Why are we so crap at snow?

Because it's so rare people don't prepare properly and end up getting stuck out in it. I bet very few people have snow chains for their cars, I certainly don't know anyone with a set.

Round here people just hop in their chelsea tractors and think 'yeah it'll be alright!'. No-one has chains.

The point is, this sort of thing only happens once or twice a year, so why bother spending money on chains when you'll never use them. My parents have decided today (because mums work is closed) that they just aren't going to drive anywhere. Saves every kind of possible problem and accident.

Shame I'm at work today, would have loved to go for a sensible snow drive in the Landy. :D

I guess I would have spent most of my time pulling other cars out, but that's okay, I have a tow rope and a shovel.

We don't even have such things as "summer" and "winter" tyres here. We just have tyres.
I'm sure you can buy them but I don't know a single person that has ever fitted them.

I see why people are getting stuck. It has nothing to do with the snow; that sign at the end of that video has an apostrophe in it. They obviously have no idea where to go.

Better on ice. As good as unstudded everywhere else. :cool:

Yes, but it sounds like you are driving a tractor if you have studded tyres on the motorway. No point having studded tyres unless you live deep into the woods or at the top of some very steep hill.

No point having studded tyres unless you live deep into the woods or at the top of some very steep hill.

Except if you are subjected to stubid road maintenance, which adds gravel to the road maybe twice in every century. :(

nokian_hakkapeliitta_5__.jpg
FTW!

^ ooh are those studded tyres? I thought they looked more like this :

tire_stud_5.jpg

anyways, I can't use them over here anyways (illegal) so good ol winter tyres suffice for me

The reason we can't cope is because it is the worst snow in London in nearly 20 years. It would be a massive waste of money to get equipped for something that only happens once every few decades. There isn't as much trouble once you get further north because we get snow more regularly.

Oh snap, I have those KDW-2's. I bet those spikes actually give those tires the grip they don't have. <_<

Well there's also the lack on infrastructure to deal with the snow. Here we have huge "army" of snow plows and road salting machinery on standby should it snow. So when it does snow the roads are kept in deecent condition for us to drive on...

tire_stud_5.jpg

anyways, I can't use them over here anyways (illegal) so good ol winter tyres suffice for me

that's just an ordinary tire with bolts drilled through

i also have some on my ATV, to bad the nails and bolts are facing inwards though :mrgreen:

Well there's also the lack on infrastructure to deal with the snow. Here we have huge "army" of snow plows and road salting machinery on standby should it snow. So when it does snow the roads are kept in deecent condition for us to drive on...

That, +we are Finns so we have superior car control.

I really don't see any point in having snow chains if you have a halfway decent set of snow tires. I don't remember ever seeing a car with chains on.