Why do you guys like TG so much?

Simple... TG is, quite simply, better than everything else. One of three TV shows I've ever truly loved.

I've been thinking- if May is "cockface", then it stands to reason that Clarkson is "powerface".

For me, it's how similar Jeremy, Richard, and James are when compared with my friends who watch the show. The fact that they actually argue about cars in a manner that is familiar to a lot of car enthusiasts is great.

i think it's great because it's about cars (which i love) and it's made with a lot of care and it shows, it's the detail, the humour, the wit, the sound, the whole package screams "we are proud of this shit with do" and that's how i like it, that's how i like to do things too.

-manniac

ps.. you are not a piddington, you're a pAddington (but that's my guess)

Good filming (and effects), a wonderful wonderful musical backing, the way the presenters can make something that seems boreing (to non car people) very interesting......

.....Oh and the humour!

it is the last bastion of freedom (besides being a great show with top presenters and fantastic production)

I love the cool camera tricks and angles. It really shows they care about what they're doing.

I also like it because they can get away with lots of stuff that would never happen in shows here. Just the other week on Mythbusters one of the hosts couldn't do a perfectly organized Hollywood-style stunt jump because the insurance company wouldn't let him. :roll: Just look at all the stunts they've done on TG, Richard especially!

The variety is good too. It's not just reviewing car after car. The cheap challenges, 'epic' races, small races to demonstrate a car, construction attempts, ect. really round out the show. There's an element of the unexpected; you never know what's going to happen in the next episode.

The cinematography is simply amazing. Comparing Top Gear and even Final Gear quality to the (lack of) quality of American shows such as Car & Driver, the american shows can't match up at all. The interplay between the hosts is great and they talk like real car guys not paid actors who are trying to advertise a car

- It doesn't have adverts :lol:

Well, have you seen the latest Fifth Gear?

Blind_Io said:
Well, have you seen the latest Fifth Gear?

Unfortunately, yes I have.

It's just the whole thing as a package. It's that pokey motoring show on the BBC, but it's got amazing directing, and it's just sooo funny and entertaining.

I like TG for all the reasons above.
And mostly, because it turns a man into a kid.

Im not sure if this happens to you, but do you guys remember the episode where JC tested out the newest M5? Well there was this one part, where hes driving that in the countryside. And the music in the background (i think it was Brian Eno - The ending) always gives me the weirdest feeling. Like shivers going up my spine when i hear the M5 revving. And its not the only scene where that happens. Theres another recent episode that gives me the most coolest / weirdest feeling (im not getting horny or anything lol). Im not sure if that happens to you guys or not, but my point is that is one of the major reasons i love this show. No other show could make you feel so attached to the car, make you feel like your actually the one driving it.

Its just brilliant... and on that bombshell i gotta go

-Mojo-

Jamesd said:
It's just the whole thing as a package. It's that pokey motoring show on the BBC, but it's got amazing directing, and it's just sooo funny and entertaining.

I agree. I first downloaded clips of the show off Kazaa, or some program like that, years ago and I was just amazed: The production values (camera work, music, editing), the wit of the presenters and their love of cars. In the US, car shows suck. The people spout numbers and specs and the you see a shot of the car drive past the camera. That's it! Straight forward and boring, not to mention every show's biased love of American cars (I hate American cars).

But in those clips (all were BMW clips), I saw something amazing. And since then, I've downloaded every episode of the new series (35 gigs).

I think most Americans would feel this way. The difference in how Europeans see driving and how the average American views it is completely different, and for me, it's refreshing to know that there are whole cultures who agree with me. It's nice.

So I guess I like the view point/stance/soul of the show.

• The cinematography in the segments is nothing short of art.
  • The music selection is really, really great
  • The challenges are creative and fun. I mean, who hasn't wondered if you could make a Carboat?
  • Fast and exciting cars, even though you'll probably never touch, let alone own, any of them
  • The presenters are funny, and you can just tell they're having fun
  • They have an opinion (one that I might disagree with, but there's nothing wrong with that)
When watching Top Gear you just see and feel all the work that they have poured into it. As Clarkson recently said, the Ratio in Top Gear is 250 Minutes of work for 1 Minute you actually see on the screen. And it just shows.

PS: First time poster, hello to all!

For me it is the atmosphere in which they present and that they actually give you a first hand glimps of the car. too many shows just have a guy talking about the statistics of the car that he read on the automakers website... TG is a whole different approuch.