Why is the Mustang so popular?

zeoniks

Car(s)
2007 Nissan Murano
Every other car I see in New York City is a Mustang. I'm getting so sick of seeing it every day. I really like this car, but it's such a common sight on the streets that it's like a normal, commuter car.

Uhm the question is kinda pointless, isn't it?

It's cheap, good-looking, has a V8 with decent power and cool. What reason is there not to get one?

I would disagree with the good looking bit. But the world would be boring if everyone liked the same things.

People buy them bcoz they're ruddy cheap. For the same price as a Japanese box, would you rather have a stylish coupe? A lot of people do.

That being said, I'm happy with Japanese box. It's got more snort under the hood than the basic Mustang and it's built from proper materials.

Un-Dee said:
Uhm the question is kinda pointless, isn't it?

It's cheap, good-looking, has a V8 with decent power and cool. What reason is there not to get one?

its rubbish?

^ Ditto... Goes well in a straight line, so its good for americans. ;)

mancs said:
^ Ditto... Goes well in a straight line, so its good for americans. ;)

have you seen how the new one is so dumb? big ol bucket of jelly

and even the v8 one, you start it up and you can barely hear the engine, its sooooooo dissapointing. its supposed to be a MUSTANG, not a damn corrola for fucks sake

what were they thinking? the people who made it said the live axle was for those who wanted to stay old school, ok sure, but why not stay old school with most others things too. the way they did it is, you get the WORST of both worlds. the numbness of new cars and the shitty handling of older ones

sigh, dumbasses

The sad thing is they have been selling between 600,000 and 800,000 a year, but most buyers get the wimpy v6. Which isn't saying much since their stock v8 is almost as wimpy.

I like the looks of it myself if it was smaller and weighed 1000 pounds less. The first car I owned was a 79 mustang that was a big rust bucket that I bought for $500, but I didn't buy it because it was a 'Mustang' I got it because it ran and the parts for it were dirt cheap. My only other need for my first car was that it only had 2 doors.

I love Mustangs and their simplicity. It is the spirit of America. Why do we Europeans like the VW Golf? For the same reasons - it's fairly cheap, runs well and is reliable most of the time.
While we are on the subject of Mustangs. I am really disapointed with the new Shelby GT 500. It was supposed to be fast not only in a straight line, but Caroll Shelby who may be an icon is an idiot. He said that using independant rear suspension will increase the price with 5000usd. Who cares? I would pay 5000 more for such a thing. Live axle may be ok in normal Mustangs since they are cruisers, but this is supposed to be a sports car. And that heavy cast-iron V8 it makes the wight distrubution appaling. I would still buy the car if I have the money but I will definately look for someone who could do something to the rear suspension.

The live axle was kept to satisfy the thousands of Mustang owners that drag race, because the live axle is more durable and can handle heavier loads better than the IRS. While an IRS option for 5k more would be appealing, Ford didn't want to alienate their loyal, rabid fanbase who race 'Stangs on dragstrips all over the country, because that would have been suicidal. Would you take a Golf (unmodified, of course; you can do anything with enough mods) drag racing? Horses for courses.

Also, there are so many Mustangs because its appeal is universal. Secretaries and housewives can buy the V6 version because they look good in it, jocks can buy the V8 version to pick up chicks and annoy people at stoplights, and slightly more rich people can buy the GT500 because it's freaking fast. Not many cars have appealed to such a broad group for 40+ years. Let's hope the new Camaro can do the same.

its rubbish, its cheap... and its american..

thats why we dont get mustangs here

MadCow809 said:
its rubbish, its cheap... and its american..
thats why we dont get mustangs here

zenkidori said:
I wonder just how many of you have actually gone out and driven one. Most of you are full of shit.
:wall: :roll:

I went out and drove a Bugatti Veyron the other day. It was rubbish. And it was European, too, which meant it is the worst car ever made. And it smelled like cheese.