Why are best cars always British?

Just to make a quick note on what has been discussed here about what cars the hosts drive... JC often talks about his personal life and his past cars in his Sunday Times articles. For those of us living outside the UK these articles are also appearing in compilation books available from i.e. amazon.com I bought a few just for teh fun of it and my god I dont remember when I last laughed so hard when reading a book. So if you like JC's comic you guys might like to have a look at his books they are hilarious...

zenon said:
diegoman said:
TopGear is a British show, and Jeremy is English... so it's obvious he says British cars are the best. It's only pure nationalism :D

That's exactly the way I think about it to. He's British, he lives in England, he's around British cars a lot, he has a pretty strong connection to the British car scene; therefore, he likes British cars.

Just be glad that he is British and biased towards British cars! Just think of all the millions of North Americans who are biased towards American cars. They drive around in shitty broke-ass Camaros, Mustangs, Cutlases, Thunderbirds etc. If you're blatantly biased towards British cars alteast you get to be obsessed with sweet Aston Martins, Jaguars, Austins etc.

Here's a question for the British people on the forum: here in North America, it is quite common to see hicks with 15 rusted out Camaros in their front lawn (whenever I go over to one of my friend's place we always play 'count the Camaros'... his Dad has around 15-20 of them, 1 of wich actually runs). Do the people equivalent to North American hicks in England (I'm sure there is some equivalent over there) have tonnes of rusted out old British cars all over the lawns? I'm guessing this could only happen in the countryside, but still, are there people like that there, and how common is it?

erm well thats a hard one, generally speaking us brit's have a lot less land than you yanks so there's less car storage space. Plus there loads of stupid euro regs coming in on cars which means it's more annoying to own a load of crap heaps.
Saying that I own a few rusting brit classics and have a friend who has god knows how many triumphs and alvis (he restores cars). So in a way yes, but not really in the same spirit.

As for why britsish cars are always best, well I don't agree that top gear always backs the brit's.
The DB9 is an amazing car and truely desrves the rank it has aquired. But when they reviewed the vanquish they did point out it's ford related interior short comings.
How any one can knock the current batch of TVR's I don't know, they obvious haven't seen them perform (lives near TVR garage)

I think part of the problem for some of you is Ford.
Now I know this is an american company, but you need to view ford as being 1/2 brit 1/2 usa. So many of fords cars are made for europe (focus especially) so are designed for that use, that why when JC says all american cars are shiate he's not really taking fords into account and he's always admitted he like the viper beacuse it has balls.

if you want to see whats going on I surgest you get hold of this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...9323/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/202-8206893-9657434
you can see how his mind works then

(PS for all you Viper fans I belive JC's wedding car was a dodge viper.

Ruu
[/url]

ruuman said:
erm well thats a hard one, generally speaking us brit's have a lot less land than you yanks so there's less car storage space...
Grrrrr. :evil: I am not a Yank, I'm Canadian. :evil: ...... :p

ruuman said:
if you want to see whats going on I surgest you get hold of this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...9323/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/202-8206893-9657434
you can see how his mind works then
Is that book (Jeremy Clarkson's Hot 100: Cars That Make You Go Phwoar!) similar to the video 'Jeremy Clarkson - Top 100 Cars'? I've got the video, and it is quite hilarious. It seemed a bit rushed, but it was still quite good. It sounds interesting anyway. :)

sorry mate didn't know there was a difference....... :mrgreen: .....I kid i kid

Erm I think that book is an updated version of the video, I think the top ten changed a bit, but the video gives you a pretty good idea of why he likes what he likes.

That video is a bit rushed but features most of my favorite cars so I was happy anyway.

Cheers
Ruu

PS nice site zenon, like the cyberwastse painting you did looks pretty smart