• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Why is there such a rivalry between Top Gear & Fifth Gea

ishigakisensei

I've noticed this among some posters here and I have to say that, from my point of view that both shows are different genres. I see it as fans bickering over Star Trek and Star Wars. Yes, both happen in space, but one is science fiction (ST) and the other is Space Fantasy (SW).

Top Gear is more entertainment oriented while Fifth Gear is more review oriented. I like 'em both for different reasons.

Well the rivalry is partly created by the shows themselves. Each show likes to take not-so-subtle jabs at the other. In truth they are all friends and know each other well. It's about playing the fan base.

Here is a brief history of the two shows and how they started.

http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1002

Arguably, many say one show (FG) was the direct result of a bitter dissagreement in the other(Original-TG). Although lately it seems the rivalry has been getting watered down..... If we had a Finalgear cocktail party, there would be some awkward tension between FG and TG.

Re: Why is there such a rivalry between Top Gear & Fifth

ishigakisensei said:
Top Gear is more entertainment oriented while Fifth Gear is more review oriented. I like 'em both for different reasons.
Agreed with and true.

But there isn't rivalry amoungst the fans of the shows. Sometimes fans judge Fifth Gear so hard because it can be 'not as good' as Top Gear.

There definatly is some friendly rivalry between the programs themselves...but at the end of the day, its all a bit of fun.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Sometimes fans judge Fifth Gear so hard because it can be 'not as good' as Top Gear.

Sometimes a Lotus Espirit lacks the off road ability of a Hummer H1. :D It's unfair, in my view beacuse each caters to a different audience. Some appreciate both.

I had thought that any tension that exist(ed?) between Clarkson and Tiff stemmed from Tiff being a real driver and Clarkson being just an overgrown kid playing with grown-up cars. No proof, but with human nature being what it is....

I wished I had access to all of the old Fifth Gear episodes and first two seasons of TG to judge how the series have progressed. I'll find 'em in time.

ishigakisensei said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Sometimes fans judge Fifth Gear so hard because it can be 'not as good' as Top Gear.

Sometimes a Lotus Espirit lacks the off road ability of a Hummer H1. :D

And neither can hit 200mph :p

problem is fifth gear isnt a public show. if they were supported by the bbc i bet they would have as much fun as clarkson.

No Boss said:
If we had a Finalgear cocktail party, there would be some awkward tension between FG and TG.

I couldn't see Renesis at a Cocktail party to be honest. :lol:

blaydexi said:
problem is fifth gear isnt a public show. if they were supported by the bbc i bet they would have as much fun as clarkson.

I must plead ignorance on BBS/UK television show funding. All I know is that if you own a TV you have to pay some fee and authoriites drive around with some scanners to detect cheats. In Japan, just pretend you cannot speak Japanese when the NHK rep comes by and its all done. :thumbsup:

One of the digs is when some people say.

For Example: One of the guests said they went into 5th gear (on the car :D ) and Clarkson said I would profer to go into Top Gear myself.

That was not that long ago as well.

Tom.

It's mentioned in the history thread above, but I'll distill it for you.

Top Gear, the original Top Gear, existed since the 70's as a boring, fact-driven show like most car shows are. In the late 80's a young Jeremy Clarkson appeared as a reviewer and slowly started putting some humor and wit in his reviews. He started doing videos and getting more and more outrageous. By the late 90's, Clarkson had become a star and was almost too big for the show. (He was co-presenting at the time on old Top Gear with Quentin, Tiff, and Vicky -- the latter two who are now on Fifth Gear).

When Clarkson's ego exploded and he demanded more money and control, BBC told him to take a walk, and he did, went on to do other things (writing, videos, a chat show, etc.). Old Top Gear became boring, ratings slid, and the show was cancelled.

Channel 5, not affiliated with the BBC, saw this as an opportunity and scooped up the remnants of the Top Gear crew and reformed them as Fifth Gear. Today's Fifth Gear is close to what old Top Gear was like.

BBC realizes their mistake and now Fifth Gear is a hit; so they go back to Clarkson and offer him tons of money and complete control over the show. He comes back and reformulates the new Top Gear in his image -- crazy stunts, head-to-heads, The Stig, races, conkers, et al.

So, Jeremy used to work with most of the people at Fifth Gear and still apparently fires friendly spitballs at Tiff. But it's playful banter, Tiff has been in Jeremy's videos. They are rivals without hating each other.

Jeremy and Tiff also do the 'MPH' live show together every year in the UK. If you've never been, BTW, it's very good and well worth a trip.

janstett said:
It's mentioned in the history thread above, but I'll distill it for you.

Top Gear, the original Top Gear, existed since the 70's as a boring, fact-driven show like most car shows are. In the late 80's a young Jeremy Clarkson appeared as a reviewer and slowly started putting some humor and wit in his reviews. He started doing videos and getting more and more outrageous. By the late 90's, Clarkson had become a star and was almost too big for the show. (He was co-presenting at the time on old Top Gear with Quentin, Tiff, and Vicky -- the latter two who are now on Fifth Gear).

When Clarkson's ego exploded and he demanded more money and control, BBC told him to take a walk, and he did, went on to do other things (writing, videos, a chat show, etc.). Old Top Gear became boring, ratings slid, and the show was cancelled.

Channel 5, not affiliated with the BBC, saw this as an opportunity and scooped up the remnants of the Top Gear crew and reformed them as Fifth Gear. Today's Fifth Gear is close to what old Top Gear was like.

BBC realizes their mistake and now Fifth Gear is a hit; so they go back to Clarkson and offer him tons of money and complete control over the show. He comes back and reformulates the new Top Gear in his image -- crazy stunts, head-to-heads, The Stig, races, conkers, et al.

So, Jeremy used to work with most of the people at Fifth Gear and still apparently fires friendly spitballs at Tiff. But it's playful banter, Tiff has been in Jeremy's videos. They are rivals without hating each other.

Well said....thread over.

And just wonder how good car program topgear could do with their current budget instead of present "no information value at all" show :(

trionic said:
And just wonder how good car program topgear could do with their current budget instead of present "no information value at all" show :(

And just imagine how boring it would be.

And how soon that boring program would lose it's finances...

Hazardous said:

With no commercials, how does Top Gear fund all their antics? It is obvious that many things they do cost a lot of money.

ishigakisensei said:
Hazardous said:

With no commercials, how does Top Gear fund all their antics? It is obvious that many things they do cost a lot of money.
The BBC is owned by the British government, they pay the bills.

Made In the USA said:
ishigakisensei said:
Hazardous said:

The BBC is owned by the British government, they pay the bills.

Not quite. They're licenced by the government, but not owned by it.

The BBC gets it's money from the TV licence fees - about ?108 a year per TV, that anyone who gets terrestrial TV in the UK has to pay.

That, and sales of BBC products, selling their programs to other networks [Dr Who to the American SciFi channel, for example] and some government funding.

More detail here.