Why don't they look at older cars anymore

Mr-Stabby

I've been watching the 2003 season again, and i completely forgot that they often looked at old cars, like James' Bentley, the Lamborghini Muira, the BMW M series, Mk2 Jaguar, Rover P5 all them.

I really think they should do more of those, i liked those bits.

I also liked the minority groups they used to get to race round the track.

To be honest i think the 2003 season was the best. It had the right combination of new cars, old cars and fun stuff.

In my opinion they don't even need to do really old cars, they could do "future classics" like they did with the VW Corrado and the Merc Evo. I'd love to seem them looking at the Lancia Delta Integrale (i know Quentin already did it some years ago), the Fiat Coupe, the Honda CRX, the Volvo 480 Turbo. You get the point...

There was the Maserati Bora in Series 7, and although nothing's happened there was a stream of potential classics in Restoration Rip Off.

Well they're hardly looking at some of the newer cars that are available these days so I don't think they'll do much in the way of old cars. Maybe in another one of those cheap car challanges perhaps?

what i'd love to see is james reviewing the ferrari boxer. he hated the countach, loved the bora, so what about the obvious choice?

Maybe it's harder to get ahold of older cars to test them? I'm sure companies love to loan out their cars to use as advertising. Does anyone know if carmakers pay the BBC to be featured on the show? I really do like when they look at the older cars.

araracd said:
In my opinion they don't even need to do really old cars, they could do "future classics" like they did with the VW Corrado and the Merc Evo.

Yes! That would be awesome!

I was trying to figure out what was lacking in series 8 ... and, yes, it was those lovely retrospective films about old cars. About the closest we got was Jezza's piece on the Citroen C6.

James does them so well, and surely there's still dozens of interesting older cars that could do with the TG treatment.

Sure, some have already been well documented elsewhere (such as the original VW Beetle and the Citroen 2CV), however it would be lovely to see Captain Slow doing what he does best - driving slowly and waxing lyrical about the origins of a particular vehicle and what sort of influence it's had in the automotive world.

To be honest, I'm surprised that TG hasn't done a decent retro piece on Alfa Romeo yet. They have produced some sensational cars over the years, and Jezza obviously has a soft spot for them.

its occured to mre recently that I'd love to see a Top Gear review of the Supra. I'm wondering what Jeremy would think of it. Its a heavy brute of a car, a proper japanese muscle car. He loves the Skyline, which is weird, since its all full of computers that sort everything out for you, when usually he likes simpler, scarier, harder to live with stuff.

Not that its hardly old, but more of a modern classic.

Toyota is supposed to be updating the supra for sometime in 2008. Maybe we'll get something then.

Did the Supra ever come to britain? Might be a reason why they never reviewed it?

Let's just hope he won't be to hung up in the fact that it starred in F&F. :p

KaJuN said:
Maybe it's harder to get ahold of older cars to test them? I'm sure companies love to loan out their cars to use as advertising. Does anyone know if carmakers pay the BBC to be featured on the show? I really do like when they look at the older cars.

I don't think getting hold of a car is that much of a problem for them - in the past reviews they didn't burn them on the track, and having your car covered in a TV show that's watched by 250 Mio. people all over the world would enable them to get nearly every car imaginable.

I just was thinking about the classic reviews two weeks ago and missing them as well as they were both informative and entertaining. So, if anybody in charge is seeing this, that'd be my wish for the next series. :)