Why is the Mustang so popular?

zenkidori said:
I wonder just how many of you have actually gone out and driven one. Most of you are full of shit.

Truth. Welcome to the internet, the cesspool of people talking shit about things they don't actually know anything about.

my best friend has the ugly ass 4 eyed fox body mustang. its an 86 and is the the cleanest original car over 10 years old ive ever seen. its got a few mods and made 340 whp on a mustang dyno and i have driven it. of course, it doesnt corner bc if you even touch the throttle, the ass kicks out(forgot to mention but fox bodies are pretty light) which is fun but its not a controlable slide, its way to easy to spin. but, he doersnt act like the normal mustang owner like his car is hot shit. he knows it only goes in a straight line and knows its shitty round corners(hes driven my 240 as well) so i guess for him, its the perfect car.

llpc60 said:
mancs said:
^ Ditto... Goes well in a straight line, so its good for americans. ;)

have you seen how the new one is so dumb? big ol bucket of jelly

and even the v8 one, you start it up and you can barely hear the engine, its sooooooo dissapointing. its supposed to be a MUSTANG, not a damn corrola for fucks sake

what were they thinking? the people who made it said the live axle was for those who wanted to stay old school, ok sure, but why not stay old school with most others things too. the way they did it is, you get the WORST of both worlds. the numbness of new cars and the shitty handling of older ones

sigh, dumbasses

Yeah.... That may be right (worst of both worlds). I loved the old mustangs, but only the look, and sound of it. To bad it could never go fast in a corner :( . But it looks really badass, and i think thats the ONLY point of american muscle cars. This new one is ugly. Or.. well not ugly but its sure not as nice as the old ones. I only seen one so far, and the sound wasnt that bad, but true... Old mustang still rocks ;) .

BlaRo said:
I went out and drove a Bugatti Veyron the other day. It was rubbish. And it was European, too, which meant it is the worst car ever made. And it smelled like cheese.
:lol:

Mustangs can't be loud from the factory anymore, there are various noise and emissions regs for this, so it's not exactly ford's fault. You can, however, buy a different exhaust from the factory or one of the million different aftermarket companies that make it scream.

Mustangs can't corner? Check out trans-am racing, the American Iron series, any US drifting series or go to a time attack. The last time attack I went to had a good number of mustangs, camaros and vettes ripping it up, even beating european and japanese cars.

Most of you are probably too young to even drive, and if you're not, have never even sat in a mustang let alone driven one in anger. It's just the cool thing for you to regurgitate whatever you read or see on TV and pass judgement on something you have no idea about.

the mustang does what it does. It's potential for modification is huge, and it appeals to a very wide range of people, that's why you see them all over the place. You can go cheap or go big, either way there is something to satisfy most people.

A big point for me is that it's cheap and RWD. I prefer my RX-7 to almost any other car, but I damn sure wouldn't mind if someone gave me a mustang, or if my girlfriend got one or something.

P.S. anyone who drives a FWD commuter car has no room to talk about anything.

i guarentee the number you see there pales in comparison to the number i see here everyday.

Think about what the Mustang has going for it, you get a 4.6L V8 with 300hp and 320 ft-lbs of torque for a base price of $25K USD, if you just like the looks you can get the V6 for under $20K, there is convertible versions of both the V6 and the V8 available for a few grand more than the coupe, for something that cheap it does look quite good and sound quite good too for that matter.

As for how it drives, i know for a fact that it is very quick for the money that you are spending, handling i hear is not its strong point by far but it really doesnt matter to the people that like the Mustang. And it is a muscle-car afterall. And if you've got some more cash to spend and want some more power, you can pick up the 500hp SVT Cobra for $42K.

