Why driving in the US is better than at home (Australia)

The suggestion to adopt the turn right on red signals was brought up in the parliament very recently here but it was dismissed as it was argued that the system with separate green arrows already fulfilled that function. Does US 4-way intersections usually run on ground sensors or timers? If timers I can see the appeal of not having to wait when there's obviously no-one coming your way.

Why driving in the US is better than at home (Australia)

The stop lights around here use both to determine if turn arrows are needed and how long they need to be on. There's one intersection that will stop on way of traffic to let the people in the left turn lanes go.

At night the lights go from sensors and timers to sensors only. You roll to the line, lights change right away.

You will love it when you get back, Victoria now has these which can catch someone using their phone or not wearing a seatbelt from 700m away.

10255650_654941311244675_3019350537441235634_o.jpg

Good. Anyone not wearing a seatbelt or using their phones deserves the book. Driving home has been fine the past few weeks, having a branded work car does wonders to the sensibility of this driver.

Unless I'm confusing a "turn left at anyone with care:, we can do this in Adelaide. Then again, these are dedicated slip lanes and not simply turning at a standard intersection - which would be handy with no traffic around...

Yep, turning at a standard intersection. Funny you mention it now, didn't see a single right turn slip lane, probably due to the law.

Last edited:
Yep, turning at a standard intersection. Funny you mention it now, didn't see a single right turn slip lane, probably due to the law.

They do exist, but mostly in *very* high traffic areas where you get long tailbacks in the right lane otherwise.

I spent two weeks in CA, and here's a driving trip I did with photos. I didn't get a minivan, though.

http://hooniverse.com/2014/06/09/cruisin-usa-pacific-coast-highway-in-a-2014-dodge-challenger-rt/

Speed limits were certainly interesting, with the oftentimes sheer disregard to them. And yeah, not a lot of speed cameras anywhere, so cruising was relaxed. Four-way stops were just kinda slowing down for cautiousness, and turning right on red was a wonder. "Am I really allowed to do this? Even now? Here, too?"

Bad stuff: LA traffic when it's busy, even if I learned to take my time. The 405. Street cleaning days where you have to scramble for a parking space somewhere. Lack of indicating.

The ultimate best thing, along with the scenery? CHEAP GAS

Good writeup!

I quite enjoyed reading it too. Didn't help the fact that I'd love to go on a trip like that some day. But it's unlikely. :D

I spent two weeks in CA, and here's a driving trip I did with photos. I didn't get a minivan, though.

http://hooniverse.com/2014/06/09/cruisin-usa-pacific-coast-highway-in-a-2014-dodge-challenger-rt/

Speed limits were certainly interesting, with the oftentimes sheer disregard to them. And yeah, not a lot of speed cameras anywhere, so cruising was relaxed. Four-way stops were just kinda slowing down for cautiousness, and turning right on red was a wonder. "Am I really allowed to do this? Even now? Here, too?"

Bad stuff: LA traffic when it's busy, even if I learned to take my time. The 405. Street cleaning days where you have to scramble for a parking space somewhere. Lack of indicating.

Nice write up. :)

I enjoyed the write-up. And glad to see you got to drive a really great car. I love the Challenger.

Last edited: