Why Jason Dawe got replaced after the first series?

Actually he got dropped from Autocar for composing this article....

JamesMayAutocar.jpg

Noone on the mag's staff noticed until readers spotted it and phoned thinking they had worked out a puzzle and would qualify for a mystery prize.

Personally, I'd have promote him on the spot!

:p

Last edited:
I don't know what is worse, coming up with that or discovering it.

Actually he got dropped from Autocar for composing this article....

He was a sub-editor on Autocar. He went on to write for Car magazine (and some others) after that.

Geek...moi?

Wut choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Back OT: I just remembered Dawe did a segment where he took three supercars to a kindergarden to see which one the kids liked best as a "poster car". The Contach won IIRC. That was actaully kinda cool.

Topgear productionoffice (shed) near the end of season 1

*Clarkson storms into Andy's office*

:jeremy: I think we need to get rid of the fat bloke....yesterday he tried to eat Richard again!

Last edited:
Topgear productionoffice (shed) near the end of season 1

*Clarckson storms into Andy's office*

:jeremy: I think we need to get rid of the fat bloke....yesterday he tried to eat Richard again!

Careful, you might unintentionally spawn a whole new fan fiction disaster. ;)

Last edited:
Back OT: I just remembered Dawe did a segment where he took three supercars to a kindergarden to see which one the kids liked best as a "poster car". The Contach won IIRC. That was actaully kinda cool.

Yet again he didn't drive the car, ok admittedly he couldn't fit in a Countach, but it's odd he rarely drives any car. UCR it's always Penny.

I actually liked Dawe; he was given kind of lame segments but he was funny and charismatic IMO. You could tell that Hammond and Clarkson didn't really like him though; Dawe would get super excited during "Insider Dealing" (which May also did for one series) and Clarkson would clearly try to get him to shut up so they could get back to something more interesting. Clarkson has also panned Jason in interviews, saying he just didn't work. He was funny during the News though, and he was a good sport about being a fatass (Clarkson mocked him mercilessly). The "race" he did against the Ford Th!nk and his role as the "baddy" in the James Bond car segments were quite good. I feel that he would have done well in the zanier challenges the show eventually started doing.

All that said, though, James is miles better.

Yes, "eat Richard" is not far away from "gobble Dicky". Fire away, Rule 34.

Put the word "out" or "up" in there and you've got yourself an entire forum dedicated to it.

Yet again he didn't drive the car, ok admittedly he couldn't fit in a Countach, but it's odd he rarely drives any car. UCR it's always Penny.

That's true, it is a bit strange.

I actually liked Dawe; he was given kind of lame segments but he was funny and charismatic IMO. You could tell that Hammond and Clarkson didn't really like him though; Dawe would get super excited during "Insider Dealing" (which May also did for one series) and Clarkson would clearly try to get him to shut up so they could get back to something more interesting. Clarkson has also panned Jason in interviews, saying he just didn't work. He was funny during the News though, and he was a good sport about being a fatass (Clarkson mocked him mercilessly). The "race" he did against the Ford Th!nk and his role as the "baddy" in the James Bond car segments were quite good. I feel that he would have done well in the zanier challenges the show eventually started doing.

All that said, though, James is miles better.

Yea, overall he wasn't nearly as bad as he's been mythified out to be, but James is so much better.

Wilman and Clarkson always wanted May as the third presenter (he had featured in the last series of the old format of TG) but he was unsure the new format would work so Dawe was drafted in instead.

Once May saw the first series he changed his mind and joined the team so Dawe was surplus to requirements.
Where's your source or did you just made up what you think happened?

Never heard of that. In the interviews, like the one with shane warne, that jezza gave when they refer to dawes, he admits that dawes wasn't working. Dawes' is really just a nice guy without much charisma nor lasting impression to be honest. Kinda like a level above your standard car bore presenting the facts to you on the telly. James took over the mantle when he replaced dawes but he made the "character", which is also his personality anyway, more entertaining and gelled well with the other 2 personalities on the show.

Where's your source or did you just made up what you think happened?

Damned if I can find it, but a radio interview James gave some time ago, one of his numerous ones with Simon Mayo I think.

Nice tone by the way, n00bmeyer, there are numerous more pleasant ways to have phrased that. Have some red blobs on me. :p

James didn't get the job straight away. He had to audition for it. I remember an interview with some other guy - can't remember who - who auditioned as well to replace Jason Dawe. He mentioned he didn't get the job, because he was too similar to Hammond - short and loud. (Wheras of course, he didn't get it, because James was way better. ;))

Last edited:
Damned if I can find it, but a radio interview James gave some time ago, one of his numerous ones with Simon Mayo I think.

Nice tone by the way, n00bmeyer, there are numerous more pleasant ways to have phrased that. Have some red blobs on me. :p

Top Gear Audio Interviews
Can't remember when he said that. Maybe will listen to these interviews again while i'm doing my work.

I said that in that tone because I prefer to have some proper evidence to back it up instead of vague recollections of "i remember back in an interview blah blah blah." Especially when this guy had this to say about your initial comment.
Your reply made me have a renew evaluation if May deserves my respection.

Oh yea the red blobs. Oh well. I don't spend too much time posting nor make a big fuss about my post counts anyways. :)

Last edited: