Why are best cars always British?

darcangelo

Member
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
51
BTW I find it VERY wierd that JC always praises British cars but he never actually buys one for himself!! His last car was a Ferrari 355 (Italian), his actual car is a Mercedes SL55 AMG (German) and his future car will be a Ford GT (American)... I mean if he loves Astons that much wouldn't it be logical to buy one for himself???

oh and speaking of "cool" British cars... I've actually had the priviledge of driving in a Jaguar XK8 convertible... it has horrible!!! I don't know why they call it "sporty" cause I could overtake more easily in my 1993 1.4 Nissan Sunny... It does acelerate hard when you're like over 100 kph (60 mph) but usually you use your car to accelerate from 0 or from low speeds, once on the highway you don't really care for acceleration. I also found the roof pretty noisy (yes it's a convertible but it costs more than 75.000 euros for Pete's sake!), and I actually had MORE leg room in my Nissan Sunny than in that thing!! Before the test drive, the Jag XK8 convertible was THE perfect car for me, I couldn't wait to get a good paying job to buy one... after the test I came out wondering who the hell would spend such money on such a car!!! It may look cool on TG when they glide on the beach with it, but for driving one in the city it sucks!!

SMI?LE
 

yagoceron

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
32
Location
Spain... the last frontier...
darcangelo said:
BTW I find it VERY wierd that JC always praises British cars but he never actually buys one for himself!!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he owned at least a Jaguar and a Bentley.

And this topic started as they think Brit' cars are the best and you show that JC owned many non British cars so it proves they're not all biased :)

And of the three, two own German cars and only one has a British car.

darcangelo said:
I mean if he loves Astons that much wouldn't it be logical to buy one for himself???
He said he would order the new Aston Martin V8 as he "could not" afford a DB9 :wink:
 

kteO1

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2003
Messages
197
yagoceron said:
kteO1 said:
JC not a bmw lover.....
Well, he seemed pretty impressed with it in the Isle of Man.

They also criticize a lot of British cars, don't forget, like the Jaguar S they're all day criticizing or the Bentley GT which got a very bad review.

They love a lot of foreign cars : Carrera GT, SLR, Zonda, etc.

But I have to agree on the DB9 which I believe is just wonderful and... British :wink:
well at that particullar episode i think it was the only time that he didn't attack at bmw and made a good publicity.but even at that episode while he was testing the csl made some stupid comments such as <<why the sport button isn't always on>>
<<why the traction control isn't always of>>
<<there is no aircondition so you can only go a ride with this car when there is no sun>>
<<and if you go for a ride and it rains you cannot drive because of the slicks>>
<<and if it is going to rain you won't know it because there is no radio>>
i mean come these are stupid comments for a track day car.why didn't he said the same thing for the 360 modena cs?for the porsche gt3?these comments were made only to harm bmw in an episode that was dedicated to bmw(maybe he was forced to do that episode)..because if you remember beside the m3 csl they tested the m1 the first m3 and the old m5
..at that episode also it was obvious that he can drive with the smg which he says that sucks because it is rubbish.....maybe because he cannot drive one.
 

karbak

New Member
Joined
May 11, 2004
Messages
3
yagoceron said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he owned at least a Jaguar and a Bentley.
Do you have a link for that ? I've trying to find out for a while what the hosts (all three) themselves drive every day :).

On a related note - relevant to this thread, I'm reminded of this post that someone made on Slashdot a while ago, that I saved for posterity and amusement value :

As for leaking oil I've always found that the British are the masters of getting cars to do that. As well as leaking tops.

For a long time I couldn't understand why my cars from sunny Italy all had tops that never leaked a drop that you could operate with one hand at a stoplight and had heaters that could give you heatstroke in the middle of a Canadian winter; but all my British cars had tops that took three men an hour to erect that then leaked like sieves and heat that only worked in July.

And then I had a revelation. The Italians are used to being warm and dry and take that state seriously, whereas being warm and dry is simply a concept that has never even occured to the British.
And how ... another day washed out at Wimbledon :).
 

darcangelo

Member
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
51
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he owned at least a Jaguar and a Bentley.
JC had a DB7 as well
where do you people get your infos??? All I know of is the Ferrari, the Merc and the Ford because he talked about them on TG... of course, I suppose that someone who loves cars has more than one :)
 

yagoceron

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
32
Location
Spain... the last frontier...
karbak said:
yagoceron said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he owned at least a Jaguar and a Bentley.
Do you have a link for that ? I've trying to find out for a while what the hosts (all three) themselves drive every day :).
Well for the usual co-hosts, they said it in some episodes.

