Why no SLS review?

drop24

Why didn't Top Gear do a test of the Mercedes SLS Gullwing? Jezza is obviously a huge Merc fan and the Gullwing has to be up there with 458 as one of the best looking and most exciting new cars. Can't wait to see the SLS Black.

You can only fit so much into the show. Gotta cut something.

Indeed. Why not just start doing more double reviews of random cars like that strange Camaro vs. Mercedes E-Class shootout? They could have easily put the SLS up against the new VW Touareg. :D

Do remember there'll be a new series soon. I'll bet you anything that the SLS will be in it.

Probably best to film a car like that in summer, and then show it in the Autumn.

ill bet money that the SLS review will be a race against richard and james. i can just feel it.

99.99% chance the reason is really boring. Something like filming schedules and press cars couldn't be lined up.

99.99% chance the reason is really boring. Something like filming schedules and press cars couldn't be lined up.

I doubt it. They need time to rent out a meteorite to summersault it over.

didnt they just recently announce a new space shuttle flight? they say the "plan to continue with the shuttle to make sure we can remain in space" but i now know whats really going on...hmmm

wrap your head around james and richard racing jeremy to Mars to prove a car could do it faster...just sayin!

It would make a great GT car I think. I'd love to see it do an epic race like that trip to Oslo with the SLR.

I would love to see a race, but they can still do a normal track test too. They did that with the GT-R and SLR... They could have easily cut enough fat from a few of the "challenges" this series to fit in a track test.

I agree. Something is strange about this car not being mentioned in this series. It's almost like Mercedes wouldn't give them one for fear of a negative review that would kill sales. Even though a quick lap around the test track isn't what this car is about, a slow lap would hurt it's image a lot. Usually the Top Gear solution would be just to buy one like they did with that Challenger in america. Of course the Benz would have set them back a bit more than a Dodge. The could have borrowed one like they did with the Enzo but perhaps they couldn't find someone willing to offer up their brand new car. They're not exactly easy on them.

There's nothing strange about it not being mentioned in this series, IMO. It's not on sale in Europe yet (as far as I know). I think it'll be in Series 16, which starts early next year (according to the September issues of TG the Mag). I'd also like to see it in an epic race of some sort. :nod:

You're 100% right and I was 100% wrong about no mention of the SLS. It was mentioned during the news segment of 15x01 while discussing the best cars to come out since the last series aired. Jeremy said the SLS was the best car he had driven while off the air. He called it "insanely fast", "a mental", and said it was "awesome".

I think Mercedes wont lend TG one, same thing as Ferrari woulndt lend a Enzo to TG or Bugatti a Veyron in the last years (they may changed their mind)

I think Bugatti loaned them the Veyron SS to take around the track.

You're right that they wouldn't lend them a bog-standard Veyron to take for a lap (though they did so for display in the studio when needed); the one that went around in 12x04 was borrowed from a private owner. I think they sent three to Abu Dhabi for the Mag last year -- one of which drag-raced against the McLaren F1.

My belief is that they're holding off until they can get an SLS and MP4-12C at the same time.

There's nothing strange about it not being mentioned in this series, IMO. It's not on sale in Europe yet (as far as I know). I think it'll be in Series 16, which starts early next year (according to the September issues of TG the Mag). I'd also like to see it in an epic race of some sort. :nod:

Well, apart from being told the SLS was going to be included in Series 14:

Then there?s the Special around Christmas, and then the Shit Show in January, the one where we have no money left. And believe me, we have no money left, not a frigging bean, so fans who?ve been on this eight-year journey with us, stick with us that night. Car-wise, the Merc SLS will be in there somewhere and the Lexus LF-A is in the can, as is the VXR Insignia.

Given the car is now on sale in Australia and Fifth Gear have already tested it, I'd say it's been available for testing for some months in Europe.

Last edited: