPower said:
JC not a bmw lover.....so that is why the csl has to have something wrong...anyway top gear its a show and thats all...you cannot judge a car by listening what JC or his group are telling...(although some people do that)...carrera gt uncool...mclaren slr cool....come on...the carrera gt is a proper supercar... the slr is another sl...some people even say that the amg shouldn't have made the sl 65 biturbo because it is better than the slr...

kteO1 said:
JC not a bmw lover.....

Well, he seemed pretty impressed with it in the Isle of Man.

They also criticize a lot of British cars, don't forget, like the Jaguar S they're all day criticizing or the Bentley GT which got a very bad review.

They love a lot of foreign cars : Carrera GT, SLR, Zonda, etc.

But I have to agree on the DB9 which I believe is just wonderful and... British :wink:

I think I would like all cars they tested...He is in the position to say a Bentley GT is a bad car...I would be happy with that Clio V6....(No i'm not happy with that suzuki liana)

VUK said:
MPower said:

That is because people would go "Why is your roof different" or something similar and then you "the owner" would have to explain.

That makes it annoying and uncool, well at least to birtish
Ya. I saw the episode where they explained it. But, carbon-fibre is always cool... IMO.

What has always baffled me is that TG gave the M3 CSL a seriously uncool rating because it had a carbon fibre roof...

that's odd, I thought he gave it an uncool rating because the boot was made out of cardboard so you couldn't put anything heavy in it or else it risked falling on the ground through the boot...