Why are F1 cars open wheel?

I didn't say that all. I said that open-wheel designs can provide increased traction since there is more freedom in directing the oncoming air.

And he's saying closed wheel can do the job even better, thus making that argument not a prevailing reason why the cars are open wheeled.

I didn't say that all. I said that open-wheel designs can provide increased traction since there is more freedom in directing the oncoming air.

This is exactly where you are wrong.
Closed wheel race cars are aerodynamicly more efficient than open wheeled.

damn, you guys can have harsh discussions about things you know shit about

Well that's what i have read from multiple sources along the years.
If they could the teams would cover the wheels and the suspension.

This is exactly where you are wrong.
Closed wheel race cars are aerodynamicly more efficient than open wheeled.

They are efficient in terms of minimizing drag, yes, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm looking at the amount of usable air, the physical dimensions alone show how much more air can be captured and used over a closed wheel racer. Look at LMP1 racers for example:

348090_richard_crawford_audi_r10_tdi__porsche_rs_spyder.jpg

almsaudir10.JPG

They have channels between the monocoque frame and the wheel arches to take in airflow, why would the designers do that if they did not see an opportunity to make use of this incoming air?

In the early days of F1 open wheel was not mandatory yet it stuck as the best way to do things. There must have been a reason when the sport was so young there was no such thing as tradition. In less than 10 years nobody was competitive with close wheel designs.

Also Cpt. J if you can't express your opinion without calling names I'd recommend you take a fucking chill pill and go re-read the forum rules.

As a side note, even LeMans prototypes being the fastest closed wheel cars racing around are around the same speed than Indy cars when trimmed for the Indy 500 for example

About canopies, it goes against the rule that says the driver needs to be able to get out of the car in 5 seconds. A canopy could get stuck and make a pilot burn to death.

Last edited:
Well that's what i have read from multiple sources along the years.
If they could the teams would cover the wheels and the suspension.

Covering the wheels would probably one of the first, if not THE first thing, an engineer would do to an F1 car if the rules were open.

I think he has a point. There must be a bit of a 'bow wave' of air created by a full bodied car at high speed.

oh yea? well, its a proven fact that a Honda with stickers all over it is faster and more efficient than an F1 car but only if its a front wheel drive with a huge wing on the back and Nitro burners comming out the exhaust! explain that shit! :p

In the early days of F1 open wheel was not mandatory yet it stuck as the best way to do things. There must have been a reason when the sport was so young there was no such thing as tradition. In less than 10 years nobody was competitive with close wheel designs.

My guess is that in the old days, reducing the front cross section of the car was the pressing concern, when aerodynamics were not understood to the level they are today. Plus, they didn't have access to the composites we do today, so that extra body work would have been a significant weight addition.

These days, adding wheel covers would account for a small fraction of the car weight while undoubtedly adding to performance as already mentioned in this thread. At some point, open wheel became the rule and it has just stuck since, IMO, because it is the characteristic of F1 that separates it from other major racing championships.

I think he has a point. There must be a bit of a 'bow wave' of air created by a full bodied car at high speed.

Not until we have cars hitting sonic speeds.

At some point, open wheel became the rule and it has just stuck since, IMO, because it is the characteristic of F1 that separates it from other major racing championships.

lol, is F1 is the only form of open wheel racing you know?

LMAO

How many people are posting here for the sake of posting? We only got rudimentary knowledge of aerodynamics, bar the selected few who earn their keep in this field.

lol, is F1 is the only form of open wheel racing you know?

LMAO

I know of one major open wheel series other than F1, and that is Indy. The other big open wheeled series are feeder series for F1. I do believe my statement holds true.

I imagine Indy is also open wheeled for similar reasons to F1.

Last edited:
because it is the characteristic of F1 that separates it from other major racing championships.

lol, not all forms of open wheel series are directly related to F1.

F1 is the epitome of open wheel racing, but that doesn't mean the word "open wheel" directly equates to F1.

Hinting that "open wheel" is strictly regulated for F1 (or identified as F1), well.... all I can say is such suggestion is completely and utterly ludicrous.

Your statement implicates that F1 basically represents open wheel racing, and that all forms of open wheel racing are either F1, or F1's direct feeder series.

Seriously, do you honestly think open wheel is strictly for F1? What about LMP? Super-Karts? Hill climb? There are various different types of motorsport that share the open wheel design and regulation, but have no connection with F1 whatsoever.

Last time I watched LMS, I didn't see any open wheels. You should also pay attention to my use of "major series". I never said F1 was the end all be all, but it is the top open wheel series, and the next biggest open wheel series' feed into F1, and then there is Indy. What other open wheel series comes close to being as big as these?

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying or putting words in my mouth.