The young one sorry can't remember their names, has a 911 and the other one a Bentley.

For Clarkson, it is what I remember from watching TopGear when I lived in the UK but that was like 6 or 7 years ago :wink:
 

Renesis

Lazier than Viper
Joined
Nov 27, 2003
Messages
9,680
Location
Quebec, Canada
Car(s)
2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI
richard was the porsche owner.. but he sold it supposedly to get the charger but I dont know if he got one...
 

idletask

Active Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
256
Location
France
We have to give this to the British that they actually make the best track cars in the world. Nowhere else in the world will you find a Radical SR3 or a Westfield XTR2, for example. Or a Morgan Aero 8. Or... Well, you name it. The only trouble with them is that the rather loose rules of the SVA they have is simply not available in any other country that I'm aware of.

I definitely agree with JC at least that yes, British cars have the soul and passion to stir your mind. I'm far from being as involved in the driving experience in a Z3 M than I am in my current VX220 Turbo (well, Speedster Turbo on this side of the Channel it is called). This is their strength, and, straight and true, there are just no other cars in the world that can claim that. If there weren't the British small manufacturers, the automotive scene would indeed be very dull. Well, except of course for the 911 GT3/GT3 RS and, of course, pretty much all Ferrari cars (612 excepted - 1850 kg is NOT fun).

But then, the other problem is that passion and practicality just don't mix very well. Real British cars are not tools. They're all about passion. And we should thank them for that. Just, if they could be a little less expensive and less hard to import... Well, I'd now tool along in an XTR2!
 

MPower

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
767
Location
California, USA
Uhhh.... no. I find it very hard to believe that every British car is full of passion. The Rover 75... not passionate. The Nobles... fast, but not passionate.
 

diegoman

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
45
Location
Paris, France
MPower said:
Uhhh.... no. I find it very hard to believe that every British car is full of passion. The Rover 75... not passionate. The Nobles... fast, but not passionate.
I agree for the 75 :mrgreen:

but the Noble M12 is a great car...

TopGear is a British show, and Jeremy is English... so it's obvious he says British cars are the best. It's only pure nationalism :D

For example, look at the last comparison test between the 645ci, the 911 and the XKR... how can you choose an XKR instead of a 911 that is much more fun. Well you have to be English to make that choice !

And look at Jeremy's comments on countries like Australia (I remember the test of the Monaro :D), Germans (the 645, M3 and Porsche), French (more about the country, not cars :roll: he loved the Clio V6), Americans (Cadillac CTS and Escalade, the new Mustang)... I think he likes Italian people he doesn't say a lot about them :mrgreen:

Sure, that's part of the show, and it's only humour for him.
 

MPower

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
767
Location
California, USA
Well, its funny because in the DB9 review he says, "so it is quick... like an Aston should be." "Its comfortable... like an Aston should be." "Its quiet... like an Aston should be." Its like he went into the test drive saying that an Aston Martin should be the best car in the world.
 

kteO1

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2003
Messages
197
but he did...if you remeber he said that the 3 astons db9 vantage and the one that will be produced from this year i think are 3 of the greatest cars in the world.....and they are british....
 

zenon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
2,545
Location
Vancouver, Canada
diegoman said:
TopGear is a British show, and Jeremy is English... so it's obvious he says British cars are the best. It's only pure nationalism :D
That's exactly the way I think about it to. He's British, he lives in England, he's around British cars a lot, he has a pretty strong connection to the British car scene; therefore, he likes British cars.

Just be glad that he is British and biased towards British cars! Just think of all the millions of North Americans who are biased towards American cars. They drive around in shitty broke-ass Camaros, Mustangs, Cutlases, Thunderbirds etc. If you're blatantly biased towards British cars alteast you get to be obsessed with sweet Aston Martins, Jaguars, Austins etc.



