why didn't they produce a show with tg uk

They tried it a while back, but there was a bit of a culture clash and it didn't go over well with test audiences. Don't know if what they showed was new material or not, though. I also read somewhere that another issue with the whole thing was that doing an American version would require the hosts to relocate to the US for a few months during filming, and Jeremy wasn't too keen on that.

IMO, it was for the best. I doubt any of the TG3 (even the resident secret American) would have been able to genuinely convey a proper American take on the US car culture. Besides, the TGUS3 are doing great, so I'm not even the slightest disappointed that a TG3 US version didn't happen.

stupid....

I'm pretty sure the TS was asking why they didn't do a "US vs. UK" challenge like they did with Top Gear Aus. And honestly, they should. Get an SSC and run a Veryon with it. Corvette vs. Aston, etc. Hopefully they will in Season 4.

I'm pretty sure the TS was asking why they didn't do a "US vs. UK" challenge like they did with Top Gear Aus. And honestly, they should. Get an SSC and run a Veryon with it. Corvette vs. Aston, etc. Hopefully they will in Season 4.
That's what I meant!

If it was done in the first season it would have worked. Now top gear US is challenges only. Don't get me wrong that is my favorite parts of top gear, and if top gear us can live off the challenges more power to them. But for the last 7 years I picked my cars on top gear uk. I have a Honda s2000. Thanks jezza love it. Had a MK3 Mx-5 that I got for my wife. She loved it. I also have a Honda Element. Yes its funky and great. one kid 2 Great Danes. rubber mats and a hose its clean. And my Ariel Atom** is shipping next week. Nothing is better than the car reviews.... but that is just one fat Texans view.

** i am not allowed to call it that, but it is the best description.

Last edited:
Early on, a US vs. UK episode would've been a Very Bad Thing to do. TG USA was still establishing itself. But now that they're coming into their own, and have come into their own, it would be cool.

Actually, a "TGUK vs TGUS" challenge would depend on a few things:

1. Work schedules of both production teams (remember Rut's got NASCAR broadcasts and Hammond / May have non-TG-related shows)
2. Popularity of TGUS in UK (remember it's running on BBC3)
3. Ratings performance of TGUS on History Channel (if it looks like people will watch it beyond Season 4, it's a go)
4. Exact nature of the challenge. Put another way: they can't really rehash the D-Motor / TGAus challenges, because based on past viewer feedback they'll claim that they're just repeating themselves and it's really rather boring, etc. (Look at the comments so far on Series 20. You *know* it's going to happen.)

Remember that the point, for TGAus, was to prove that the Aussio trio was "worthy enough to sully the Top Gear brand." In their own words.

And then there's the fact that the Russian and Korean franchises are probably in line before TGUS for a cross-franchise challenge.

A TGA-styple episode with the US and UK crew has been hinted at several times. I've no doubt they'll eventually do it, but it'll probably be a TGUK episode with the US hosts.

A very bad idea, it would only show how well the TG UK guys work together and how badly the 3 TG US work as a unit.

That's your opinion.

I think it would work well as a UK episode and a US episode because the UK market can have a 20-ish minute challenge that can be edited out for the US market due to our apparent love of advertising. The US show is one long road trip and the UK bunch hasn't collaborated with their counterparts on a road trip before so that's another plus in both columns. I don't think a race between them would work very well unless it was a 2-parter, and then it could be a 3-parter for the Americans with no parts omitted for us. But then, I don't know if they'd want to share 3 whole weeks with the UK crew. I'd watch, and I'm sure lots of others would as well, but I'm not sure History would play ball with that.

Like maybe a UK-type challenge where everyone has to find a car on AutoTrader/Craigslist within certain criteria and race across Europe since the US bunch never leaves the country and American law enforcement doesn't like the UK bunch too much. The trip sets off at the Top Gear UK track after introductions (presenters and cars) and maybe a challenge to set up some ridicule or cause a fault in one or more cars that they'll have to deal with all the way to Rome or Istanbul (gotta make it worth 3 weeks US, 2 weeks UK of air time). Don't set it up as a team event though. Have it a 6-way race so it'll be even more awesome when Tanner beats Clarkson and Rutledge beats May. That would be EPIC!

BTW, in case you're all confused by my episode counts, UK episodes are a full 60 minutes because the BBC doesn't do advertising like the History Channel does. Thus, Top Gear US episodes are 41 minutes (39 once all the attention deficit disorder recaps after all the commercials are removed as well).

ALSO BTW, if History doesn't like the idea, the BBC would and they could release it on DVD in both markets.