Why safety in motorsports of prime importance

Bodypaint

Car(s)
Zenvo (I wish)
Terrible. I didn't get why lots of people ran to the scene, but it seemed like no one really helped. A photografer just started taking pictures, and the driver wanted to help the man in black, but he wasn't allowed to? No one helped that guy.

Dogbert

Helsinki Smash Rod
Car(s)
Roger Dean's Rocks
Terrible. I didn't get why lots of people ran to the scene, but it seemed like no one really helped. A photografer just started taking pictures, and the driver wanted to help the man in black, but he wasn't allowed to? No one helped that guy.
Unless you know first aid, there's really nothing you can do in a situation like that. Chances are you'll actually end up making shit worse, actually.

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
'14 Fiesta ST
Unless you know first aid, there's really nothing you can do in a situation like that. Chances are you'll actually end up making shit worse, actually.
Actually, one of the things they tell you first, and emphasize most, in a first aid class (in Germany at least...) is not to think that way. Even if you're not sure what and how to do something, everything you do in an attempt to help is better than doing nothing for fear of making things worse. If somebody is in such a critical state that he absolutely requires immediate first aid, shit has hit the fan already anyway...
Obviously that's generally speaking, but it is very important to overcome that fear of doing something wrong. As the instructor in my first aid class (who actually was an experienced paramedic for the red cross) put it, the number of people who suffered because of falsely applied first aid is completely insignificant to the number of those who died because people didn't even try.

Sorry for the tangent...

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
shad_68: Here in Germany, we don't have to fear being sued for doing something wrong while attempting to help, though. This may be different in other countries (to my knowledge, the USA would be one of the other countries).

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
'14 Fiesta ST
That thought crossed my mind as well after posting, as sue happy as Americans appear to be, things might look different...
Also the fact that in Germany every driver on the road is somewhat familiar with basic aid (not even real first aid) from the mandatory courses you need to do for a licence... I don't think anyone but a a few people actually really remember what to do, but still, just having been told and/or seen what to do once is a big step. I guess the US (and other countries too?) don't have that, for lack of a better term, 'familiarity' with basic aid. :|

TBR600

Car(s)
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra, 2010 Mazda3
Anyone seen this yet? It's from this weekend, a crash in a Mexican NASCAR series Ithink... Fatal, as should be pretty obvious from the force of the impact. So stupid that a driver would have to die in an avoidable accident, another of example of safety being very important in all forms of motorsport. RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b036OYyiwoc

Looks like they should have at least put a temporary wall to close that gap up, it would have probably saved his life.

Last edited:

MP4/14

That wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be judging by some of the comments.

All I will say is when stupidity compounds things will go wrong and there arent many poeple you can blame.
No barriers. Whats up with that? Why was everyone so close the that near side of the track?

At least no one died is all I can say.

piercey

Car(s)
Piper Warrior / public transport
shad_68: Here in Germany, we don't have to fear being sued for doing something wrong while attempting to help, though. This may be different in other countries (to my knowledge, the USA would be one of the other countries).
Off topic, but the US does have good samaritan laws in place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law. The few times in which someone was slammed with a lawsuit and lost is moving a person with a back injury when the person is not in "immediate peril." (ex: car accident, no fire, no immediate second collision: don't touch them).

On topic, that NASCAR crash was so sad. So preventable.

MP4/14

The only time I've seen the Good Somaritin Law in effect was the last ever episdoe of Seinfeld :p

anto-t

Car(s)
volvo s 60 2.0T
a young lad was killed last year when after watching a car at a rally he went into the road to see the rally car go down the road.. he dident hear the car that was 7 seconds behind teh first rally car and was killed...

at rally events theres not much you can do as the stages are so long that you cant put in barriers the whole way around and marshals to look after people...

Did any one die at the event above? I also heard that a driver was killed in eastern Europe at a rally a few weeks ago... its a dangerous spot but thats why we do it..