• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Why doesnt Audi take part in the FIA WRC.

Militant-Grunt

Car(s)
Audi S6 2.2T
I mean cmon, they came up with quattro. Back in the 80s the audi quattro dominated the hell out of WRC. So what happened?

Same reason that Toyota doesn't. Audi don't believe they have the kind of market that either watches the WRC or would be influenced into buying an audi by the publicity gained. Well that's my theory anyway, at the end of the day the WRC is just a big marketing campaign.

WRC is such an expensive sport for maufactures to sport and a lot of the money they put into the sport, doesnt seem to come back in any form in the future...its mainly the reason why Citroen is getting outa it

VW has decided (in all their wisdom) that the only VAG manufacturer in the WRC will be Skoda (this is why they pulled Seat from the series...)

Audi pulles out after the disatser that was Groupe B.. they belive thet Rally is to dangerus..

PS: Audi didnt really dominate rally in the 80`s.. yes they won in 83 (and 84 if i remember) but they where dominated by others in 85 and 86 (what little the ran)
and there problems started mid 85.. infact.. they only won in 85 due to that there main competision had a acsident at the wrong time :p

Its a shame really, I'd have loved to see what the Citroen C4 would have looked like as a rally car!

Stupid CEO's and their precious power and money. What about the rest of us? :(

Kebab gud said:
Audi pulles out after the disatser that was Groupe B.. they belive thet Rally is to dangerus..

PS: Audi didnt really dominate rally in the 80`s.. yes they won in 83 (and 84 if i remember) but they where dominated by others in 85 and 86 (what little the ran)
and there problems started mid 85.. infact.. they only won in 85 due to that there main competision had a acsident at the wrong time :p
Yes, but from 85-87, Audi dominated the Pikes Peak climb, setting the world record in 1987. The S1 Quattro is still undefeated for front-engine cars, and probably will remain so for a LONG time.

And as for the accident...they still won, didn't they?

Audi was very successfull in touring car racing in the 90s, they won just about every series in europe with the A4 Quattro. This year they won the Le Mans 24 hours for the 5th time. (2000, 01, 02, 04, 05).

Now they are not in the WRC because, as someone mentioned before, they believe it is not the right marketing tool for them, plus it is very expensive.

But I do think that there is a lot of Audi owners that follow the WRC, and a lot of people would probably buy a Audi WRC "replica", but I don't think it would be worth the investment.