Why do YOU download music? (poll)

Why do YOU download music? (poll)

• Total voters

Reckoning

I tried a search for this first, couldn't find anything.

Why do you download music?

I'm curious to see what people do, personally I'm the last one.

Last edited:
reasons_to_download_music.jpg

I have a specific amount of money I spent on music. More I can't afford. And well i don't just download from any site and in no case share my bought stuff with any people on the Internet.

But if there are 2 tracks A and B which i like and a friend likes.... so I get A, the friend gets B and we share it i can't see anything illegal with that.

But well.. the legal mp3 download sites don't officially allow you to do that. But thats just silly. A few years back, when there were no legal mp3 download possibilities we did the same with vinyl discs...

Buy the vinyls in a record store, record them in high quality on the computer, burn them on cds.. and then mixing a djset with vinyl and cd mixers.

Back in the days no one would dare to criminalize that... but now... sick world.

Last edited:
Basically all three for me. I definitely can't afford to buy anything, and I would always want to sample a band before paying for stuff. And to be honest, even of I could afford it I'm not sure I'd pay for all of it.

lmao, This.

if its some poor indie band sure ill buy a cd (if i liked poor indie bands, which i dont)

All the big artisits make most of their money from concerts anyway. and im poor.

Though its a bit of all three, I'd say it is mostly that I can't afford it. I do still buy lots of music, as my ever increasing LP collection is evidence of this, but I still don't have enough to buy everything that I would like to.

It's pure Capitalism - the value now of 'music' is nil - so do not make any then if you do not want to give it away. Someone will want to give it away and then get people to come to see them in concert - buy physical representations - CDs and all the parafanalia. The Music industry has for far too long been playing the high margin game using non market tactics to keep music too expensive - it was 11.99GBP for a CD in the 1980s now that can not be right - cost 40p to make the thing and no artist got more than 7% (Michael Jackson) of the sale price.

Music vendors will need to figure out how to make money across borders and from digital files. My best bet is make the digital files very cheap to download with extras like changing images of the band and special privaledges like cheap tickets to concerts or better seats.

I simply can't be bothered to go out and buy it. In addition to that there's the fact that ALOT of the music I want (around 85%) isn't available where I live. Plus I'm going to digitalize it anyways and I don't want to throw away the CDs, because that's the way I am - which means they just add to the mountain of clutter I already have. I don't buy music online because... well, because I can get it for free. :/

Major labels are such epic douchebags that I really don't want to give them any money. I once decided that every time an RIAA member does something which screws over both fans and the artists that would be a CD I wouldn't buy. I've simply lost track of the number of times that has happened.

I'm generally willing to buy albums from bands on labels not with the RIAA, though those are hard to find.

I agree with everything that has been said above me.

Hm, I download my music, but legally through Amazon. Dunno, it just doesn't cost that much.

I do sometimes get tracks from friends, but I figure that's the same as if they burn me a CD.

I don't download music anymore, nor do I buy it. I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

The only CDs I've actually bought in the last few years are all Muse ones. I use Spotify to sample bands a lot, or sometimes download it. And the other main albums I've downloaded are ones that you just can't get easily (as I don't like paying for downloads, either, so iTunes is out of it) such as Anberlin and Carpark North.

Add to that everything that has been said above. And I'll try and go see a band live if I really like them.

I simply can't be bothered to go out and buy it. In addition to that there's the fact that ALOT of the music I want (around 85%) isn't available where I live. Plus I'm going to digitalize it anyways and I don't want to throw away the CDs, because that's the way I am - which means they just add to the mountain of clutter I already have. I don't buy music online because... well, because I can get it for free. :/

Yes you're right. Well I'm a (hobby) DJ and the music i need is full length unmixed tracks.

You CAN NOT buy that in a store anymore. There you can get only mix compilations etc. thats completely useless for my purposes.

Back in time, I went to a vinyl store and bought the vinyl for ~8 Euros. There were like 3 tracks on it, but i only wanted one in most cases. So basically 8 Euros for one track, really expensive.

Now there are great possibilities. I get most of my music from http://dance-tunes.com/
Depending what packet you buy, you can get one track for 1 Euro. Perfect 320kbit mp3, full length, any copyright management shit.

It's great. And thanks to Traktor Scratch you still have the great feeling of mixing with vinyl

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/i-/i-d-k/2010/01/02/Zimmer_02.jpg
(that isn't actually my equipment... i just googled for a picture)

But instead of carrying a bag with 20kg of vinyl discs one mini thumb-drive does it all.

Times were never better for purposes like that!!! For me it made a lot of positive progress in the last few years. But i still share tracks with my friends though..

Last edited:
I use this excellent little program to get my music download fix:

http://gm.mainframe.no/stuff/search.zip

It searches through music files hosted on a Russian MySpace clone and returns results which can be sorted by filesize, bitrate ect. Its a kind of viral thing, people link it to eachother through msn and stuff but it has no real support site as such, just a download link from the developer. Its updated by downloading the new version from that link or using "check for updates" on the program itself, something which has confused some of the friends I sent it to greatly :lol:

Only problem is that it can only download tracks separately, no album download feature.

Actually, a lot of hard-copy music isn't available where I live and I don't want to buy CDs anyway because I would have imported them into iTunes and threw them out anyway. I don't buy music online, because most of the music stores (iTunes, Amazon, etc) aren't available over here and the local ones have DRM-restrictions, which prevent you from transferring the songs onto an iPod. Music industry FTL.

Last edited:
What genre are you listening to? I can't complain that I don't have enough choices where to buy. (always without DRM)

I stopped downloading stuff for free long ago. I'll buy the occasional CD to support an artists (a lot of prog bands are supported by good independent labels), but I mainly use iTunes now. 256kbps AAC is enough for me and it eliminates a lot of the fuss and annoyances of waiting or trying to find a mp3 that wasn't encoded by a dipshit.

I've not downloaded anything since I got Spotify. I can't sing its praises enough.

Having said that, the music on my phone is partly downloaded (and mostly purchased), and it's just not been updated in a while.