Why dealers should like TGA

FredOZ75

Car(s)
VN Commodoor (GM Holden)
In Australia cars are not allowed to be advertised "going fast"; why we now have all these car adverts with people flying and family values.

What TGA gives the Australian car dealers is the ability to have their products on the TV going as fast as they like, sideways, with optional smoking tyres. This is something they can't get anywhere else unless they are planing on selling there cars in the UK and hoping to get on TGUK (or fifth gear).

To quote Rove... "discuss"

If you think type of cars that go sideways and smoke tyres are volume sellers, you'd be drastically mistaken

I know that the performance car isn't the "bread and butter" of any dealership.

BUT

You ain't going to develop die hard fans of a brand with a Corolla, small children are not going to have posters of a Gets on their walls, young adults will not feel "fully sick" driving around in a Yaris, men will not get a "half mongrel" watching a Astra drive past (unless driven by a "stunner")....

It's why whitegoods companies only advertise their fridge with a LCD TV in it... no one would actually buy one but it gives a good impression of the company.

You ain't going to develop die hard fans of a brand with a Corolla....
....., young adults will not feel "fully sick" driving around in a Yaris,

Yet Toyota is the #1 car manufacturer in the world based on..... what?

Sure Toyota sell the most numbers of cars to people like my mother and her mother because they make sensible well build economical cars... but if your trying to sell a V8 muscle car with ridiculously poor economy you ain't going to do it with a guy flying down the road or some feel good BS... you need your product going sideways down a road (possibly on fire)... Dealers are not allowed to advertise like that so TGA gives them that opportunity.

Also who's going to watch a review on a sensible Toyota anyway? (besides my mother)

Methinx all this will eventually result in is Corollas & Honda Jazz's with GT strips & rear spoilers.

I just like having another car show on the box, like a proper car show - well almost - without it looking strangely similar to the adverts.

wat? Theres rules about advertising cars, and they go as far to only let you show cars going slow? wat?

Yeah, sad but true

wat? Theres rules about advertising cars, and they go as far to only let you show cars going slow? wat?

Some dickhead (I think from he's from South Australia, where all these sorts of crack pot lunitics seem to come from (not saying everyone from south australia is a crackpot lunatic :p) had a winge about it. I beleive it's only related to public roads though so all they do is write "closed circuit" at the bottom because there was a porsche ad on foxtel that showed a 911 being flogged.

oh, well they do that here too, anytime a car is driving fast there's a microprint at the bottom of the screen saying something like "closed circuit-professional driver-do not attempt"

but since it's sooooo tiny, and almost every ad with "spirited" driving has it, it's unnoticeable really

I never heard of all "fast driving" ads being banned though... As we all know driving quickly doesn't kill you, it's stopping violently that does it :p

Looks like motor vehicle advertising is covered by the Voluntary Code of Practice for Motor Vehicle Advertising, which has been instituted by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries - like most codes of practice it's probably an attempt to show they can self-regulate and be seen to be being responsible and keep the government away

http://www.advertisingstandardsbureau.com.au/pages/images/FCAI_code.pdf

for those who can't be arsed reading the doc, a few extracts:

Advertisers should ensure that advertisements do not depict, encourage or condone dangerous, illegal, aggressive or reckless driving. Moreover, advertisers need to be mindful that excessive speed is a major cause of death and injury in road crashes and accordingly should avoid explicitly or implicitly drawing attention to the acceleration or speed capabilities of a vehicle.

and another relevant bit

it is noted that use of disclaimers indicating that a particular scene or advertisement was produced under controlled conditions; using expert drivers; that viewers should not attempt to emulate the driving depicted; or expressed in other similar terms, should be avoided. Such disclaimers cannot in any way be used to justify the inclusion of material which otherwise does not comply