Here's a question for the British people on the forum: here in North America, it is quite common to see hicks with 15 rusted out Camaros in their front lawn (whenever I go over to one of my friend's place we always play 'count the Camaros'... his Dad has around 15-20 of them, 1 of wich actually runs). Do the people equivalent to North American hicks in England (I'm sure there is some equivalent over there) have tonnes of rusted out old British cars all over the lawns? I'm guessing this could only happen in the countryside, but still, are there people like that there, and how common is it?
 

diegoman

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
45
Location
Paris, France
MPower said:
Well, its funny because in the DB9 review he says, "so it is quick... like an Aston should be." "Its comfortable... like an Aston should be." "Its quiet... like an Aston should be." Its like he went into the test drive saying that an Aston Martin should be the best car in the world.
Also, cars manufacturers must have contacts with TopGear and push them to say what they want.
 

MPower

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
767
Location
California, USA
You would think so but if that were true, then TopGear wouldnt have said what they said about the Crossfire and others.
 

kteO1

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2003
Messages
197
diegoman said:
MPower said:
Well, its funny because in the DB9 review he says, "so it is quick... like an Aston should be." "Its comfortable... like an Aston should be." "Its quiet... like an Aston should be." Its like he went into the test drive saying that an Aston Martin should be the best car in the world.
Also, cars manufacturers must have contacts with TopGear and push them to say what they want.

agree!!!!!!!example:at the show dedicated at lamborghini for 50years anniversary murcielago became the fastest car in the track.... :twisted:
 

MPower

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
767
Location
California, USA
kteO1 said:
diegoman said:
MPower said:
Well, its funny because in the DB9 review he says, "so it is quick... like an Aston should be." "Its comfortable... like an Aston should be." "Its quiet... like an Aston should be." Its like he went into the test drive saying that an Aston Martin should be the best car in the world.
Also, cars manufacturers must have contacts with TopGear and push them to say what they want.

agree!!!!!!!example:at the show dedicated at lamborghini for 50years anniversary murcielago became the fastest car in the track.... :twisted:
Yet during that same episode they stated how disappointing the Muira was to drive, the Countach was to drive, and how the Gallardo isnt better than a 360. :wink:
 

kteO1

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2003
Messages
197
MPower said:
kteO1 said:
diegoman said:
MPower said:
Well, its funny because in the DB9 review he says, "so it is quick... like an Aston should be." "Its comfortable... like an Aston should be." "Its quiet... like an Aston should be." Its like he went into the test drive saying that an Aston Martin should be the best car in the world.
Also, cars manufacturers must have contacts with TopGear and push them to say what they want.

agree!!!!!!!example:at the show dedicated at lamborghini for 50years anniversary murcielago became the fastest car in the track.... :twisted:
Yet during that same episode they stated how disappointing the Muira was to drive, the Countach was to drive, and how the Gallardo isnt better than a 360. :wink:
think again....they said that the gallardo is so much better car than the ferrari but if they would have to choose they would go for the 360 only because when you buy a ferrari you enter in this 50 year red golden glorry....
that means we don't like germans but italians so because gallardo has a german engine is shitty......
the best car at the show was the murcielago because it is the perfect italian german combination...(italian design the car and the germans confirm that they will produce it on time....) :?
so they didn't like the gallardo for shitty reason. the counatch also because it was a supercar and not a luxury fast car..
and the murcielago was the fastest on the track that day....
 

MPower

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
767
Location
California, USA
kteO1 said:
MPower said:
kteO1 said:
diegoman said:
MPower said:
Well, its funny because in the DB9 review he says, "so it is quick... like an Aston should be." "Its comfortable... like an Aston should be." "Its quiet... like an Aston should be." Its like he went into the test drive saying that an Aston Martin should be the best car in the world.
Also, cars manufacturers must have contacts with TopGear and push them to say what they want.

agree!!!!!!!example:at the show dedicated at lamborghini for 50years anniversary murcielago became the fastest car in the track.... :twisted:
Yet during that same episode they stated how disappointing the Muira was to drive, the Countach was to drive, and how the Gallardo isnt better than a 360. :wink:
think again....they said that the gallardo is so much better car than the ferrari but if they would have to choose they would go for the 360 only because when you buy a ferrari you enter in this 50 year red golden glorry....
that means we don't like germans but italians so because gallardo has a german engine is shitty......
the best car at the show was the murcielago because it is the perfect italian german combination...(italian design the car and the germans confirm that they will produce it on time....) :?
so they didn't like the gallardo for shitty reason. the counatch also because it was a supercar and not a luxury fast car..
and the murcielago was the fastest on the track that day....
They did not say that the Gallardo was "so much better" car than the Ferrari. In the end, they said that the Ferrari was the better buy or a.k.a. the better car.
 
Top