The interior is all plastic and metal-ish surfaces, however the layout isnt as boring as, lets say, a Malibu. You do get a decent amount of equipment as well. Its not all bad looking inside either, the dials for instance look very retro and cool, you can even change the colors of them!
http://img154.imageshack.**/img154/9286/05mustangdialsgreendf9.jpg

honestly? the retro styling attracted aging male baby-boomers, to whom a $25k price tag is nothing. so now, at 55, they have the car they dreamed about at 17 back in the '60s.

the two people i know who have bought one fit this precise category.

Makes sense, sandor.

I wasn't attacking the Mustangs. I was just wondering why there are so many out there. I think what this car needs is a little bit more exclusivity to make it just a bit more special. There's just so, so, so many of them...

BerserkerCatSplat said:
zenkidori said:
I wonder just how many of you have actually gone out and driven one. Most of you are full of shit.

Truth. Welcome to the internet, the cesspool of people talking shit about things they don't actually know anything about.

+1 What you said.

zeoniks said:
Makes sense, sandor.

I wasn't attacking the Mustangs. I was just wondering why there are so many out there. I think what this car needs is a little bit more exclusivity to make it just a bit more special. There's just so, so, so many of them...

agreed. the one guy i know with one is hoping to be able to dump it for one of the shelby/boss/whatever special edition's they are having. partially nostalgia, partially he is tired of having "one of many" and will pay quite a bit more for a limited edition....

llpc60 said:
even the v8 one, you start it up and you can barely hear the engine, its sooooooo dissapointing. its supposed to be a MUSTANG, not a damn corrola for fucks sake

"It's a Secretaries car" - Caroll Shelby. Not a muscle car. Always was, always will be. Proof is the old and new GT-500's. The new one is hardly any faster than the GT even with 200hp more. The original GT-500 had little to do with Shelby other than his name, some (ugly) useless scoops, and a big engine. The only good mustangs are modded or the GT-350. *

* I've always bashed Fords. I'm a bit of a Chevy guy, atleast when it comes to American cars.

zenkidori said:
P.S. anyone who drives a FWD commuter car has no room to talk about anything.

So because I'd rather drive the 2200miles a month I put on a car in something that gets 35mpg and 87, rather than a T2 that runs on high octane and gets 22 at best, I can't have an opinion about cars?

VUK said:
image price looks

Ding ding ding...we've got the winner over here.

Its fulfilling the Mustang's original idea to sell the public a semi-decently powered car in an attractable package for a low price.

The looks of the Mustang are growing on me. I think they look great either black or white; lower it properly, do the suspension right, sticky tires, lightweight wheels, let the engine breathe a bit better and you got a great all around car.

And I see inklings of the live axle vs. IRS creeping in. No matter the axle in the rear, or the suspension in front, it all comes down to geometry and if the rear end has an LSD in it.

jayhawk said:
And I see inklings of the live axle vs. IRS creeping in. No matter the axle in the rear, or the suspension in front, it all comes down to geometry and if the rear end has an LSD in it.

On a smooth track (any type), solid axles aren't a disadvantage, especially if setup right.

Jag engineers refused to go Independent on their race cars for quite a while, feeling that had no advantage. The simple fact that Camaro's can whip quite a bit of ass on the tracks proves this.

On a street car where ride and handling matter a properly setup IRS will be superior over an equally setup solid axle.

I'm not really not sure what I'm talking about, but doesn't a live axle affect the ride-quality more than handling?

Oh crap. I feel a :lock: coming up

thedguy said:
The new one is hardly any faster than the GT even with 200hp more. The original GT-500 had little to do with Shelby other than his name, some (ugly) useless scoops, and a big engine. The only good mustangs are modded or the GT-350.

chinese1.jpg

zeoniks said:
I'm not really not sure what I'm talking about, but doesn't a live axle affect the ride-quality more than handling?

Oh crap. I feel a :lock: coming up

I've ridden in a Mustang GT. The ride quality is good.

Mustang looks pretty cool, has that 'image' that Vuk mentioned and its cheap. So yeah....as Vuk said - "image price looks" ;)

took two pages to figure out why there are so many :?