Why I'm no longer going to watch Top Gear

I can't think of any show that's lasted 10 years without going downhill. Why is anyone surprised by its decline?

It's still decent television. Look at it this way: It could be Honey Boo Boo.

No, any bad episode of Top Gear is better than being reduced to watching Honey Boo Boo...

As for the show going down hill, I would agree that after 10 years that it would be difficult to come up with new ideas for the show. I would however also add that they now have the live show as well to plan and perform. They probably don't have as much time available to plan and film the tv show as they would like. I would be happier if they were to drop the stage show if it gave them more time to concentrate on the tv.

No, any bad episode of Top Gear is better than being reduced to watching Honey Boo Boo...

Being hit on the face with a frying pan is better than Honey Boo Boo...

Believe me, I tried watching part of an episode :cry:

I would be happier if they were to drop the stage show if it gave them more time to concentrate on the tv.

I dare say you're right. But I suppose that the live show is where the real money is.

Am I the only one who does not think the show has gone downhill? It has changed and they have tried some things that didn't work, but I like they are willing to try new things. I even like most of the running jokes. It almost feels like family I am so familiar with it.

Maybe the things that entertains me is different than a lot of people because I still find TG an enjoyable hour of television. I even enjoy it when it is not brilliant. But then, I do not compare it to other shows like last week, last month or last year. I watch and enjoy the show that is presented to me. There are some shows that are favorites and I watch them during the off season. I think I could watch the race to Verbie (sp?) every day and still enjoy it. Sometimes it seems like I have to grow into a show. I didn't really like the India one and didn't watch it again until I got the DVD in. Now it ranks up with the other specials for me.

Maybe I am just old and look at things differently. I know on a cruise board I am on we are having an argument because most of the people are calling every change the cruise line makes a cut back. I don't see them as cut backs but changes that are made. Yeah they no longer do this, but now they do this this and this instead so I don't see the first thing as a cut back just a change. But I am being ganged up on and basically being called to stupid to realize what a cut back is. Oh well, I am still going to cruise and I am still going to watch TG.

I still enjoy the show tremendously, even when it's one of their lesser episodes.

For me the biggest disappointment is just how far away from being a real car show it has become. I remember becoming a fan of TopGear when I started watching their car reviews on YouTube and being amazed at how brutally honest they were being. I'd never seen a car review where the driver/reviewer would bash and insult the car for it's flaws like that. It made me respect the show quite a bit and take their opinions a bit more seriously than other car shows. Nowadays the show seems to be about cheap car challenges where they do nothing but destroy and ruin cars. I want to see the boys taking the 3 newest convertibles to Iceland and having a serious discussion over a pint about which is best, without a bunch of staged "accidents" and caricatures and garbage. IMO, TopGear does their best work when they have no money and no time to prepare.

I still enjoy watching the show, please don't get me wrong. Even the ones that are not as brilliant as the others.

What I don't like watching are 3 guys who are knowledgeable about cars acting in a way that is buffoonish and unreasonable. That was what pissed me off most about the India special and some of the more recent challenges. It was just too much stupidity. They are more clever than that. A little comedy is fine, but only if it looks natural.

I get that they want to move more towards entertainment. I just hope the cars can remain a part of the bigger picture.

It has not gone down hill it has just changed - some like that some do not - I'll keep watching as it is 'mucho entertainmento' anyway. What else are you going to do on a Sunday evening, watch ITV?

Talking of ITV big up Foyles war when he is in the Secret Service - a Cobol74 recommendation. Now sadly finished its 3 show run.

Last edited:
Hello.

Before I say what I have to say I want you to know a little bit about myself, for better understanding of the following.
I live in Israel and I am 17 years old. One day when I was about 11, I was at my uncle's house for dinner with my whole family. before dinner we were watching TV and when we wanted to switch a channel my older brother saw that Top Gear was on, so that was the first time I saw it, and I loved it. Since then I liked Top Gear. I have started to watch it regularly. I liked the cars, the jokes, the editing, it all was so impressive. I felt I learned about cars. I even watched it on BBC Prime, while understanding pretty much half of the show (being a kid, unlike now that I know English very well), but I did not care. I was mesmerized. All of the cars, how funny were The News this time, maybe a stunt or an item. At that time I developed my passion for cars and for the show. since then I stuck to it.

For me, the best era of Top Gear is somewhere between the fourth season the the ninth. Why? Because, I watched all of Top Gear's episodes, even season one, and this era was the most balanced between cars, entertainment, and special things. At first we had the first three seasons, which are pretty good but the show needed time to "get slick". Then we had the era I am talking about: in many episodes you had items talking about cars and actually tell us about them, and the "lighter side" of jokes and funny items such as remote controlled full-size cars. And you had the races going across Europe and stunts like a rocketed Mini. After that series ten to fifteen came and were not the same. Sure there were more amazing things and funny stuff too but you could have sensed then that the cars were a bit aside, but still not too bad. After that it was noticeable. The show was more about entertainment then on cars. You have caravan-made trains and rocket-man vs. a Rally car. Funny and all but where are the cars for real? On the second and third episodes of series seventeen the show was actually about cars, as the presenters said. I was happy because it reminded me the era I like, but then Jeremy said "normal service will resume". That was a bummer. since then we see "sensible car tests", very unfunny jokes, set-ups and that trick of showing exotic cars and pretend that is a car show. The news are rubbish: the presenters do not tell you anything but outrageous theories and unfunny bits where Clarkson humiliate himself and everybody laugh at each other. It really peaked on Africa special, I was disappointed to see how every time the presenters steal each other's stuff as a joke, Hammond afraid of insects and Jeremy being the orangutan. Also on regular episodes when they make fun of James and breaking stuff all of the time. I am still a big fan of the show, downloading all of the show's episodes (please do not blame me for it, lets see you wait 7-8 months from it original airing for badly translated cut episode), talking about it a lot, even having a school project about the show and get an A. I laugh and enjoy and sometimes I actually learn about cars. But I do miss the era where we had balance between entertainment and cars. I am aware that times has changed and all of that but I still do not feel the same passion for cars from the presenters. I feel the cars are no longer the main thing in the show.

