• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Why does the GT get such bad gas mileage?

Raven18940

I'm not sure whether they were just exaggerating things, but why did the GT seem to use so much more fuel? I mean it's aerodynamic-ish, not all that heavy (though no lightweight), and it has insanely tall gears (you can do 60 in 1st). I just don't get it.

it weighs 3500 lbs i think, and has a V8 with 550 hp, that by itself isnt the general formula for a fuel efficient car.

i think the driver just feels inclined to give more throttle than neccessary. for personal reasons 8)

I think it's partially due to its use of a supercharger, which is belt-driven and hell for the efficiency of an engine. Also believe that the GT has a rather small fuel tank. Of course, they could be exaggerating.

3Colin said:
I think it's partially due to its use of a supercharger, which is belt-driven and hell for the efficiency of an engine. Also believe that the GT has a rather small fuel tank. Of course, they could be exaggerating.

I think its the supercharger as well... a supercharger is known to drink more than a turbo charger and obviously a Naturally Aspirated car... mainly because for a turbo, it takes time for the boost to kick in (boost = more fuel burnt) whereas the supercharger has zero lag where everytime you give a little throttle... your supercharger is giving boost

But the Zonda had 7.3L and all a supercharger is is artifical displacement. I'm starting to think it was mostly written into the script. <_<

BerserkerCatSplat said:
They measured the gas milage while Jeremy was flogging the hell out of it around the track, which caused the poor gas mileage.

The GT actually gets 13 MPG city and 21MPG highway.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20475.shtml

About the same as my ML55, I think they were exagurating.. my ML has a 5.4 liter 342 horse, and it doesnt drink that much, neither do the supercharged SL55's with the 469 hp 5.4 liter supercharged v8's.

Militant-Grunt said:
About the same as my ML55

Did 'Ol Dad finally give it to you?

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

Raven18940 said:
But the Zonda had 7.3L and all a supercharger is is artifical displacement. I'm starting to think it was mostly written into the script. <_<
in "normal" driving the zonda may get better fuel economy, but the F430 gets the best of the bunch. the GT has been known to have a large range of different amount of mpg. people have reported as high as 20 and as low as 9 on a day to day basis. :?

I'm just thinking that since they took that same engine off a pick-up truck, it'll probably have the fuel efficiency of a pick-up truck. Besides, Fords (big and heavy Fords, mind you) get really crappy mileage, especially in a big city (ie. Ford Crown-Victoria gets about 9 MPG in the city)

That is true, Ford's just get crappy mileage, I had forgotten that. :lol:

The GT has a 17.5 gallon tank which is pretty small. The F430 has a 20 gallon tank, so combined with better mpg, it will have a much longer range. Although, I doubt that the Zonda has much more range than the GT. They were clearly playing up the 3-4 mpg the GT got on the Top Gear track last season.

Because it would be un-American to make it as fuel-efficient as possible, so they didn't.

and isn't it also 3V/cylinder? what doesn't help either

or was that the corvette?

I think this has far more to do with the size of the GT's tank than the fuel economy. If you remember they discussed the range when Jeremy announced he had bought the car. And they said he couldn't drive from his house to the TG Studio on one tank.

Plus, the GT might have had to reful first, but you can bet the other two filled thier cars at the same time.

Still, it is the heaviest car, with the most hungry engine.

Americans don't eat sensibly, thus the Ford GT shouldn't "drink" gas sensibly. Any other way would be un-American.

There's your answer, case closed!

bone said:
and isn't it also 3V/cylinder? what doesn't help either

or was that the corvette?

thats new mustang, GT is DOHC 4v/cyl