• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Why is there a Rally Car in New York???

F12Bwth

Im a big rally fan... or so I thought.. and then there I was in a gas station in my hometown of Yonkers, NY, filling up when being towed on a flatbed behind a pickup was a Red Subaru Impreza Rally car with the number 13 on it.. So I scrambled for my camera and got one shot off.

IMG_1931.jpg

I must admit its perhaps the WORST SHOT of a car ever... and since it didnt focus fast enough the names on the side are blur.. does anyone have an idea of why its in this area? (Heres a sat veiw of where I saw it , because its cool) http://maps.google.com/maps?q=yonkers+NY&ll=40.953255,-73.847222&spn=0.008093,0.010947&t=k&hl=en

it's there for the same reason rally cars are seen being towed all around the world - the competitors don't *live* in the forests you know...

Some rather blunt responses there! I expect it will be a privately owned car attending a small rally. Looks like it could be Group N, which means it won't be crazy expensive like a Group A car.

Yea i saw a few rally cars in NYC before.

On the GWB i saw two red EVO 8 Group N rally cars the first year they introduced the Evo in the states. But the most interesting one i saw was a Evo 6 rally car (remember...no Evos in the states except for the 8 and 9) parked outside of a auto shop.

Thanks for the responses Some of you... Its just that people over here dont rally because they most likely dont know what it is... .. its almost the equivalent of a spotting a Nascar Pickup in australia.. which I hope is very rare or I seem dumb.. this part of NY doesnt even have any racing tracks in the vicinity. Ill do some reasearch into the siighting myself.. how many red subaru's can be #13..

There are rallys in the states, There's one just a few hours from here in Northern MI....Lot's of subarus there, that's for sure.

looks like a Mitsubishi evo to me...

hmmm.. this problably has something to do with it... but more must be going on:
rally.jpg

"well we are the best in the world like "

You are what Now?

Do I have to remind you that Finnish drivers almost won over HALF of all the WDC in Rallying.

That's hell of alot more then what you Irish has manage.

BTW you can buy a Subaru Impreza STI rally car or a Mitchu Evo something and drive around with them.

So probably a nobody who put a number on the side to try and look cool.

totaly we are :p

tell you wat go to my site and download my local rally coverage (galway) its the best

www.irishrallyvideos.com

how many wr cars do you have in finland we have over 60 ... (thats the ones that are less than 3 years old) we are better than the british were catching ye finish ye better look out :p

p0w3r said:
Yea i saw a few rally cars in NYC before.

On the GWB i saw two red EVO 8 Group N rally cars the first year they introduced the Evo in the states. But the most interesting one i saw was a Evo 6 rally car (remember...no Evos in the states except for the 8 and 9) parked outside of a auto shop.

New York is presently bidding to hold a round of the World Rally Championship in 2008, Ireland, Canada, Norway and South Africa are also making bids. There is talks of 2 Rounds being available.

To actually bid for a round you are required to outline the Rally and to run it atleast twice before it can be officially used for a World Round.

I personally hope it goes to New York or Canada the exposure will heavily help the manufactures and draw more money.

I don?t have the link, but this was released on another forum:

The Sullivan County Visitors Association and Rally New York, Ltd. have reached an agreement to pursue a bid for a future round of the World Rally Championship.

Rally New York is seeking approval to submit a bid to the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) to host a World Rally Championship here in the Sullivan County Catskills. The FIA is interested in expanding the World Rally series especially with a location in the United States. The observation year would be slated for early 2007 with the actual event held from 2008 on an annual basis.

Rally New York has already received approval from the Town Supervisors of the towns where the championship would be held and legislative approval from Sullivan County.

?We are very interested in bringing an automobile race of this importance to Sullivan County and fully support the efforts of this experienced promoter,? stated Chris Cunningham, the Sullivan County Legislative Chairman. The Sullivan County Visitors Association is working hand in hand with Rally New York seeking public and private partnerships to sponsor the event.

?A World Championship event of this caliber will give Sullivan County world recognition and a substantial boost to the economy of Sullivan County, the region and the entire State of New York,? said Roberta Byron-Lockwood, President & CEO of the Sullivan County Visitors Association.

Ivan Orisek, President of Rally New York, Ltd. stated that the process is a two year venture with the first year being an observation event in which observers from the FIA would evaluate the rally to see if it meets specifications to be included into the World Rally Championship. The next year would be the actual event seen on TV by hundreds of millions of rally fans around the world. The economic effects of an event of this magnitude are millions of dollars during the event and residual millions due to the extreme exposure of the race.

Ed Jackson, Deputy Clerk of the Course added: ?This is a culmination of our five-year effort to bring rallying in the United States out of distant wilderness inaccessible to spectators and to the vicinity of New York City.? Sullivan County Catskills is a resort area located only 90 miles northwest of New York City with excellent highway access.

Rally New York, Ltd. is already the promoter of Rally New York USA and International Rally New York, two of the eight events being held in the 2006 United States Rally Championship. Rally New York will seek support of ACCUS, the United States Affiliate of FIA, the United States Auto Club (USAC) and National Auto Sport Association (NASA) for the bid to the FIA.

Press release

WRC in the US (especially the north east) would rock. i would waste vacation days from work to be in attendance. :thumbsup:

sorry but wont happen in the US,,, i was talking to a FIA rally fella the last day and in 2007 they are doing the champ in 8 round from jan- june and then it will be ran from sept to march (2007-2008) ... to be honest rallying in the US is not big enuff yet.

i actually think that that same car was photographed before in traffic.

anto-t said:
sorry but wont happen in the US,,, i was talking to a FIA rally fella the last day and in 2007 they are doing the champ in 8 round from jan- june and then it will be ran from sept to march (2007-2008) ... to be honest rallying in the US is not big enuff yet.

Braking of the Rally Championship atm is nothing more then an idea being throwen around, thats it, It hasn't been confirmed at all on any level.

You may of also forgot but the USA has had a round of the World Rally Championship before in 1986. It was the last round of Group B in histroy.