My friend, which is a beginner racing driver at Formula BMW Academy by the way, has told me that Top Gear is funny and everything but if I really want to know more about cars I should watch Fifth Gear. Fifth Gear! I mocked it for years (and not only me, and for some good reasons) and now it is considered to be more about cars then Top Gear. (I do not wish to start an argument about which is better, or what I heard about Fifth Gear starting to be less about cars, it is just to symbolize the things).

I want to finish with a little story. I was watching Top Gear Top 40 with my older brother (older then the one I was telling you about earlier), and we discussed about the show. He said how funny they are, watching the stretched limos and how Jeremy asking James if he have not seen the Great Escape (epic moment), and me replying he has not seen the half of it due to editing. He said to me that the show would not be the same if one of the presenters would leave to show. I think it was true in the past and it is true right now also. Difference is, today it is true because of the wrong reasons...

I do believe that the presenters still have passion for cars and that after all the new seasons are not so bad (they are very good comparing it to any other show but not so good while comparing it to the good era of Top Gear). It is still a good show, it just forgot what it is all about.

Thank you for your time, and remember that I am a big fan of Top Gear still.

Last edited:
Top Gear is still one of the most entertaining shows in the world, imo.

Like Skylock said: it's like a family.
Sometime family do things to disappoint you, but you still love them anyways.

What I find most fascinating about this thread is the amount of hate and energy we are wasting in it instead of for example... write our opinions on
"Why I love Season 19"

Otherwise, Thanks to the OP to share his views. Now I'm gonna watch Season 19 again just for fun, and hang out with my 3 imaginary best friends.

while i do agree tg uk was 'better' before, that doesnt mean its crap or not entertaining these days.

ill watch it till they cant drive anymore.

hell i may watch it after one or all three retire(of old age hopefully)

go tg!

ps bring back tg aus pretty please
ps2 do competitions/events with all the hosts across all tg's(us,aus,kor,etc..)

What I find most fascinating about this thread is the amount of hate and energy we are wasting in it instead of for example... write our opinions on
"Why I love Season 19" <snip>

OK then, I'll give it a go. "Why I Love Season 19" by GerFix:

I love season 19 because it was shit, scripted by bogans and phoned in by presenters who don't care with the sole intention of supporting the marketing of tat. The End.

If I might just chime in quickly.
I can see where the OP is coming from.
I started watching the show around Series 10/11. Like others have said, that sense of excitement when a new episode comes out has kind of waned with the last few series. And now I have found that even my mum is more excited to see the latest episode than I am. And that's fine, they are aiming for a wider audience. That's fair enough. Just keep showing me the cars I love and leave me with a smile on my face and I'll continue to watch.

Last edited:
I remember a couple of years back an episode of TG pretty much the only thing that would have the whole family in the same room for longer than 5mins without an argument breaking out. :lol: The call of "Top Gear is starting" would go out and everybody would rush to the living room to watch on the big TV without fail.

Now I tend to watch it on the iPlayer whenever I can be arsed and this last season I completely forgot it was airing and watched every episode long after original broadcast. Dad sometimes watches it if remembers, it's a far cry from the essential viewing it was previously. I find the jokes and scripted events inspire more eye-rolling and "saw that coming" than laughter, last eps I REALLY enjoyed were the Vietnam and Bolivia specials. When I think "I want to watch Top Gear" I'll go back and watch older segments, the ?1500 car challenges, motorhome racing, amphibious vehicles, the older specials, etc.

Sometimes they get the formula right, like taking the cars across the river by raft in the Africa special, but the Scorpio falling in behind them and the slow turn and false laughter just caused me to facepalm.

Top Gear is like McDonalds; it is consistent and has something for everyone.

It's up to whoever reads this to interpret the above sentence as they wish. As much as some want to look to the past with rose colored glasses, Top Gear has been this way since the fall of 2002.

Last edited:
Top Gear is like McDonalds; it is consistent and has something for everyone.

I'll accept this analogy only if Top Gear bases itself in Oakbrook and starts making impossible demands of its suppliers.

I think the OP is a little bit upset that Top Gear might have a different opinion on stuff related to cars than he has.

I think anyone who has watched more than one episode of Top Gear would regard it more of a lifestyle show than a car show. It?s not about the cars or what they do, but more how they make you feel, which can be very subjective.

The Africa double was on-par with everything else they have done. They pick a location with certain qualities, & some cars less suitable, film hi-jinx, then edit to 1 hour.

All that other stuff he mentions, like less track days & other stuff seems like the opposite. Sure speed & traffic is far more regulated everywhere, but getting your hands on something exotic & taking it to a race track is easier today than any other time in human history, regardless of where you live ? Even if you are a camel herder in the Middle East you have relatively easy access to racetracks nearby.

I reckon anyone who thinks they can do better just should.