Why are best cars always British?

no no no...jeremy himself said...the gallardo is so much better car than the 360 but when you buy a ferrari you don't just get a car but you enter in this 50 year red golden glorry...
and then the other said you are right i was ready to say the same thing..the gallardo is not good because it isnot a ferrari.. :mrgreen:

NO. He NEVER says that the Gallardo is better than the 360. Never.

its best to think of JC as an automotive comedian, and leave it as that.

I like the way he piss takes, just remember to take it with a pinch of salt

Isn't it usually "grain of salt" in English?

I think maybe the point has been missed by some ppl. The appeal of JC as a host is his humour you have the other host Richard to balance with a love of the soulless (BMW & Porsche).:p
A few more points on JC:
-He constantly plugs Alfa.
-The cars he talks about owning in the show are not British bar one Jag.
-The Z4 is a piece of rubbish - believe it.
-He likes and ownes Merc's.
-The Noble has been praised by many more reviewers than just JC.
-The cool wall is not meant to be taken seriously, seriously!
-He has given far more compliments to non British cars.
-He has insulted British cars and the British car industry on far more than one occasion.

I guess the American posters just need to accept that bar the Ford GT there hasn't been a decent car come out of the US since the 70's.

Anyway I'll just go hide behind Simon now.... :?

the z4 is not rubbish.... :evil:
as i've said and before JC makes a car show and nothing more..he is not objective and certainly he is not the right person to judge how fast a car is or how cool a car is...he sold the f355 for a sl55...
i donnot believe the z4 is rubbish..i just think it is great fantastik wonderfull better than the slk the boxster the s2000....

Ive driven the Z4 and have to agree its ride is just too rough for a BMW. The S2000's ride and feel are worlds better but I cant stand the screaming 2.0L and having to wait for higher revs to get the power. Never been in a Boxter so I cant comment.

As for the "there hasn't been a decent car come out of the US since the 70's" I really cant agree with that. Aside from the CTS there is the 1997+ Vette, Viper, 2003 Mustang Cobra, Cobra R, Neon SRT4, Focus SVT, 300M, Sebring, Taurus SHO, Cougar, anything Panoz, Shelby Series 1, ..... we in the US arnt void of good cars (even tho most of us want cars that arnt exported here ;))

A piece of Rubbish is a big word, if you have the privilege to drive all the cars JC has driven it's a little bit easier to say that. Unless you've really driven one (Don't know if you did) you can't say it's a piece of rubbish.

Yep ok I stand corrected Likwid. The US has alot of decent cars :oops: just not too many ultra fantastic make your mouth drool cars, although a viper would be nice.
As for the Z4 I went and test drove it. I walked in expecting it to be great but left with a very different opinion. It's interior is cheap, its ride is track car only harsh, it sounds average and it never really feels fast.
I may be a picky person but if someone like myself who hasen't driven too many great cars can get out of the Z4 being greatly dissapointed it can't be a great car. It's only my opinion anyway. :)

well i became so curious that i also went to drive a z4 test drive....i don't know which version you guys drove but for me it was the one with the 2.2lt engine, the 5speed manual gearbox,dvd navigation system with the i-drive,and the standard wheels..
well for the ride i thought it was pretty good for a roadster.the salesman told me that there is an m-package which includes a stiffer suspension and a differential and sport seats..so you guys may have tested that version..
i personally loved the interior and that 6.5"color monitor.and in no way it is cheap but it is not impresive...when i say impresive i mean that it is simple it doesnt have 2million buttons...but in no way you can say it is cheap..
for the engine:although i was the little 2.2 engine and not the 3.0 and it had the 5thspeed gearbox it is simply fantastic.i loved it more than the 1.8lt kompressor that mercedes has.
but also that is my opinion only.

zenon said:
Here's a question for the British people on the forum: here in North America, it is quite common to see hicks with 15 rusted out Camaros in their front lawn (whenever I go over to one of my friend's place we always play 'count the Camaros'... his Dad has around 15-20 of them, 1 of wich actually runs). Do the people equivalent to North American hicks in England (I'm sure there is some equivalent over there) have tonnes of rusted out old British cars all over the lawns? I'm guessing this could only happen in the countryside, but still, are there people like that there, and how common is it?

Hmmm... not sure about that one. I'm not sure if it's common practice over here. I know of someone who has a lot of Citroens that he buys and restores - they all look like rust buckets to me! Sometimes farmers seem to have random rust machines lying around their farms. There are gypsies too I guess, though they mostly have caravans and range rovers.

Anyone else find anything different?

Humm..
Reading thru the comments here and it seems many of you are misinterpreting the guys at Top Gear options and comments for facts and reviews.

We all saw the CSL test, and during that test JC was impressed by it and gave an honest review. Same went for the GT, he was blown away by that car and the track time showed it. The Vette, also got a great review and the track time was a shock.

But when they get to there option like the cool wall, or just regular comments, they will bash on them left and right. They might be more forgiving to say a British car (Not the S-Type.. Which is what i have :cry: ) but its only during comments and other stuff. When they get in a car to review it, they are down to business. I think they expect most people to see thru there little side comments to find if the car is a good one or a bad one, there comments are what make me watch the show.
I mean just because it?s a great car does not always mean they like it, so, it would make sense for them to poke fun of the cars they don?t like.
And a more about there nationalism, just think of a show like that in the US or your home country, the local car would get getting nice comments. While true in there review they might beat down on it, when asked which car they would buy i think most would pick the American, just because of that small something.
And if you read the magazine also, it makes more sense as they tend to be more to the point, like JC actually saying LOVEING the new S-Type Diesel, but he still hates how it looks. And in the back of the Mag is TopGears buying guide which is where most Brits I think would make these decision to buy a car vs say the cool/uncool wall.